Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Out of curiousity, what did you use to glue it on there that didn't work?
3M 90 Spray adhesive. Also ran into some issues with the edges. (though I have a solution for that). Either way, I'm nixing leather and alcantara (which felt and looked nice but looked horrible there).
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Well it's good that it didn't work. Also I just want to put the rubber option to rest.

I was able to test some silicon rubber. Between the quality looking cheap and it's inability to keep itself in position properly in got nixed this weekend as well.

What WAS interesting was that I was able to charge through it (with maglock) on a caseless phone.
Have you considered something like a rubberized spray-on undercoating? Very durable products out there...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah that looks decent but I think it will be pretty hard on those of us who are not using a phone case. I'm looking forward to the softer option and see what that looks like. I do like the look of that though.
I don't have a case and played around with the aluminum he had. I know the guys aren't planning on using it, but I wouldn't have had a concern about it with a phone unless you're throwing the phone at it rather than setting it down. I'd be more concerned/annoyed by the temperature that aluminum would have in summer and winter. And that non-magsafe phones would slide around like they're on ice.

3M 90 Spray adhesive. Also ran into some issues with the edges. (though I have a solution for that). Either way, I'm nixing leather and alcantara (which felt and looked nice but looked horrible there).
I saw this as well this weekend. Even without manufacturing issues, I just don't think it looked good in the truck.

Personally I think that the printed plate that @Sojhinn previewed earlier looks pretty damn good, but they guys want to offer something for folks who have a bias against 3D printing.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Have you considered something like a rubberized spray-on undercoating? Very durable products out there...
You will be able to spray the option we have. I do not believe we will be offering that as option though. I REALLY tried to find a workable solution. Just through our own options and the options that are out there for us. I couldn't find a good solution. I feel like the option we are creating though will be something people really like. I'm excited to see it.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
You will be able to spray the option we have. I do not believe we will be offering that as option though. I REALLY tried to find a workable solution. Just through our own options and the options that are out there for us. I couldn't find a good solution. I feel like the option we are creating though will be something people really like. I'm excited to see it.
I will reiterate one more time that I love the design you've come up with. I think you should stop worrying :involve: about pleasing everyone with your plate and start selling. People on this forum have bought/experimented different wheels, tires, phone holders, center console storage etc... in search of better solutions and it will not stop anytime s00n. It's the beauty of modding.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I will reiterate one more time that I love the design you've come up with. I think you should stop worrying :involve: about pleasing everyone with your plate and start selling. People on this forum have bought/experimented different wheels, tires, phone holders, center console storage etc... in search of better solutions and it will not stop anytime s00n. It's the beauty of modding.
Gimme a week and we will start selling.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Alrighty mateys! This is most likely what we are going with! Let us know what you think. Darker wood is walnut. Bamboo is the lighter color.

Bonus points if you can figure out where the topo is centered.

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1144

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1143

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1142

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1141

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1140

Rivian R1T R1S First Look at Premium Charging Plate IMG_1139

donguanella

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S + X Refresh
This looks killer! Love the idea.

But I can't help but want the wood to match. It's so close! Applying a finish to match the color would be the ultimate chef's kiss.

I feel like you could find a match using Rubio Monocoat - it's an oil finish that dries matte and would match the sheen and raised grain of the dash/console trim perfectly.

https://www.rubiomonocoatusa.com/pages/oil-plus-2c-colors

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
This looks killer! Love the idea.

But I can't help but want the wood to match. It's so close! Applying a finish to match the color would be the ultimate chef's kiss.

I feel like you could find a match using Rubio Monocoat - it's an oil finish that dries matte and would match the sheen and raised grain of the dash/console trim perfectly.

https://www.rubiomonocoatusa.com/pages/oil-plus-2c-colors
I'll look into this. This will always be an option for people. Also we can always offer the plate on its own. This design allows us to just sell the plate, and we can have some real fun with the designs.

(You will need our base though)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Any chance of getting this in all black?
We are discussing just offering the 3d printed plate as an option. Most likely that will happen, but you would see the pucks at that point.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
đź‘Ť!! I want the walnut plate with the base. May get another plate later to experiment. How is the mag safe holding on this plate with the iPhone 14 Pro Max with cover?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
We are discussing just offering the 3d printed plate as an option. Most likely that will happen, but you would see the pucks at that point.
So no way to stain the wood black? I definitely like the wood over a 3D print plate.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
đź‘Ť!! I want the walnut plate with the base. May get another plate later to experiment. How is the mag safe holding on this plate with the iPhone 14 Pro Max with cover?
No issues with mine. But it will need to be a magsafe case. (The ones with the metal clip inside it)

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
So no way to stain the wood black? I definitely like the wood over a 3D print plate.

So I spent some time looking for some black ash. But couldn't find either a place to do it for me or for the possibility of me doing it myself. I'm still looking and hope to have this as an option in the future. I personally want to have one in black.

But I have to say the walnut looks great in my truck. Tomorrow we will take some pictures in a forest edge truck.
Sponsored