First Drives Cancelled in WA

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
How would this impact delivery in the state?

GR
Primarily, it would actually allow the sale to take place in WA, not IL. This would provide protection to the consumer by holding Rivian, Lucid, etc. accountable to the myriad of consumer protection laws, including the Lemon law. As it currently stands, we are not covered by these protections.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just want to sit in the darn thing and have my wife drive it 5 miles so we can decide if we want to keep waiting.
R1S or R1T?

I think I've told you before, come on over to Kitsap and we got you!

OP
OP
Forager

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Primarily, it would actually allow the sale to take place in WA, not IL. This would provide protection to the consumer by holding Rivian, Lucid, etc. accountable to the myriad of consumer protection laws, including the Lemon law. As it currently stands, we are not covered by these protections.
Wow. I had no idea we were not covered under the WA consumer protection laws because of the legal gymnastics being done to sell Rivians “here”. It does make a lot of sense, however. It probably also means that if WA ever passes EV credit legislation, we may not be eligible.

R1S or R1T?

I think I've told you before, come on over to Kitsap and we got you!
We keep flip flopping. R1T is the preference (and what is ordered) if my wife is comfortable with the size, R1S if not. If both are too big, then it’s R1T and TBD. The goal of the test drive was to start finalizing these decisions!

I will send you a DM.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
My test drive got cancelled as well yesterday. Now I understand why :-(. Thanks for starting this thread. Dealers and politics always frustrating 😖.

Last edited:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I'd be willing to let some people do limited test drives in my R1T. Would anyone else in the area? Maybe we could organize a Saturday event here soon and invite people to come out and do test-drives and ride-alongs?

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

wait, so does this mean those of us who are waiting on vehicles may not be able to purchase it?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
wait, so does this mean those of us who are waiting on vehicles may not be able to purchase it?
No, that's not what this means. You'll continue to purchase out of Illinois.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I understand different states have different laws. If we are not protected by WA laws because the transaction "takes place" in IL, wouldn't we still be protected by the laws there?

GR

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand different states have different laws. If we are not protected by WA laws because the transaction "takes place" in IL, wouldn't we still be protected by the laws there?

GR
Nope. Those laws are written to protect Illinois residents.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Nope. Those laws are written to protect Illinois residents.
So, no interstate commerce laws protecting consumers making purchases across state lines? There's gotta be some form of federal protection if individual states don't offer them for whatever reason, right?

GR

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, no interstate commerce laws protecting consumers making purchases across state lines? There's gotta be some form of federal protection if individual states don't offer them for whatever reason, right?

GR
Maybe some, but lemon laws in particular are state specific.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. So, if I were to buy a vehicle in OR and register it in WA, would I not be protected by WA's consumer laws?

GR
Nope. The dealer/manufacturer may choose to abide by these protections, but the AG would have no power to enforce.
Which Vehicles Are Eligible?
The Lemon Law covers most classes of new motor vehicles including “demonstrators” originally purchased or leased at retail in Washington .

Last edited:

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Nope. The dealer/manufacturer may choose to abide by these protections, but the AG would have no power to enforce.
Didn't realize that. I hope this issue never come up during my ownership (whenever that might start)!

GR
Sponsored