Sponsored

First 40 miles of R1S ownership compared to BMW IX50 and Tesla Model Y Performance

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 M50i, BMW IX 50, R1S on order.
Posting day 1 impressions of Rivian R1S. Own an IX50 and X5 m50i. Previously owned a 2021 Tesla Model Y performance.

• Smooth delivery but had a paint defect. Never ordered a vehicle before from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus that would have passed QC with this defect. My specific Model Y Performance did not have any paint defects. Guide says mobility service can fix it and so accepted delivery but detailer I took it to is skeptical this can really be fixed (especially in mobile service setting).
  • Interior quality is more comparable to base configured lower-end products from the European “luxury” guys. Think X3, Q5, glc. Nice enough if you check your expectations and better than Tesla Y and arguably X/S. But doesn’t have sense of occasion.
  • Driving is “fine“ and inline with my expectations given truck roots. I think the IX and X5 m50I handle better on the twisties. Maybe it was the weather but traction on launches were a little squirrelly. Rivian has off-road capabilities while the IX does not but I don’t anticipate going off-road much if at all. Leaving it in sport mode helped a little with body roll (is there any impact to tire wear like eco mode??? pointers would be appreciated).
  • Air suspension is ok in default setting. IX air suspension is more refined with less bounce while handling potholes, rough roads with ease.
  • Interior cabin is quiet enough but IX is much quieter on highway driving. Motor whine was considerably louder and not in a good way on R1S. IX is nearly silent except at very slow speeds. I think Tesla Model Y had less motor whine. Hopefully Enduro motors are quieter.
  • Infotainment seems well laid out and snappier than IX. More comparable to Tesla. Assume it won’t be as customizable in terms of look (like the Tesla GUI) while IX does have some stylish graphics.
  • Just preference but wish R1S steering wheel was beefier.
  • Wish there was a way to adjust side bolsters on seating but otherwise comfortable.
  • Had low expectations on sound. Exceeded my expectations. Not the best but nowhere near the worst I’ve heard At this price point.
  • I can understand now why there are aftermarket running board options.
  • Love the amount of the storage capacity and 3rd row legroom.
Only 40 miles in and it’s now at the PPF installer. At the pre-March 2022 price of ~$80k, it has met my expectations other than the paint defect (wonder if that “binding contract” I signed will still make me eligible for the $7500 pre IRA tax credit). I don’t think I would be happy at the current $96k pricing and would instead go with the Enduro option. It’s an impressive first showing from Rivian but I still think today I prefer the IX more. May just let the wife have the Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

OP
OP

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I’ve experienced the 0-60 launch 3x. Twice today and once in January 2022 in a neighbor’s R1S (He was within the first 1000 shipped). IN all those instances, it felt like the R1S was a bit squirrelly as the best way to describe it. Perhaps it was the tire temperatures and outside temps but does the R1S struggle with traction in a launch? Sure it’s faster but wasn’t as confidence inspiring. Both my neighbor’s R1S and my own have 22” and granted it’s not summer time. Just never had that issue on cold days with IX, X5 m50i, Tesla MYP, etc. What matters less to me is 0-60 times and what is more interesting to me is how composed a vehicle is in the twisties.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

We had a paint blemish on our MYP. We rejected it and got another one. Glad we did.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So I’ve experienced the 0-60 launch 3x. Twice today and once in January 2022 in a neighbor’s R1S (He was within the first 1000 shipped). IN all those instances, it felt like the R1S was a bit squirrelly as the best way to describe it. Perhaps it was the tire temperatures and outside temps but does the R1S struggle with traction in a launch? Sure it’s faster but wasn’t as confidence inspiring. Both my neighbor’s R1S and my own have 22” and granted it’s not summer time. Just never had that issue on cold days with IX, X5 m50i, Tesla MYP, etc. What matters less to me is 0-60 times and what is more interesting to me is how composed a vehicle is in the twisties.
The X5 is 2k lbs less weight and has half the torque of the R1S and not from zero RPM. To compare traction/launch try using 2/3 throttle, R1S is still very fast but more refined.

OP
OP

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For normal merging on a highway, the R1S acceleration was perfectly fine. Maybe it’s the tires? Maybe it’s 4 separate motors all trying to fight for traction at the same time? Haven’t launched in a Model X Plaid but have sat in a Model S and didn’t experience the same issue.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
In my experience, my truck hooks up pretty reliably. Maybe you aren't used to that kind of speed but I've never been in a car with that kind of 0-60 time and didn't have some traction or some feel issues. The R1 seems to be pretty friendly for that kind of launch compared to some of the other cars i've really got onto.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Disagree on interior quality comparing to Q5 and X3. Way more plastic and rubber materials in those. Except the steering wheel, the vegan leather and materials on Dash and Doors outshines all BMWs that don’t have the Full Merino option. Speaking from 30 years of BMWs. I’d be tempted to say that the steering wheel leather in the Rivian will also hold up better than that soft-touch M wheel leather. Where the cheap BMWs score is fit & finish of interior versus Rivian.

iX has one of BMWs high end interiors so not surprised it would be slightly ahead of the Rivian.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
When The Count has been disappointed with his R1S a lot of the times it was a problem between the driver's seat and the steering wheel.

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Posting day 1 impressions of Rivian R1S. Own an IX50 and X5 m50i. Previously owned a 2021 Tesla Model Y performance.

• Smooth delivery but had a paint defect. Never ordered a vehicle before from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus that would have passed QC with this defect. My specific Model Y Performance did not have any paint defects. Guide says mobility service can fix it and so accepted delivery but detailer I took it to is skeptical this can really be fixed (especially in mobile service setting).
  • Interior quality is more comparable to base configured lower-end products from the European “luxury” guys. Think X3, Q5, glc. Nice enough if you check your expectations and better than Tesla Y and arguably X/S. But doesn’t have sense of occasion.
  • Driving is “fine“ and inline with my expectations given truck roots. I think the IX and X5 m50I handle better on the twisties. Maybe it was the weather but traction on launches were a little squirrelly. Rivian has off-road capabilities while the IX does not but I don’t anticipate going off-road much if at all. Leaving it in sport mode helped a little with body roll (is there any impact to tire wear like eco mode??? pointers would be appreciated).
  • Air suspension is ok in default setting. IX air suspension is more refined with less bounce while handling potholes, rough roads with ease.
  • Interior cabin is quiet enough but IX is much quieter on highway driving. Motor whine was considerably louder and not in a good way on R1S. IX is nearly silent except at very slow speeds. I think Tesla Model Y had less motor whine. Hopefully Enduro motors are quieter.
  • Infotainment seems well laid out and snappier than IX. More comparable to Tesla. Assume it won’t be as customizable in terms of look (like the Tesla GUI) while IX does have some stylish graphics.
  • Just preference but wish R1S steering wheel was beefier.
  • Wish there was a way to adjust side bolsters on seating but otherwise comfortable.
  • Had low expectations on sound. Exceeded my expectations. Not the best but nowhere near the worst I’ve heard At this price point.
  • I can understand now why there are aftermarket running board options.
  • Love the amount of the storage capacity and 3rd row legroom.
Only 40 miles in and it’s now at the PPF installer. At the pre-March 2022 price of ~$80k, it has met my expectations other than the paint defect (wonder if that “binding contract” I signed will still make me eligible for the $7500 pre IRA tax credit). I don’t think I would be happy at the current $96k pricing and would instead go with the Enduro option. It’s an impressive first showing from Rivian but I still think today I prefer the IX more. May just let the wife have the Rivian.
Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of posts on this, and sweetened the deal for me:
At the pre-March 2022 price of ~$80k, it has met my expectations other than the paint defect (wonder if that “binding contract” I signed will still make me eligible for the $7500 pre IRA tax credit).

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Yep, the $7500 rebate applies so long as you follow the steps and fill out the form properly.

I've now got nearly 9000 miles on mine. No repairs, no trips to service, no issues at all really.

As to the launch dynamics, at least in mine, on a full, hard, sport-mode launch, I'm so far in my seatback that I have trouble pointing the wheel straight. But the car generally goes in a straight line and doesn't feel like the wheels are slipping much, even at the moment of brake release.

Thanks also for the observations about the interior. I've only driven the lower-end Audi and BMWs, so that's really all I have to compare this to in the "luxury SUV" category. I'm happy enough with the interior personally, but agree it could be a bit more refined.

OP
OP

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So out of curiosity for those that took delivery this year but signed the transition rule IRA contract for the $7500
do I have to go back and try to amend my 2022 return as it was a delayed vehicle delivery that was supposed to take place in 2022 or am I supposed to file it on my 2023 income? Just a bit curious as I did take the $7500 credit on the IX as I purchased that during the transition rule period (ordered Jan 2022 but came Oct 2022).

BTW while I’ve said that the interior of the R1S is not as nice as fully upgraded merino leather interiors of a BMW (like x5, IX, X7, 8 series etc), I would say that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I do like the idea of having a car we don’t have to necessarily baby. I’m the guy that wipes down the interior of the door upon entry when it’s raining heavily outside and I want to maintain the leather. We generally have a no food, only water rule in the cars (this one will be different). Won’t bring a 2nd pair of shoes on really muddy days that is stored in the trunk. WOn’t care about the kids sitting on the seats when they get out of the pool at a friends house and the trunks are completely dried, etc. We bought this vehicle with the intention that it’s going to be for light adventuring whereas if we we bought other capable vehicles like a G-wagon or Range Rover, we’d treat it differently.

Also nogloss black plastic is a huge win. That drives me insane in vehicles.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Tldr please. It's drinking season, not reading season.
A bunch of comparisons to BMW's (yawn) and "European luxury vehicles" and a complaint about a paint defect. Paint defect sounds like service will resolve it. It still astonishes me that people will buy an $80k+ vehicle without seemingly reading a single review or watching any YouTube videos on it. đŸ€·

This topic has been beat to death. Rivian is an "adventure vehicle". Not a "luxury vehicle". 😆
Sponsored