Sponsored

Finalizing Orders When?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The only problem is a lot of people seem to be treating "deliveries begin in June 2021" as "I expect my delivery in June 2021". It's entirely possible that the first few months only see a few token deliveries to key stakeholders or first day reservation holders, with the bulk of Launch Edition deliveries taking place during Q4 2021. This would still meet the criteria of delivering all Launch Editions in 2021, but would backload them to the final months of the year.
Agreed.

As long as one R1T is built and in-transit to the customer no later than June 30, 2021, then Rivian has satisfied that promise, imo. The more difficult challenge, in my mind, is delivering the rest of LEs before December 31, 2021. I'd even be willing to give them a slight break if they've built all of the LEs and the overwhelming majority have been delivered, but a few are still in transit. In that event, I'd say they still met the goal. But if 1/1/2022 comes around and we've still got a decent percentage of LEs not built, then I view that as under-delivering.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Speaking only for NY here as laws in various states may differ but NY has buyers remorse law where you can return a car within 3 days of either signing contract or taking possession, not exactly sure which.
Not entirely true. The law applies only applies to used vehicles.

Once a new vehicle is titled and registered, it can never be sold as new again. A manufacturer may treat it like new for warranty and incentives, but it would not meet the legal definition of a new vehicle. and consumer protection and incentives applicable to new vehicles would not be in effect.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
100% agreed on this. Not only do I want to see how it really drives and handles outside of what videos show us, I need to see what it feels like inside (I’m used to larger, full size truck interiors) and what the overall drive experience (to incorporate all technology functions) is as compared to my current truck.
The Rivian is not trying to be a full size 157" wheel base F150 (which I own now) Or just like a Jeep Gladiator is not a GMC Denali. Different flavors. Rivian consumers should want the unique approach the RT1 offers. Not a direct replacement for Detroit Full Size pickups.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
that all LE's should be delivered in 2021
Does anyone have a source on this part? The forums seem pretty sure of this, but as far as I've been able to tell, people have come to this conclusion reading between the lines. I don't think Rivian has explicitly stated it.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
The Rivian is not trying to be a full size 157" wheel base F150 (which I own now) Or just like a Jeep Gladiator is not a GMC Denali. Different flavors. Rivian consumers should want the unique approach the RT1 offers. Not a direct replacement for Detroit Full Size pickups.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I don’t believe anyone thinks the Rivian is attempting to be a full size wheelbase vehicle at all. The “unique approach” you mention plays into everything I said. How it drives, how do I feel sitting in the cab, the overall UX, how the technology ecosystem really works, etc. The “adventurous lifestyle” mantra of the company and product is what has drawn us all here as it is very unique. However, if my overall experience driving the Rivian isn’t better, which is subjective and I can’t imagine that it won’t be significantly better, than my current RAM/F150 or my previous 250s, then I might reconsider. For me, the driving experience is what the direct replacement comparison is about. If was just looking for something to do exactly what my current Ram or F150 (I have both) does, I would just by another one of those.

Sponsored

outdoors_jp

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Highlander
Occupation
Geologist
Do real people actually answer Rivian emails? With the responses I've seen it may as well be an automated system, since they all basically amount to a form letter with no real information.
The last time I asked them a question I got a response from a person before I got an auto response saying someone will get back to me. I didn’t get my question answered but they said options and details will be rolling out this spring so keep an eye on the configuration page.

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I cant imagine any company bringing a $80k~ automotive product to market with many issues from a user interface/experience/roadworthy perspective. This is going to be competitive with every other highline product from known manufacturers.

I dont need to drive a Model X, Cayenne or a 700hp Land Rover to know it's an enjoyable experience. Also I dont think I've test driven the last four cars I've bought, two sight unseen.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I cant imagine any company bringing a $80k~ automotive product to market with many issues from a user interface/experience/roadworthy perspective. This is going to be competitive with every other highline product from known manufacturers.

I dont need to drive a Model X, Cayenne or a 700hp Land Rover to know it's an enjoyable experience. Also I dont think I've test driven the last four cars I've bought, two sight unseen.
I bought my last car sight unseen by text message from an ICU bed.

outdoors_jp

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Highlander
Occupation
Geologist
I have stated in other posts, but this is what I don't get. There have been 'leaks' for IPO, factory in Europe, Smaller vehicles for China. These have become THE news. I do not care about these topics. We need details on the Vehicles that we will be buying!!!!
Leak those details!!!
The leaks came from people outside of Rivian. Bankers and realtors. Rivian itself dose an annoyingly amazing job at keeping things quiet.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The last time I asked them a question I got a response from a person before I got an auto response saying someone will get back to me. I didn’t get my question answered but they said options and details will be rolling out this spring so keep an eye on the configuration page.
That's my point. Their responses are not exactly informative or helpful. It's just boilerplate.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I bought my last car sight unseen by text message from an ICU bed.
Not to derail, but this sounds like a story....

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
I'm pretty sure that all the information re: warranties, insurance, features etc. will come soon enough. The biggest conundrum in my mind is around test drives, and I'm trying to think through both sides of the story here. Obviously as customers, it is more than reasonable to expect an opportunity to test drive the vehicles before dropping upwards of $75k on one. But from Rivian's point of view, we're in the middle of a pandemic and it's that much harder to organize any such events. Not to mention, test drives are traditionally used to market and sell vehicles - and most of us pre-order holders have already drank the kool aid, so to speak.

I wonder if Rivian might be better served by taking a page out of Tesla's book and offer a 7-day/1000 mile return policy to pre-order holders instead. What are the advantages? 1) They bake in a trial period which doubles as a super-long test drive, so in theory everyone gets to "test drive" their RIvian. Every customer will appreciate the option of backing out, even though the majority will not. 2) They save resources in trying to organize test drives across the country when their focus ought to be on ramping up production.

What do y'all think? Would you forego a test drive if you knew your Rivian came with a 7-day return policy?
Yes. But I’m also set aware enough to know it’d be hard to give that thing back!

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Not to derail, but this sounds like a story....
Heh. About four years ago I had the kind of appendicitis that hits you mid stride walking across the living room - it'd felt like just a stomachache until that moment when I face planted. Fortunately my wife was home and got me to the hospital, where I woke up in the ICU three days later with an amazing scar. The rapidity of the surgery because of the burst meant I had zero muscle strength from from crotch to ribs, so the doc told me I couldn't ride my HP4 for at least six months, and I'd made it my only wheels a couple of years prior, greatly loving the ride. I'd always wanted a Z4M (they only made 3000 of them from 2006-2008), so went looking for one online. Turned out one in mint condition had popped up literally that day 20 miles from me (my silver lining). I left a VM and then texted the guy's cell phone saying I wanted the car when I got out in a few days, explaining my temporary situation, and that my wife would drop off a deposit. Deal was done. Love the ragtop car, though it's quite uncomfortable on long (8 hour-ish) trips I occasionally take, but my daughter loves the roadster even more, go figure, so she's been driving it for a few months now. So, to touch back on subject, the R1T is for me, whenever it's ready and whatever color I can finally settle on (probably Granite, with black 20-inch wheels and camp kitchen for some lakeside fun).

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
There are still a lot more questions than answers... While I am many more months behind since I am in the queue for an R1S I believe there are too many questions for both vehicles that need to be answered prior to any request for order finalization. Starting with:
1. Final vehicle configuration.
2. Service and Warranty
3. Finance and Insurance

These are just very broad strokes of areas that need much more clarity in advance of a purchase agreement.
1. Agree, obviously that will come out (and Car Magainzes and Youtube reviews), I'd imagine by April or early May
2. Agree
3. They already announced financing with Chase, and what do they have to add about insurance? Thats on you

Heh. About four years ago I had the kind of appendicitis that hits you mid stride walking across the living room - it'd felt like just a stomachache until that moment when I face planted. Fortunately my wife was home and got me to the hospital, where I woke up in the ICU three days later with an amazing scar. The rapidity of the surgery because of the burst meant I had zero muscle strength from from crotch to ribs, so the doc told me I couldn't ride my HP4 for at least six months,
Something doesnt add up - you got septic and ex-lapped for appendicitis, with no previous symptoms and were on a vent for 3 days? Not really the point of the thread, but theres not much to talk about besides the weather

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
3. They already announced financing with Chase, and what do they have to add about insurance? Thats on you
Tesla owners had issues getting affordable insurance. It was enough of a problem that Tesla is rolling out their own insurance agency.

Rivian has already said they are standing up an insurance team. They may focus on working with existing insurers to help educate them and provide data. They may partner with one or more companies to offer policies to Rivian owners. They may start their own insurance product -- we don't know yet.

Asking for details about Rivian and insurance is a fair request.
Sponsored