Sponsored

Feedback on cleaning Pleather (vegan leather)

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I configured my R1T with the Ocean Coast (white) interior. I really liked the lighter wood trim and the white pleather makes the interior look much larger. It was a tough call because I really like the Forest Edge interior too (the $2K upgrade cost, not so much).
My concern is how the white interior will handle dirt and cleaning. I use my current pickup for light construction/repair work at my rentals - which means I often hop back in it all dirty and dusty and sometimes even with some semi-dried paint on my clothes. My current interior is black and so dirt smudges don't show too badly. I worry that after a few years my nice white interior will be all dirty & grungy, whereas the Forest Edge wouldn't show the same dirt as badly.
Anyone have experience with very light interiors like this - especially pleather - and how easy it is to clean and keep looking bright and white over the years? Not expecting Teflon-level performance, but hoping that since it's basically plastic, it will clean up well and still look good years into the future. Thank you.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I configured my R1T with the Ocean Coast (white) interior. I really liked the lighter wood trim and the white pleather makes the interior look much larger. It was a tough call because I really like the Forest Edge interior too (the $2K upgrade cost, not so much).
My concern is how the white interior will handle dirt and cleaning. I use my current pickup for light construction/repair work at my rentals - which means I often hop back in it all dirty and dusty and sometimes even with some semi-dried paint on my clothes. My current interior is black and so dirt smudges don't show too badly. I worry that after a few years my nice white interior will be all dirty & grungy, whereas the Forest Edge wouldn't show the same dirt as badly.
Anyone have experience with very light interiors like this - especially pleather - and how easy it is to clean and keep looking bright and white over the years? Not expecting Teflon-level performance, but hoping that since it's basically plastic, it will clean up well and still look good years into the future. Thank you.
A coworker has the white interior in his Tesla (vegan leather as well) and he has no issues keeping it clean. It really does shed the dirt well and is pretty stain resistant. I think the Rivian interior may be more whitish gray than white. Maybe someone who has seen it in the wild has a better opinion of the actual hue.

My coworker does not do construction though and only deals with kids sport activities after a couple of years still looks good.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I've had a Tesla with white interior for nearly 5 years and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up. There's no permanent discoloration on the seats, and dirt wipes off easily. I've used Armor All no shine cleaning wipes before, but a wet rag would probably have worked as well. Ocean Coast is not white but light grey and should hide dirt a little better. Only Tesla has true white seats.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
I didn't know vegans bathed. Don't you use just soap and water on their hides?

(PS - Tesla's seats clean easily, my MX is a 'work truck')

Last edited:

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Watch this video from Chicago Auto Pros for a great product...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

From what the company and others here have said, it sounds like the white pleather is fairly easy to keep clean, and It's nice that it also helps control the interior heat. My biggest concern with white, or any light-colored interior is the amount of reflected light that will be bouncing off the inside of the windows. It just seems like it would induce a lot of glare and reflections on very bright days. For that reason, I have a non-reflective fitted black cover on a few of my dashboards. They sell well for a reason.

OK, back to my cave....

Attachments

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
No, not really. Plant fats work just as well.
Not necessarily for the fats, but the oils. Like coconut oil in many places uses monkeys to get the coconuts. Palm oils are known to damage animals environment due to deforestation. I guess it's not that hard once you know what you are looking for, but my sister in law has told me some stories ?

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I didn't know vegans bathed. Don't you use just soap and water on their hides?

(PS - Tesla's seats clean easily, my MX is a 'work truck')
You just rub hemp on it... I kid I kid ;)

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My hunting buddies are a bunch of redneck F250/F350 dually diesel types. We have an ongoing debate about EV’s, and they are all hardcore “you’ll take my ICE when you pry it from my cold dead hands” attitude. They all got a real kick out of “vegan leather”... :CWL:

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
My hunting buddies are a bunch of redneck F250/F350 dually diesel types. We have an ongoing debate about EV’s, and they are all hardcore “you’ll take my ICE when you pry it from my cold dead hands” attitude. They all got a real kick out of “vegan leather”... :CWL:

Change is difficult for a lot of people...

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I'm VERY progressive and I have to laugh at "vegan leather" too. Marketing run amok!

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I feel much better about my choice now. And I do now see that it IS a light gray instead of white - which is better.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
And here everyone was worried about the light interior showing stains!...

I have Black Mountain interior and someone sat in one of the seats with sunscreen on, and now the sunscreen marks are on the seat. I've done a little digging and from what I can tell, using a mild soap and a soft bristle brush may work. Curious if anyone here has any other thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

And here everyone was worried about the light interior showing stains!...

I have Black Mountain interior and someone sat in one of the seats with sunscreen on, and now the sunscreen marks are on the seat. I've done a little digging and from what I can tell, using a mild soap and a soft bristle brush may work. Curious if anyone here has any other thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.
I know you 'Canes types like your nude beaches, and sunscreen is important for the derriere, but might I suggest putting pants on while driving next time?

Also, turtle towels are GOLD for beach days. My stepmom got us some, I love them!
Sponsored