First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So much for Elon’s “we will focus on uptime” sales pitch for his latest unstable decision. The team that maintained the chargers was already working OT trying to keep up the network. Now there is virtually no one left to do it.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/supercharger-maintenance-workers-network-disrepair

Fired Supercharger Maintenance Workers Say Network Will Fall Into Disrepair
Skeleton crew will have to fix any future problems.
Sharon Adarlo

Network Trouble
When Tesla CEO Elon Musk fired scores of employees in the past few weeks, he also got rid of practically everybody on the Supercharger team, who were working on developing the electric car company's vast network of EV chargers — predictably ticking off Tesla owners.

Now with Musk signaling he's shifting towards AI and robotaxis, recently fired ex-workers who serviced and maintained the chargers are sounding the alarm that the network is likely to decline, InsideEVs reports, because there aren't many service technicians left after Musk took a buzzsaw to the company roster.

"My personal opinion is that quality is going to deteriorate," an ex-worker told InsideEVs. "Customers are going to start seeing issues last longer than what they were used to."

Around the world, Tesla has upwards of 50,000 Supercharger stalls. It's unknown how many charger service technicians Tesla employed before this spate of brutal layoffs, but workers were apparently working around the clock and even skipping time with family, according to InsideEVs. Now imagine a skeleton screw trying to play whac-a-mole on any issues that may pop up in the Tesla Supercharger network.

"We couldn't keep up. And now the network is even larger," the former worker told InsideEVs. "Now, guess what? There are even more consumers. There's gonna be a lot more issues that could possibly come up."

https://futurism.com/the-byte/supercharger-maintenance-workers-network-disrepair

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

It seems clear to me that Elon has entered the Boardroom and pulled the pin on a grenade. He will take out everything and everyone if he does not get his $55 Billion. Tesla Inc. is expendable. The customers are a nuisance. The Supercharger team head dared to push back on letting quality go out the window and was summarily executed in front the entire world.

tesla Inc. is flat-out F——d if they do not get rid of Elon first thing Monday. He is intent on wrecking the company piece by piece until he gets what he wants. It may soon come to a fast decision by Federal authorities to seize his companies- at least Tesla and SpaceX based on national security Issues.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Tesla may have created the NACS standard, but they have clearly donated it to the public. No one is going to be beholden to Musk or Tesla, nor could they be, because Tesla made the NACS standard public domain. If you don't like Superchargers, don't use them! If you like NACS, but not Tesla, build your own NACS fast chargers, you owe zero royalty. Musk wants others to step up to the plate and do their part for the EV fast charging infrastructure. When he slows spending, who will step up to the plate and invest in fast charging infrastructure? Ford? GM? Stellantis? So far, it's all talk and no action.
You need to get your facts straight. Tesla in November of 2022 opened their previously proprietary connector specifications for other manufacturers to adopt. EM hasn't donated anything to the "public." He controls nearly 100% of all NACS infrastructure and he charges non-Teslas more $$ to charge on the SC network (as I predicted).

Meanwhile, Electrify America, formed by VW as a penalty for their emissions scandal has poured billions of dollars of investment in their CCS network (which will include NACS in the future). They are the largest non-Tesla charging network. A coalition of OEMS are building out a competing network to Tesla but that won't be operational for years.

In terms of using a SC, I don't have an adapter yet, so I can't. Even when I do, I have no intention of doing so unless I have to because of the complete sh*t show that EM has turned this into with his reckless and idiotic decision to dissolve the division responsible for the best thing Tesla has going for it: their network.

Being an EM apologist who doesn't even have his facts straight isn't doing you any favors.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
First - just feel like doing the I told you so dance for 1 minute - dance, dance, dance.

Okay, IMHO, the best thing for all concerned is for Tesla to sell the entire global SC network and hardware manufacturing lines to a private equity firm. I know a few who would be interested but I am sure Elon knows them all better than I do. Oh, and I know of a highly experienced CEO and technical team who can run it well and has nothing else to do at the moment. In exchange, Telsa can generate a solid few billions to fund Robotaxi and Optimus.

Millertimr

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
For all saying the network is still growing - things are a mess. An unnamed major auto manufacturer is now talking about backing out of the standard for NACS.

This has the potential to upend all of the progress. For what reason? Give this guy his bonus $!

What a mess. https://electrek.co/2024/05/03/read...sending-to-suppliers-amid-supercharger-chaos/. Those who took his tweet as gospel, he was lying, shocker. They don't even know how to get in contact with their suppliers. All of Australia rollout has been haunted. Jesus.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Time for someone, maybe Rivian, to step in. Elmo is going to self destruct and take everything with him. SpaceX is next. Someone needs to step in there too…aka the US Gov.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I had suspected as much, but this is the first confirmation I’ve seen.

I personally believe the NACS changeover will soon be dead, but it will depend on decisions not yet made.

It’s really a loss for Tesla as much as it is a loss for everyone else.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It’s an overreaction to think TS is dead, just as much as Musk’s actions are over the top. Clearly rate of expansion will slow, including rollout to other OEMs. But there is a bit of silver lining: We got our access already. TS sites may not get as much traffic in the future with delayed inclusion of other OEMs. That’s a plus for all with existing access. And SAE created a NACS standard, specifically so that Tesla doesn’t have total influence. The NACS plug and specification itself is superior and more user-friendly (less unwieldy) to consumers. There is little reason for other OEMs and networks to abandon NACS, indulging the overgrown troll in the process, and give up potential revenue from the largest group of EVs already in service today—Teslas. There will be some reliability/maintenance lapses for sure. But perhaps with less use, there will also be less wear.

Musk acts on emotions/impulses. Other business impacted are driven by business concerns, cost vs. profit. Irrational to speculate what those others might do, by projecting Musk’s or your emotions onto them.

Last edited:

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Dual Max R1T, 12 Prius Prime, '97 Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

It seems clear to me that Elon has entered the Boardroom and pulled the pin on a grenade. He will take out everything and everyone if he does not get his $55 Billion. Tesla Inc. is expendable. The customers are a nuisance. The Supercharger team head dared to push back on letting quality go out the window and was summarily executed in front the entire world.

tesla Inc. is flat-out F——d if they do not get rid of Elon first thing Monday. He is intent on wrecking the company piece by piece until he gets what he wants. It may soon come to a fast decision by Federal authorities to seize his companies- at least Tesla and SpaceX based on national security Issues.
I'm both a Tesla and a Rivian stockholder. Late last week my notice of the Tesla annual meeting arrived. With relish I voted AGAINST every proposal made by the Tesla board except one (appointing PWC as the external auditor) and FOR every proposal made by shareholders and opposed by Tesla except one (having board members terms be for one year only, which simply doesn't make for good governance IMO).

I hope that enough institutional investors do the same and the board gets the message that Musk is endangering the company, so that they somehow develop the courage to either rein him in or replace him.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I'm both a Tesla and a Rivian stockholder. Late last week my notice of the Tesla annual meeting arrived. With relish I voted AGAINST every proposal made by the Tesla board except one (appointing PWC as the external auditor) and FOR every proposal made by shareholders and opposed by Tesla except one (having board members terms be for one year only, which simply doesn't make for good governance IMO).

I hope that enough institutional investors do the same and the board gets the message that Musk is endangering the company, so that they somehow develop the courage to either rein him in or replace him.
Same. But with Tesla, I think the voting was just a formality. The board is too chummy with him and so there is no oversight. Tesla and Musk need oversight. There is no other way to right that ship. It is not just protection for its investors, large through small. It IS protection for their own good.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Last edited: