Sponsored

Driver +.. Deal Breaker ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You made a statement that IR won't pass through glass (not sunglasses, just glass). SWIR can. MWIR and LWIR won't pass through any glasses, let alone sunglasses, and LWIR probably wouldn't have meaningful contrast anyway.

But a SWIR camera is capable of picking up eyes through glasses.
I'll eat my words here. I have practical experience with thermal & some night vision IR.

I realized that I knew IR for remote controls will penetrate glass, and that must be SWIR like @MReda is referring to.

Sorry for being an *ss @CommodoreAmiga !
Sponsored

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
You made a statement that IR won't pass through glass (not sunglasses, just glass). SWIR can. MWIR and LWIR won't pass through any glasses, let alone sunglasses, and LWIR probably wouldn't have meaningful contrast anyway.

But a SWIR camera is capable of picking up eyes through glasses.
Bedtime reading

Rivian R1T R1S Driver +.. Deal Breaker ? B295CD10-5886-4465-B40A-8F9D06F8C03C

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Confirmation bias got the best of me...

At least I learned something today.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

Physics beats confirmation bias every time.

Prior to working at an IR camera manufacturer, I worked for a company that played in the driver aid side of commercial trucking. Our focus was fuel economy improvements by way of shifting aids, but driver-facing cameras were showing up at some of the fleets we talked to. This is making me wonder if this problem has been solved, or whether those systems are just more interested in the broad strokes (was the driver looking at their phone when they Tboned that school bus). If I find the motivation tomorrow, maybe I'll reach out to some old contacts.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

There is documentation that the IR system in the Cadillac Super Cruise did (not sure how or if it is sorted out) have issues with the sun as well as polarized sunglasses with their infrared camera.

2019 Article

Sponsored

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'85 Monte Carlo SS, '20 I-Pace, '15 F-150,
Clubs

I haven't found this in another thread wanted to start here before creating a new one: Is there information on the seatbelt reminder (nanny) operation? I recently rode in a Subaru that needed second and third row passengers to buckle up or be loudly reminded. I don't want my vehicle requiring things that state law does not. #possibledealbreaker

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I haven't found this in another thread wanted to start here before creating a new one: Is there information on the seatbelt reminder (nanny) operation? I recently rode in a Subaru that needed second and third row passengers to buckle up or be loudly reminded. I don't want my vehicle requiring things that state law does not. #possibledealbreaker
Your profile says you're in Minnesota. Is that accurate?

Minnesota state law requires all passengers in ALL seating positions to be buckled up and in correct child restraints.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/laws/Pages/seat-belts.aspx

Or are you referring to some other state?

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am in Minnesota and agree that this state does require all passengers to use seat belts (similar to Wisconsin where I travel extensively). My question revolves mostly around the role of the vehicle to enforce that law (or if I'm in a state like North Dakota or Montana that do not have that requirement).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I am in Minnesota and agree that this state does require all passengers to use seat belts (similar to Wisconsin where I travel extensively). My question revolves mostly around the role of the vehicle to enforce that law (or if I'm in a state like North Dakota or Montana that do not have that requirement).
Why would you not wear a seat belt even if the law does not require it?

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
that is for another thread.
Short answer is such a small percentage of customers would share your desire to not wear a seat belt that the ability to override warnings are unlikely to be implemented by Rivian.

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Agreed. I have asked customer service about the nature of the rear seat system (and the overall system to tone and style) and will share any information here.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Agreed. I have asked customer service about the nature of the rear seat system (and the overall system to tone and style) and will share any information here.
Please ask if they can provide pictures of the system as installed in a launch green vehicle.

I think all inquiries anyone sends going forward to CS, regardless of the subject, should include request for pictures of that on a launch green vehicle.
Example:
Could you confirm if the Rivian can be flat towed behind an RV by providing pictures of a Launch Green vehicle being towed? If that won’t be a capability, can you please provide pictures of a Launch Green vehicle unhitched to demonstrate its inability to be flat towed? Thanks

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I have full self driving on my Tesla M3P. It works fairly well. At times the keep the hands on the wheel prompt is annoying. Yet for the most part I can take my hands and feet off of the controls and the car does the work. Great for getting on LA Freeways and traffic. I've yet to take a nap while driving. I think that feature is another 10K from Elon
Sponsored