Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I'm assuming most Rivian dog owners are getting the R1S instead of the R1T?
Absolutely not! Our medium sized pointer (60 lbs) generally rides in a crate in the back seat area. Without fold down seats, I’m hoping the doors open wide enough to get his crate onto the seat and belt it in.
Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Dog owner coming from a GX470 - have carried medium dogs (Chow-chow, Samoyed) in the back. Our most recent dog will likely no longer be with us by fall when I expect to receive a R1T, and I'm not sure which direction we'll jump. Perfect for me would be a canopy/topper for the bed - so...we'll have to see how it plays out

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Oh - and I forgot - when I got that survey in November 2019...I pretty much "dogged" it up. Said that it was only for my dogs :)

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Yep, I'm currently in the R1T queue as well. (Maybe when I finally get to see both of them, side by side, I'll be a bit more solid in that commitment.) 99% of the time it'll just be me, my wife, and the two dogs, so I think the utility of the truck is greater than the SUV. If we had kids or frequently hauled other adults, might think differently.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Bumping this thread to the top to see if any new news has trickled out about dog things or just to see if anyone has other thoughts on Rivians x Dogs.

When I originally posted, I had one medium dog and one small puppy. Puppy is now close to 50 lbs at 7 months old and still growing.

I'm still leaning toward the R1T but I am a little worried about the occasional time when we need to haul 2 dogs plus more than two humans.

On any moderate day we could put dogs in crates in the back, but we see both +100-degree days and sub-freezing days in/around the mountains, which would rule that approach out. Maybe with a camper top or something like that.

Kind of a tricky problem to consider when (a) you don't know how big your truck is going to be and (b) you don't know how big your dog is going to be... :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
These have little to do with Rivian and aren't nearly as cool as integrated dog showers, but these are on my shortlist of must-have dog travel items:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
For back seat solutions, the kurgo hammocks are really nice. I prefer a hammock over something like the foam seat extender because you can still use the footwell for storage. Backpack, hiking boots, water bottles, cooler, snacks/picnic supplies, rain coat, towels, extra layers, etc. fit perfectly under the hammock in my Q5 and they're pretty easy to get to.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I guess I need to start paying attention to this thread. I’ll be bringing this guy home in 2 weeks!

Rivian R1T R1S Dog accessories / features? A912D12E-BCC2-482E-B0C4-295CF2E56B8B

By the time I get my truck, he’ll likely be about the same size as his daddy, who is 110 lbs of pure handsomeness…

Rivian R1T R1S Dog accessories / features? 4F6602B3-D57E-4AD8-B682-F04B36FF5B8A

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I guess I need to start paying attention to this thread. I’ll be bringing this guy home in 2 weeks!

A912D12E-BCC2-482E-B0C4-295CF2E56B8B.jpeg

By the time I get my truck, he’ll likely be about the same size as his daddy, who is 110 lbs of pure handsomeness…

4F6602B3-D57E-4AD8-B682-F04B36FF5B8A.jpeg
Nice, perhaps I'm naïve; but I've asked about pet-mode, a couple different times, to a couple different CS agents during chats and I really get the sense they understand its a sought after feature that's important to the people that want it Based on their responses, I'd be exceptionally surprised to see pet and sentry mode analogues not included when they release.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Nice, perhaps I'm naïve; but I've asked about pet-mode, a couple different times, to a couple different CS agents during chats and I really get the sense they understand its a sought after feature that's important to the people that want it Based on their responses, I'd be exceptionally surprised to see pet and sentry mode analogues not included when they release.
They might call it “camp mode” and CS has no clue it’s really the same thing. Given all the hype about being able to sleep in the back of the R1S, I’ll be surprised (and disappointed) if it doesn’t have the ability to keep the interior cabin conditioned when the vehicle is otherwise disabled.
Sponsored