Sponsored

Does this Rivian patent demonstrate Max Pack module positioning?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I hope so. I love that underseat storage. Use it constantly for odds & ends.
Losing the underseat storage and then having a heavy lumbering vehicle really are two major downside when considering the Maxpack.

Sounds fickle but if I lost the under seat storage I don't think I'd get the max pack, now owning the vehicle and heavily relying on the underseat storage.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
You might not need as many modules if the architecture changes to 800v. Might not be 180kwh if it still gets close to 400 miles.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ah. I had quickly counted 8 in one of the Monroe videos. Must have missed one.
Yeah, 9th is still hidden under some material they didn't remove yet.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Losing the underseat storage and then having a heavy lumbering vehicle
To each his own on the storage, but 'heavy lumbering' is something this truck will not be. Even in its max pack config. It's already ~7200lbs. Whats another 300-400lbs when there's 835hp and 900+ft-lbs torque?

As for the under seat storage, for me, it's a nice addition. But the gear tunnel and the mini bins on the GT doors along with the frunk are what I need day to day. I've even stuck a few things in with the spare (compressor, charge cable, etc) to keep all the primary spaces available. I don't need the max pack, but if I did, this loss seems rather immaterial.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I've been sold a max pack vehicle with second row under seat storage. While "specifications may change" that a pretty big feature to have disappear and not mention it in sales literature.

Hopefully a new pack design can fit the increased capacity needed. Nine modules is not compatible with a split 400/800V architecture.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've been sold a max pack vehicle with second row under seat storage. While "specifications may change" that a pretty big feature to have disappear and not mention it in sales literature.

Hopefully a new pack design can fit the increased capacity needed. Nine modules is not compatible with a split 400/800V architecture.
There's 1 cuft less cargo in the max pack according to the original sales stuff.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I see a trend of large pack owners buying standard pack R1s to not carry the extra lumbering weight :)

I look at the portable batteries people are buying and think 40kWh for $10K is a pretty good deal for my uses. But I certainly would not buy the max pack upgrade without a specific reason.

What would be worthwhile and purchased by most owners is a higher power inverter. Max pack aside, the large pack is very large but hobbled for home backup by capacity. V2H is complicated. But a 30 amp 240V inverter approaches trivial. I'm sure that the majority of large inverter purchased by Lightning buyers are not running manly high wattage tools on construction sites.

In the real world a simple 30amp home generator connection provides 90% of the functionality of a V2H wall connector.

Buying this stuff is very expensive:
https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ep500pro-home-battery-backup?variant=42945985183963

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I see a trend of large pack owners buying standard pack R1s to not carry the extra lumbering weight :)

I look at the portable batteries people are buying and think 40kWh for $10K is a pretty good deal for my uses. But I certainly would not buy the max pack upgrade without a specific reason.

What would be worthwhile and purchased by most owners is a higher power inverter. Max pack aside, the large pack is very large but hobbled for home backup by capacity. V2H is complicated. But a 30 amp 240V inverter approaches trivial. I'm sure that the majority of large inverter purchased by Lightning buyers are not running manly high wattage tools on construction sites.

In the real world a simple 30amp home generator connection provides 90% of the functionality of a V2H wall connector.

Buying this stuff is very expensive:
https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ep500pro-home-battery-backup?variant=42945985183963
I have no proof of it but I think the standard pack will end up similar in weight because of the change of chemistry. Rivian will still probably use the same amount of cells and modules, but the LFP cells just don't have the same kind of energy density. It would reduce the packaging complexity a lot being able to just use everything else identical.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just noticed there was a new patent published that explicitly shows this now. I'm sure if Rivian decided not to go with the 12 module pack that we'll end up seeing another patent that excludes the 12th module on the top. Original filing date on this was from 2019.
Rivian R1T R1S Does this Rivian patent demonstrate Max Pack module positioning? 1680017466345

Rivian R1T R1S Does this Rivian patent demonstrate Max Pack module positioning? 1680017477032

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I would assume they would try to not use that 12th module on the R1T if at all possible. The truck floor could be the same with either battery that way, and obviously they wouldn't need as many cells per vehicle helping their margin and battery constraints. I'm going to guess they go with 11 (rough non-scientific calculation, 328/9*11=401).

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
11 modules and cells with a bit more energy density would do it. High range R1S suggests energy density increase, perhaps at the pack and not cell level
Sponsored