Sponsored

Does Lucid Gravity solve many of Rivian R1S issues for families?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is clearly a troll and/or a Gr****y spambot. Let's block this user. First one on this forum for me.
Sponsored

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

Specs for 80K variant of Gravity have not been announced. Even if your speculations based on Lucid Air are correct, base Gravity will most definitely have better range than base Rivian ($78K) and charging speed will be much better as well. At the same time, Rivian is taking away a lot of stuff including original speaker system to reduce the cost of the vehicle. The way prices of EVs are going down due to Tesla competition, I dont see a 50-100% difference of price in this class unless you compare a base rivian R1S with a Dream edition or Gravity Sapphire. Like mentioned above, base prices of the two are pretty close $80K vs. $78K.
It'll have better range, sure - not 440 miles though. The Lucid Air Pure RWD loses about 25% from the max range in the lineup. So if the Gravity does the same, that's ~330 miles, where as a Rivian R1S dual motor with large battery pack at almost the exact same price gets 352 miles. If you wanted something closer to the higher end, someone could always option the max battery pack in the R1S for 400 miles of range.

You're right that the Lucid will charge faster on a capable charger. I charge 99% of the time at home, and have no problem charging the Rivian R1S at 200khw so it hasn't been an issue. Meanwhile the Rivian even in base form has an adaptive air suspension that can raise and lower up to 16 inches, and wade through 42 inches of water. You won't see the Lucid Gravity minivan do that any time soon. So yeah, pros and cons to each vehicle.

OP
OP

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
Do you actually own an R1S ? Do you have experience with both vehicles? This sounds like a marketing piece for Lucid. Do members have to expose who they work for here or are they receiving compensation in any way for a company?
So if I like some features of Gravity, I must be working for Lucid? How much you were paid for this post by Rivian?

OP
OP

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
It'll have better range, sure - not 440 miles though. The Lucid Air Pure RWD loses about 25% from the max range in the lineup. So if the Gravity does the same, that's ~330 miles, where as a Rivian R1S dual motor with large battery pack at almost the exact same price gets 352 miles. If you wanted something closer to the higher end, someone could always option the max battery pack in the R1S for 400 miles of range.

You're right that the Lucid will charge faster on a capable charger. I charge 99% of the time at home, and have no problem charging the Rivian R1S at 200khw so it hasn't been an issue. Meanwhile the Rivian even in base form has an adaptive air suspension that can raise and lower up to 16 inches, and wade through 42 inches of water. You won't see the Lucid Gravity minivan do that any time soon. So yeah, pros and cons to each vehicle.
42 inches of water? how may people need this or even try this? Base Rivian at $78K will come with 260 miles of range not 352. For large pack, I guess you have to pay another $6K

Sponsored

RNFinCA

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Retired
Rivian’s strategy and performance over the past two years positions the company to be the only new EV manufacturer that has an excellent chance of making it. Lucid has great technology but a very dumb strategy. The two most popular vehicles in the US by miles are the pick up truck and the SUV. Rivian’s aim is outstanding. Virtually all US manufactures have stopped making sedans unless they are clearly sports cars. Lucid’s lead product is a four-door sedan trying to out Tesla Tesla’s Model S?? Even Tesla sells very few Model S’s these days. Really dumb. If you buy the gravity, the chances you will have a company to support it over its lifetime is near zero.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

There’s also the whole Saudi Public Investment thing….

4mk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So if I like some features of Gravity, I must be working for Lucid? How much you were paid for this post by Rivian?
I actually own an R1S, so I know in detail about the vehicle and can make actual comments based on extensive experience. We also own 2 Tesla's we like very much. No, I don't work for or affiliated in any way with any vehicle company. As numerous post here have stated, you canned comments sound like an ad. Are you in any way affiliated or promoting Lucid? If not , I would live to hear your comments about the Gravity once you purchase it. Or any comments about the electric vehicles you own. Knowledge is important for all when making such a large purchase.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Does Tesla have an agreement with Lucid to open their superchargers to Lucid? My understanding is one of the main guys behind Lucid is a former Tesla engineer, I would not be surprised if Tesla's CEO has a grudge because of that and holds that against Lucid.
The idea that Tesla wouldn't offer Lucid the same NACS deal that all other EV manufacturers received shows just how effective the anti-Tesla, anti-Musk attacks have been at making people irrational.

Of course Lucid could join NACS, Musk is not going to withhold charging benefits to an EV manufacturer due to a personal grudge, it's not how he rolls. Rawlings is the one who is most butt-hurt here. And his company is in dire straights, not due to Elon witholding Supercharger access from Lucid, but due to the way Rawlings runs the company on dreams and hype.

After Tesla made the announcement to open Superchargers to other brands, Rawlings didn't waste much time poo-pooing the Supercharging Network, and NACS in general, by pretending they had superior technology compared to Tesla and that NACS wasn't designed for 1000V charging (when in fact, it's right there in the standard as clear as day). The Tesla Cybertruck is compatible with the same high-voltage charging platform that the Tesla Semi uses, and the latest superchargers are 1000V compatible.

Of course, Rawlings has now had to eat crow and admit that, yes, they want to ride on Elon's coat tails too. That was probably a hard pill for a stubborn man like Rawlings to swallow, but he's stubborn, not stupid. Other manufacturers don't want to pour billions of dollars into charging infrastructure, they want Tesla to make all the investments so they can sell their EV's at a loss while Tesla is able to undercut them at a profit. Rivian is the only one that appears to take charging infrastructure semi-seriously but now that NACS is open, it appears they will slow down investments into vehicle fast charging.

As to the main topic at hand, yes, it looks like Lucid is so desperate to create excitement for their non-existent SUV that they are not above guerilla advertising right on forums for Rivian owners. It really does look like an AI generated post. In the future, this kind of thing won't be so obvious.

Sponsored

mike2191

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Hey Rivian community!

I've been watching some Lucid Gravity YouTube videos lately. I have a Rivian order pending and have test-driven both R1T and R1S. I am sharing my thoughts on the Lucid Gravity, specifically from the perspective of daily commuting and family hauling. Both vehicles are impressive but cater to slightly different preferences and priorities. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis.

1. Charging and Range:
The Lucid Gravity has caught my attention regarding charging capabilities and range. Its advanced charging technology and impressive range offer a more practical and convenient solution for daily commuting and road-tripping. The maximum 440-mile range of Gravity with a much smaller battery is incredible, and fast charging of 200 miles in 15 minutes with 900V architecture is game-changing for a 3-row SUV. I understand that the charging network could be better for non-Teslas, but that is changing soon.

2. Third-Row Space:
The third-row space is crucial if you're looking for a family hauler. The R1S offers a third row, but from what I've gathered from my limited time with Rivians and various videos of Gravity, the Lucid Gravity seems to provide more comfortable and spacious seating in the back. This extra room could significantly improve those long family road trips.

3. Potential CarPlay Integration:
As a daily commuter, seamless integration with technology is essential. Lucid Air has Apple CarPlay integration, so I expect potential CarPlay integration in Gravity's infotainment, making it a tech-savvy choice for those who rely on their iPhones all the time for their digital lives.

4. Seat Comfort:
Comfort is paramount for a 3-row SUV and Lucid Gravity seems to excel in this department. Reports suggest that the seats in the Gravity are not only luxurious but also designed with long-term comfort in mind. Gravity seats seem better than the R1S seats, which are just ok in providing comfort.

5. Better Interior Space Utilization
Bigger dimensions of R1S do not translate into a roomier interior for some reason (maybe a long hood). It seems Lucid was able to design a better interior with more space.

In summary, while the Rivian R1S is undoubtedly geared towards adventure and off-road enthusiasts, the Lucid Gravity appears to be a more well-rounded option for those prioritizing daily commuting and family comfort. The better charging speed, extended range, spacious third-row, potential CarPlay integration, and superior seat comfort make the Gravity a strong contender in the electric SUV market, especially for those who see their vehicle as both a daily driver and a family hauler.

What are your thoughts on this comparison? I'd love to hear the community's insights and experiences with both models!
It’s not an SUV. It’s a full time AWD mini Van. Plus I will not buy a car that will possible go Bankrup.

LeftMySoulinNM

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Many people have multiple EVs and one home charger and charging every night is either not possible or not practical.

I understand you guys love rivian and just do not like the post but please provide some more meaningful reply.
Just built a house. We have 3 EV chargers in our garage.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It’s not an SUV. It’s a full time AWD mini Van. Plus I will not buy a car that will possible go Bankrup.
If you actually have seen one, albeit at an auto show for now, this statement makes no sense.

As for not buying a vehicle from a maker that can go bankrupt, well, who says Rivian won't? Also have you ever owned a vehicle from GM or Chrysler? They have gone bankrupt and in the case of Chrysler, sold itself to Daimler, then dumped to Stallantis for fraction of what they paid for.

I am not a Lucid fan, pe sa, but the OP's comment about being more of a family hauler makes sense. Just compare to EQS-SUV.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
… NACS in general, by pretending they had superior technology compared to Tesla and that NACS wasn't designed for 1000V charging (when in fact, it's right there in the standard as clear as day). The Tesla Cybertruck is compatible with the same high-voltage charging platform that the Tesla Semi uses, and the latest superchargers are 1000V compatible.
I have heard the CT is compatible as well but think that is an unsubstantiated rumor. The Tesla Semi has a massive connector and does not use the NACS connector.

Rivian R1T R1S Does Lucid Gravity solve many of Rivian R1S issues for families? IMG_3486

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
It's way too soon to compare the two without some real-world data. Who knows, living with a Gravity every day might reveal some annoyances that can turn out to be very important. Maybe the 3rd row is comfortable, but you bump your knee everytime you get in it.
Sponsored