Sponsored

DIY Tonneau Repairs? Anyone try to do this yet?

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
any signs of an optical encoder or two? Perhaps they’re counting slats
Didn't notice anything like that, but didn't look for it either.

endokendo

First Name
Endo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical
Well...we did it!! Spent the whole afternoon doing exploratory surgery on the R1T Tonneau fiasco. After 3 service requests, and not hearing back at all, we were desperate. Ended up doing a partial tonneau-lectomy. Not for the faint-of-heart, but not the most difficult procedure either. You need a few of the right tools, though. Ended up taking off all the plastic bed edge-caps and the cover over the tonneau box below the rear window. Had to pull out the tonneau rails to get 3 of the panels un-jammed and removed. Then, when things were loosened up, the tonneau motor was able to pull the cockeyed panel down into the stack in the box.
We'll just leave the bed open and didn't want to try to actually fix it, only to have it lock up again. Not the perfect solution, but at least now we can use the entire open bed.

Now, we wait for the re-designed replacement when Rivian can get around to it--I'm thinking that will be a long wait. 😬

Here's what the tonneau gears look like in two corners underneath the panels.

1655530335299.png
glad that you were able to remedy your situation

it would be great if Rivian would allow Launch Edition R1T’s to be delivered minus the powered tonneau, and to allow us to have the manual tonneau or no tonneau instead.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

it would be great if Rivian would allow Launch Edition R1T’s to be delivered minus the powered tonneau, and to allow us to have the manual tonneau or no tonneau instead.
If you want no tonneau, just leave it open?

Sponsored

endokendo

First Name
Endo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I am waiting for a RV tech to chime in here and discuss all the ways that RV slide outs fail in similar circumstances. One motor or two, it doesn’t seem to matter. There are so many posts on the RV forums about slide outs getting stuck, motors getting out of sync, motors failing, gears/racks missing teeth, etc. Yes, the R1T tonneau and a slide out are totally different beasts, but the failure patterns feel familiar.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

By the time we start getting deliveries in canada, they’ll have this thing dialed

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Here's a few photos of the undersides of the tonneau panels to help you understand more about how these work. The edge-teeth on the panels are metal with a plastic coating, so seem fairly substantial.
I'm not sure why there are exposed areas of metal on the edges (last photo). I didn't scratch the coating off...they were that way when we pulled them out of the railings. Either they chipped off during use or were that way when installed.
And, I should mention, I didn't notice any chipping of the plastic coating on the panel teeth shown in these photos. Didn't get a chance to inspect all the panels in the set that remained in the box stack, however.

PanelUndersideGrouping1.jpg
@Lil'O Annie,

Thanks for the pics of the underside of those last three panels. Given that the tonneau cover appears to have stuck on the fourth-to-the-last panel (the next panel) in the chain, it'll be interesting to see if the teeth on that panel all look as good as they do on these three. It may also have been an earlier panel that got off track, ultimately jamming everything. Either way, it's a bummer.

Thanks again for having documented this problem so very well, and also what you've learned from it to this point.

Good luck with getting it back up and running!

🦆 🛻

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
@Lil'O Annie --- just curious of you've applied that dry lube others have been talking about on here to help the cover slide a little better? I live in a dusty place as well and I've got the can of dry lube on hand but haven't applied it yet. I'm really curious as to how much dust it actually holds on to (even though it says it doesn't attract dust).

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
@Lil'O Annie --- just curious of you've applied that dry lube others have been talking about on here to help the cover slide a little better? I live in a dusty place as well and I've got the can of dry lube on hand but haven't applied it yet. I'm really curious as to how much dust it actually holds on to (even though it says it doesn't attract dust).
It's probably worth a try. Some people think it helps. For us, the dust is unavoidable and I don't think dry lube would have saved us from what happened. We started seeing problems the first week before much dust had a chance to accumulate. I heard very loud pops occasionally in our top as it retracted. When we were picking it up and tested it with the delivery person there, it made a loud pop and we asked, "What was that!?!" Then asked how we go about cleaning down inside the panel-carrier box. He said Service has to do it because you have to take so many pieces off to get into the box, which we now know is VERY true.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I'm surprised that the slates don't go in at an angle to allow dirt/debris to fall off.

I did use some bicycle dry lube on mine and noticed a significant reduction in "grinding" noise, also used a ceramic was on the slates to help keep them clean, protected, and slippery.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
any signs of an optical encoder or two? Perhaps they’re counting slats
That was my thought too.

After seeing the additional photos showing the rack on the bottom of the panels, this is unfortunately a pretty big fail on Rivian's part. I can't understand why the designers thought this would hold up to normal stresses caused by the owner (i.e. pinching because something is in the way) and the environmental extremes a vehicle is exposed to.

I agree that a guide/skid made of UHMW or similar would help with tolerance and friction issues. But that rack surface looks like the plastic coating will wear quickly, introduce new slop, and then also have unlubricated aluminum gear on aluminum rack wear. As I said in another post, an elegant design but not robust.

Edit: Taking a closer look at the photos, what the heck is up with this? Looks like the rack is an end sub-assembly, pressed in the end of the slat, and secured with only a punch? This one is clearly already pulling out..... Jeez....

Rivian R1T R1S DIY Tonneau Repairs? Anyone try to do this yet? 1655908312315

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised that the slates don't go in at an angle to allow dirt/debris to fall off.

I did use some bicycle dry lube on mine and noticed a significant reduction in "grinding" noise, also used a ceramic was on the slates to help keep them clean, protected, and slippery.
Dry lube is the only solution. To anyone having problems, at the risk of stating the obvious - don't even think about using a petroleum (WD40, PBBlaster, etc.) or silicon semi-liquid (Fuchs Silkolene motorcycle chain lube) lubricant. It will become a gummy, sticky, dirt attracting mess.
Sponsored