First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Marketing
I'm planning something similar, with butcher block counter tops and maybe just placing the stove top on the counter instead of it being fixed in place. Having lived in vans/tiny homes the extra space to prep can make all the difference.

I'm curious what parts you'll be sourcing for the various elements of the kitchen, such asthe kickstand.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm planning something similar, with butcher block counter tops and maybe just placing the stove top on the counter instead of it being fixed in place. Having lived in vans/tiny homes the extra space to prep can make all the difference.

I'm curious what parts you'll be sourcing for the various elements of the kitchen, such asthe kickstand.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build!
I'm hoping to forgo the kickstand by adding support rollers that rest on the gear tunnel door. It's there, it's in the way, may as well use it.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Slides came. Definitely can't put longer than 60" slides in here, they are just about perfect. Haven't done anything about designing the mounts for them yet but will work on that soon. Most likely going to do it in sheet metal and have the bending quoted since I don't have access to a press bigger than 48". Maybe aluminum to keep the weight down.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY Camp Kitchen (In Progress) PXL_20220525_215554417

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I did one for a fridge in my wrangler out of aluminum angle and drilled bolted it all together. Been going strong for 2 years and 50k in my Jeep. I doubt the picture will help, but there it is anyway.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY Camp Kitchen (In Progress) 305DCD1A-0B24-4336-8354-8F3A45851840
Rivian R1T R1S DIY Camp Kitchen (In Progress) D24514D8-57BB-4CB6-9CF3-ECCF4A06F5E3

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My neighbor owns this company, https://pullkitchen.com/

He used to build them in his garage/driveway but now has a warehouse to build them in. Could probably get some good ideas from there pics.
I think I've seen these before, or at least something like them. I'm still in the early stages of design, but these look like they have a lot of wasted space. With the gear tunnel all being angled space, it'll be critical to have a design to make use of it all.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

My neighbor owns this company, https://pullkitchen.com/

He used to build them in his garage/driveway but now has a warehouse to build them in. Could probably get some good ideas from there pics.
That's crazy everyone complained about how much the kitchen cost when it was $5000 this costs that much but doesn't come with all the high priced snow peak kitchen ware.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's crazy everyone complained about how much the kitchen cost when it was $5000 this costs that much but doesn't come with all the high priced snow peak kitchen ware.
I expect a lot of the complaints were from people who never tried to price this stuff out. It's all expensive because it's all somewhat boutique.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
What are you thinking in terms of sink vs. cooktop location? The biggest miss I see on the Rivian solution is where the sink is, the fact that it blocks the rear passenger door. May not be a real problem in use, but just a risk to paint damage, especially if you have kids. Flipping that module, or putting the sink opposite the cooktop, seems viable. I know that the rear side is curved vs. flat, but still would be something that could be worked out.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What are you thinking in terms of sink vs. cooktop location? The biggest miss I see on the Rivian solution is where the sink is, the fact that it blocks the rear passenger door. May not be a real problem in use, but just a risk to paint damage, especially if you have kids. Flipping that module, or putting the sink opposite the cooktop, seems viable. I know that the rear side is curved vs. flat, but still would be something that could be worked out.
I'm going to try to mount on the opposite side to flip up, but I haven't measured to see if there is actually enough room there yet. I have no qualms about removing the plastic pieces to make more room if I need to, even up to the point of changing the gear tunnel door.

Sponsored

TurboTwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra
I thought he was crazy when he was starting the company and told me how much they would sell for. When he opened up orders, he was selling everything they were making. The overland stuff is so popular here(CA) and people pay STUPID money for all the stuff. Between material costs, labor costs(in CA no less), over head and making some profit, $5k isn’t crazy anymore.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought he was crazy when he was starting the company and told me how much they would sell for. When he opened up orders, he was selling everything they were making. The overland stuff is so popular here(CA) and people pay STUPID money for all the stuff. Between material costs, labor costs(in CA no less), over head and making some profit, $5k isn’t crazy anymore.
I have no plans to build these for other people, but I might be willing to provide measurements and drawings once I have it completed.

TurboTwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra
I'm going to try to mount on the opposite side to flip up, but I haven't measured to see if there is actually enough room there yet. I have no qualms about removing the plastic pieces to make more room if I need to, even up to the point of changing the gear tunnel door.
Working in the “kitchen” on the bed side of the truck makes so much more sense to me than the door side. All your other camping stuff will be near the bed side and that’s where people will be hanging out. After playing with the Rivian Camp Kitchen during a first drive event, I was not impressed. And per the employee, you have to completely take down and push in the kitchen to access the water tank to refill it.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

That's an excellent idea. Remove the door from the hinge and just have the whole thing slide out

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's an excellent idea. Remove the door from the hinge and just have the whole thing slide out
The plastic on the gear tunnel sticks up a bit over a half inch higher than the interior plastic. I don't want to take the whole door off the hinge, just change how they are doing the plastic in it. I still like being able to use it as a step.
Sponsored