First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Can anyone tell me what the temperature on the display is actually measuring? It says 106 deg. Fahrenheit. App now say “cabin is 104”. So, I presume is a cabin reading rather than a flawed outside temperature. Though, it would be nice to have a reading of the outside temperature display with the cabin temperature….
Rivian R1T R1S Display temperature source? AF18F978-4AA1-499C-BA3D-AC8DC384E664
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's outdoor temp. Not very accurate if the vehicle has been stationary for a while

OP
OP
Michaewh

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
They’d be better off pulling the outside temp from a local weather source…

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
200 Series Land Cruiser, R1T Adventure FG (Sold)
Not really possible if you're out in the woods with no way to get that service. I'd rather have this sensor. Once your start driving it'll cool down to get a more accurate reading, nearly every car that displays outdoor temp is like this.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My house is often 3 or 4 degrees different than the local weather sources for my area, not sure how much better that would be unless you live right next door to the weather source.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

That thing is totally worthless. I’m up in the mountains where it is clearly in the 70s and it’s showing 100. It’s never been right. My other vehicle gets it right in about 2 or 3 minutes and that vehicle is a Jeep. A JEEP can tell better temp than the R1T..

It’s the little things that annoy me. It’s better for the survival of humanity.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’ve never had an outside temp in a car be correct unless it’s not in the sun.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

The sensor for the OAT is located on the underside of the driver's side rearview mirror. I only know because my wrap guy left it unplugged (accidentally) and the reading was -40 when it was over 100 outside.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I was thinking the exact same thing (is that really the outdoor temperature?) today as I drove home,

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
How about when the app on your phone says the cabin is hot and the second you start the a/c the temp reading drops about 25 degrees. Where TF are those readings coming from and how does it cool down so amazingly fast???

Sponsored

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

I noticed this when taking delivery. Pretty annoying that this isn't accurate. Not even within 5 degrees of the outside temperature. Doesn't matter if you are stationary or not, it's not accurate.

A $30,000 car has an accurate temperature reading-kind of disappointed the R1T doesn't.

Funny enough, I noticed the temperature wasn't close to accurate and asked about it when taking delivery. The Rivian employee googled the issue and found this exact thread on this forum and said something like "yeah that appears to be an issue. Hopefully it's something they can fix with a software update".

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I noticed this when taking delivery. Pretty annoying that this isn't accurate. Not even within 5 degrees of the outside temperature. Doesn't matter if you are stationary or not, it's not accurate.

A $30,000 car has an accurate temperature reading-kind of disappointed the R1T doesn't.

Funny enough, I noticed the temperature wasn't close to accurate and asked about it when taking delivery. The Rivian employee googled the issue and found this exact thread on this forum and said something like "yeah that appears to be an issue. Hopefully it's something they can fix with a software update".
I do not know any car that is accurate until you drive around for awhile.

My Tesla and Jeep take 10 or 15 minutes to get a good number. All of the other cars and trucks I had were similar. At night it usually does not take as long but on a sunny day it does.

It also depends on what you are comparing it to. If you look at public temp sites then it depends on where that reading is taken. The thermometer at my house is pretty accurate but is usually a few degrees off from news stations and weather sites for my city.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

How about when the app on your phone says the cabin is hot and the second you start the a/c the temp reading drops about 25 degrees. Where TF are those readings coming from and how does it cool down so amazingly fast???
Came back to an old post trying to figure this out. Preheated my cabin this morning before a long drive. Warmed up in about 10 minutes. Turned it off, glanced back seemingly seconds later and it had gone from 72 back to 54...52...50 as I watched.
Seems like they put the cabin sensor in the vents themselves :clap:

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

The sensor for the OAT is located on the underside of the driver's side rearview mirror. I only know because my wrap guy left it unplugged (accidentally) and the reading was -40 when it was over 100 outside.
I think I have same issue. How was it reconnected?

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I think I have same issue. How was it reconnected?
The interior door panel was removed and the plug reinserted into the appropriate receptacle.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored