Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Dig mode looks to be a way to make turn radius smaller....mentions tank turn in the patent verbiage.

Abstract: "Systems and methods are provided herein for operating a vehicle in a front dig mode. The front dig mode is engaged in response to determining that speed of the vehicle is below a speed threshold and determining that the amount that at least one of the front wheels of the vehicle is turned exceeds a turn threshold. While operating in the front dig mode, forward torque is provided to the front wheels of the vehicle. Further, resistance is applied to forward rotation of the inner back wheel of the vehicle. Yet further, forward torque is provided to the outer back wheel of the vehicle. "​

https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=9&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=rivian&OS=rivian&RS=rivian

Rivian R1T R1S " Dig Mode " in the works for inducing smaller turning radius on Rivians (patent) Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.23.52 PM
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So I don't get what they are trying to do. Are they putting opposite spin on the back and front wheels for a zero turn sort of thing?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So I don't get what they are trying to do. Are they putting opposite spin on the back and front wheels for a zero turn sort of thing?
Pretty much. Similar to how toyota and the new bronco use ABS pump to lock inner rear wheel for tighter turns off road, but applying torque in the direction opposite travel with individual motor instead.

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds nice, but this will go the way of Tank-Turn...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I don’t think so. This is more like the turn assist that the Bronco has, but the inside wheel turns backwards instead of braking.

I’d like to have tank turn, but this could still be very useful on mountain switchbacks.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Is this a more truck friendly, consumer friendly version of Tank Turn they are actually willing to release to us?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I like tank turn better. I want a button you press then gear guard gary hopes into a small tank on the screen.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I wonder if this could work on pavement where tank turn does not?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
This is much more likely to get released because they are not trying to pivot in-place, where any small external input, such as sideswiping a rock, could cause the truck to literally spin out of control. By having the turn radius be some amount greater than zero there is opportunity for the vehicle to sense that the direction of travel is drifting and to correct. Being able to slide one end of the vehicle around faster than the other while at slow speed would be really handy on tight switchbacks.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Until there is a response, Imma keep asking.

When we getting a snow mode?

After mall crawling mode?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I’d be up for anything that reduces the CVN-65 -like turning radius on pavement. That is, and doesn’t destroy tires and the suspension in the process.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Until there is a response, Imma keep asking.

When we getting a snow mode?

After mall crawling mode?
It's august. please don't mention snow until October. Still not recovered fully from last winter

I plan on using sand mode in deep fluffy snow