Sponsored

Geofencing, cameras and radar for ride height and overhead clearance warning

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Anyone know if there are any plans to use geofencing to set ride height? This would be useful for me since I have an unusually low garage opening and can likely only clear my entrance on the low ride height. I've been in parking garages in the past year where you wouldn't want to enter on high. It would be nice if you could define addresses that would automatically set the suspension to a certain level.

Likewise, it would be nice if the forward and backward looking cameras and/or radar could determine overhead clearance and sound an alarm (or even apply brakes if you choose that setting) if it looks too low for comfort.

Big bonus points here if you can tell the vehicles that you have a roof rack (or bikes on bed rack) on your car that add X inches to the height. Bikes on top of an R1T or R1S could easily reach over 9 feet and there are lots of places that would be a problem. I far prefer a hitch mount bike rack but even other roof cargo could create height anxiety.

Rivian R1T R1S Geofencing, cameras and radar for ride height and overhead clearance warning 1647953651430

https://i.redd.it/bjpuofxd11c61.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That would be very cool. I have a very steep driveway with a bump (water diverter) at the top. Most cars scrape on the bump as they come over it. Having the car automatically raise as I turn onto the driveway would be cool.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Anyone know if there are any plans to use geofencing to set ride height? This would be useful for me since I have an unusually low garage opening and can likely only clear my entrance on the low ride height. I've been in parking garages in the past year where you wouldn't want to enter on high. It would be nice if you could define addresses that would automatically set the suspension to a certain level.

Likewise, it would be nice if the forward and backward looking cameras and/or radar could determine overhead clearance and sound an alarm (or even apply brakes if you choose that setting) if it looks too low for comfort.

Big bonus points here if you can tell the vehicles that you have a roof rack (or bikes on bed rack) on your car that add X inches to the height. Bikes on top of an R1T or R1S could easily reach over 9 feet and there are lots of places that would be a problem. I far prefer a hitch mount bike rack but even other roof cargo could create height anxiety.

1647953651430.png

I just asked about bike mount questions in another thread. I think only option will be roof of R1T for most newer 29" and this exact scenario is of major concern - not a matter of if for all roof mounting bikers but WHEN!!!.

To your point about using the sensors to protect a driver defined envelope that includes item on roof or off back, I've asked Rivian and folks on this forum if they've heard this coming multiple times including asking engineers at the early open house events. When I get an answer, its been "should be able to do that" but nothing concrete. Seems like a game changer to me. I hope they can pull it off "soon".

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Seems like a high risk / low reward feature. I don't think there are very many folks today who aren't buying the vehicle today because it doesn't have this feature.

On the other side it's probably a non-trivial effort to implement it - especially if you expect the truck to know the height of public garage entrances - even if not getting them in real time via the cameras is still tricky.

Finally, if you have this feature and it fails, you open yourself to liability for whatever damages injuries occur. You can put all the disclaimers you want, they don't stop people from filing lawsuits which still cost you money.

If i am head of product, I don't invest in this in the near-mid term.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

1647953651430.png

Am I the only one that thinks it ironic the bike is a “Look”…

Sponsored

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Seems like a high risk / low reward feature. I don't think there are very many folks today who aren't buying the vehicle today because it doesn't have this feature.

On the other side it's probably a non-trivial effort to implement it - especially if you expect the truck to know the height of public garage entrances - even if not getting them in real time via the cameras is still tricky.

Finally, if you have this feature and it fails, you open yourself to liability for whatever damages injuries occur. You can put all the disclaimers you want, they don't stop people from filing lawsuits which still cost you money.

If i am head of product, I don't invest in this in the near-mid term.
I totally agree that the absence of this feature isn't going to stop any preorder holders from buying but I do think this feature fits within their adventure vehicle brand and could be attractive to anyone who has ever had overhead clearance anxiety for whatever reason. And they've made a bigger deal of roof cargo than any other brand I've ever seen.

I would think that the forward collision warning needs to be able to detect obstacles at wind-shield level anyway. Hopefully its range extends high enough to allow warning for higher hazards.

People can sue for lots of reasons. I think failure of forward collision warning is one of those but they do that anyway. I really don't know about liability in these situations. What I do know is that I would find this type of feature valuable.

Last edited:

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Tesla offers this feature, I could really use it as well.
Sponsored