First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1S, 18 MDX, 71 240Z
Occupation
Business owner
I just completed my first 1200 mile road trip from Vancouver,WA to Montana. The R1S is a great road tripping car itself although the finding reliable EA charging along the way was not as great. Also the Rivian mileage prediction was very conservative and we consistently ended with more mileage than what it thought but I would rather it err on the conservative side than not.

The issue I had was Driver + does a great job keeping the Riv centered in the lane and consistent speed. However when going by semi’s especially double or triple trailers it feels dangerously close to them as I pass by. As a regular driver I will gently move to the outside of my lane to give the semi more room.

With all the sensors and cameras Rivian could update the logic to where it sees a semi on one side and no traffic to the other side it could move the car away from center close to the outside lane. Either that or allow more user input before auto disabling so I can move the car manually over to give more space.
Sponsored

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Because you have to disable Driver+ when changing lanes, I've found it to be useful only when I'm cruising in the right lane, which meant that I "had the con" each time I was passing anyone, but I very much understand what you mean. The lane centering works really well - even when you may not want it to! This will become a much bigger issue for me when they enable lane changing while Driver+ is engaged.

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I have always noticed the tendency to be too close to a passing vehicle. The problem is if I'm in the right lane and a truck is passing me on the left. Sometimes the side to side distance is on the verge of being dangerous. I have grown used to it so I'm always ready to turn the system off when being passed or I just leave it off if I'm driving in lots of traffic.

Ebenflow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have had issues with non-centering as well. For me, it usually drifts more towards the right side of the lane...a little uncomfortable when passing someone on that side.

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

I have that feeling too. Sometimes I feel I am being sucked into the truck.
This is the widest vehicle that I have ever owned, but still my normal driving habit is to tend move away from large trucks when possible when passing.
It would be nice if it accounted for an empty lane.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Same here but maybe just psychological that most people drive to the left side because it is more difficult to judge the spacing on the right.
Sponsored