Sponsored

Did you cancel your Lightning reservation?

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Curious. Now that the pricing has been announced for the Lightning and we realized that Ford’s marketing team pulled the wool over our eyes (all manufactures do this), how many of you are still on the fence about Lightning vs R1T? If you were in the market for a 300+ mile truck, I don’t think there is a way that the Lightning would be a better value than the R1T given that a 300 mile Lightning costs around $80K but is not us capable as the R1T. If you were in the market for a baseline truck with low range, I could see you sticking with Lighting; or if you absolutely need a full size workhorse of a truck. Not sure most R1T folks are hauling lumber or bricks on a daily so other than the lure of the $39,999 electric truck, what else is left holding you on the fence? Is it the possible delays from getting your R1T?
Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
I cancelled my Lightning reservation.
They didn’t pull the wool over my eyes at $40k. They missed their mark IMO all together, but they will get there $$$ because it’s a Ford F150.
Pound for pound, R1’s are a great value once you get past the initial hurdle and assuming they are all not lemons.
I’m probably in the extreme weekend warrior category. I’ve put my 2015 F150 through multiple house renovations and yard renovations. But Riggs was right, “I’m getting too old for this shit.”
I just want something that I like driving, can help out people in a pinch, will take the 4 of us cross country while I have them, and can grab the 100th piece of furniture to be refinished once she gets around to it.

I’ve had a 5.5’ bed and now I’m all of a sudden going to lose my shit for 4.5 bed? Nah, I’ll make due and still try to do less. Haha

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I’ve kept it, but I’m 99% certain I want the Rivian and will get the Rivian.

The tax credit availability is important to me, for one, and I doubt that by the time Ford gets to me they will be eligible.

More importantly, I really want the 300 m range and the r1t is just the better value by far at that point.

Distant consideration. I do appreciate an elegant user interface, and there simply is no comparison between Rivian’s software and Ford. Legacy auto are light years behind Rivian and Tesla on software.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I'm cancelling mine. Spending 80 grand for that interior quality and exterior styling is a joke. Anyone who needs the "work truck" capabilities would be FAR BETTER OFF just getting the hybrid F-150.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I killed my reservation. I’m pretty sure I would have been a 2nd wave order had I not cancelled it.

Ford decided to force the $9500 premium package onto anyone wanting an XLT and the Extended Range battery. That pushed the price to $75000. An R1T with the Adventure pkg was a much better value at that point. The Lariat’s pricing is just ridiculous IMO.

IMO, there two primary benefits to getting the Lightning. The main one is the larger size. The other is that there is a much higher chance of Ford being around over the next few years. If we’re honest with ourselves, Rivian is still very much in its infancy and has a lot to go through to insure it’s long term viability. Neither of those were enough to make me want to buy the Ford.

Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Has Rivian slowed or stopped delivering to non-employees due to significant quality control issues? Making your wait for the R1T even longer as in 2023? Thus the Ford Lightening will be there while Rivian won't?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Curious. Now that the pricing has been announced for the Lightning and we realized that Ford’s marketing team pulled the wool over our eyes (all manufactures do this), how many of you are still on the fence about Lightning vs R1T? If you were in the market for a 300+ mile truck, I don’t think there is a way that the Lightning would be a better value than the R1T given that a 300 mile Lightning costs around $80K but is not us capable as the R1T. If you were in the market for a baseline truck with low range, I could see you sticking with Lighting; or if you absolutely need a full size workhorse of a truck. Not sure most R1T folks are hauling lumber or bricks on a daily so other than the lure of the $39,999 electric truck, what else is left holding you on the fence? Is it the possible delays from getting your R1T?
I think your conclusions are pretty biased, or at least reflect that you value the off -road performance more than many other aspects of what many of us want a pickup truck for.

I have deposits on both. I have not cancelled either , even though both have failed in the communication department. Overall, neither truck is perfect for me. I prefer some features of each truck.

For the Ford, I like;
- The bed size,
- That it is a manufacturer that knows how to build a truck, which includes producing it in good numbers,
- The use of tactile buttons and switches that I know exactly where they are and don’t require my taking eyes off the road,
- The multiple power outlets,
- The better cameras,
- The design of the frunk: no lift over, and,
- That I know that I can get it fixed almost everywhere.

For the Rivian, I like;
- The (extended) range (even though they have delayed my potential delivery yet again (11/19 reservation),
- its overall outside size (yeah, I get the irony on that one),
- The Gear tunnel,
- Some other minor innovative features.

The jury is still out on - performance (leaning Rivian), exterior fit and finish (leaning Ford) Interior fit, finish, utility and design (leaning Ford) but since I haven’t seen or driven either, I can’t answer.

As soon as I get delivery dates and and a chance to drive them, I will make a decision.

As far as communication or misleading communication, Rivian certainly takes the cake on this one!

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Yes I did.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I still have 2 F150 Lightning reservations, along w/ a Cybertruck reservation and a Silverado EV reservation. They're only $100 each, so why not keep my options open?

At this point, my 2 clear favorites for taking delivery are the R1S and a Bronco Badlands. It's a race to see which one will materialize first!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I cancelled my Lightning reservation. To get a Lightning comparable to a Rivian Adventure package, you need to get the Lariat+. I got a wave 1 invitation and my dealer added $5k, making total price $85k. For that, I can get an R1T Adventure with Max pack! And that's why I got a second Rivian pre-order. I'll take my LE R1T in April/May and revaluate my wants/needs 2nd half of 2023.

Yeah yeah, I can change dealers and get a later wave for $5k less, but that experience soured me. They aren't willing to help me register it in another state, telling me it's illegal to, and conceding after I gave them the Washington Administrative Code which says it's not (standard practice others have done, I'm active duty and register in my state of residence).

The jury is still out on - performance (leaning Rivian), exterior fit and finish (leaning Ford) Interior fit, finish, utility and design (leaning Ford) but since I haven’t seen or driven either, I can’t answer.
I haven't seen either vehicle, since I've been deployed every single time there's an event or First Mile or whatnot. But my wife has seen and driven them both and loves the Rivian! I didn't expect that at all, her dream car was a "black on black F-150," and that's the only reason I got the F-150 reservation originally.

Sponsored

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
I killed my reservation. I’m pretty sure I would have been a 2nd wave order had I not cancelled it.

Ford decided to force the $9500 premium package onto anyone wanting an XLT and the Extended Range battery. That pushed the price to $75000. An R1T with the Adventure pkg was a much better value at that point. The Lariat’s pricing is just ridiculous IMO.

IMO, there two primary benefits to getting the Lightning. The main one is the larger size. The other is that there is a much higher chance of Ford being around over the next few years. If we’re honest with ourselves, Rivian is still very much in its infancy and has a lot to go through to insure it’s long term viability. Neither of those were enough to make me want to buy the Ford.
Agreed. Only reason I’m interested is because of the size, specifically interior cabin size for a family of 5. I actually prefer the smaller bed as I will primarily just use it for hauling kids crap and minor household repairs / yard work. As long as the Rivian is big enough for short trips for 2 adults and 3 preteen to teen kids (have an Expedition for long trips) then the R1T is clearly my preferred option. Being able to use it as a generator is also a minor plus for a SHTF situation but I have a Generac. If something causes me to be down to my EV as my only power option then it will probably be the least of my concerns.

I’m keeping my reservation just to see timing of when I will be able to get each one. If I can get the F150 a year earlier then the decision may be made for me

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have not cancelled mine yet. I already got my $100 back when I switched dealers so there is no reason to cancel. The new dealer starting to show their true colors now that they have found out their allocation remains the same even if I cancel (Ford confirmed this for me on a call). So at this point I am fairly disgusted by the whole dealer system and the way Ford is mismanaging it.

I still have all my reservations. Not holding my breath for CT. Other than timing, Tesla quality issues are a concern too. I am excited about Silverado due to avalanche mid-gate design. But I expect the pricing for it to be like Ford with higher trims. I am considering R1S over R1T because I find it’s consolidated space more useful than chopped up separate spaces in R1T. Direct sale is looking really attractive right now.

My opinion changes day to day based on what YouTube algorithm thinks I should buy but at this point, I am thinking to ignore Ford invitation to convert, wait for Rivian and reassess when I get the call from Rivian. If I get tired of waiting, I may just get a Ridgeline and come back to BEVs in 10 years when battery tech has matured, when there are real options that have been tested for a few years.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Nope. I was always planning on the Lariat+. I haven't been invited to order yet, but I still have a better chance of getting the Lightning before an R1T. Both trucks have pluses and minuses over the other one. I'm not cancelling anything until there is an ev truck in my garage.

OP
OP

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Has Rivian slowed or stopped delivering to non-employees due to significant quality control issues? Making your wait for the R1T even longer as in 2023? Thus the Ford Lightening will be there while Rivian won't?
When I took a look at the delivery surveys someone put together for the delivery windows, it seemed like there would be some spattering of customer deliveries Jan-March but it really started picking up in the April to June windows. For the R1S, it started picking up in the July window so although still shipping, I imagine we won’t see a significant number out on the roads until summer.

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Keeping my reservation for now. I was the earliest reservation holder at my dealership but they decided to move 10 reservations ahead of me so now I'm number 11 at my dealership (really crappy business practice but Ford set the rules up for this to happen). The only positive is that this dealership is one of the few that is sticking to MSRP but is charging $1000 for a vehicle protection package (all in all pretty good compared to most).

Many things Ford did right with the lightning (80A charging, home power, massive frunk, standard size bed etc) despite these areas I still think that rivian is just a cooler vehicle ( only wish would have been for a 5ft bed like the rest of the midsize truck world) and is a better value proposition. I will order the extended range lariat which will put the price right at $80K. Thats about 6K more than my current R1T build. Who knows what the delivery timeline for that will be. Probably sometime in 2023. By then I will hopefully have several thousand miles on my R1T and will be loving it. Can cancel the build anytime until the Ford enters production. Also if my order goes through and then I don't want the Ford, I'm sure my dealer won't mind having to go through the trouble of selling it on the open market.
Sponsored