Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22/R1T/20AT/RUS
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Congrats! It seems every month... the rules change... at first they allowed shipping to different locations then not, and now they have the POS tax credit and allow more states to purchase demos.

It's been almost two weeks since I reserved mine and I haven't even received a firm price + contract (sales person has been updating me every few days). I suspect there is something wrong with my R1S demo.
Where is your R1S located? I was able 'expedite' my order by requesting a demo drive. Once in the service center, I told the demo drive representative I have an R1T on order in their facility. She made some calls and was able to schedule delivery in 5 days.
Sponsored

sid3sg

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jaguar F-Pace
Hi all - in a bit of a predicament here and would love any advice.

I am based in Los Angeles, and was going to pull the trigger on the $699/mo Quad motor lease deal that is currently going on the R1S, and was going to do a 0 down, which would give me a $902/mo payment for 36mo with 10k miles. Below breakdown of what I was going to do. This would be on a 92K MSRP.

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Rivians Now for Sale Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.30.39 PM

I then came across the Demo Cars Shop and made the following reservation on a 2023 R1S with 5464 miles on it. The config is superior to the lease option with upgraded interior color (need to see the green in person) and 20" All Terrain Dark wheels. Most importantly, it is priced at $73,400+taxes/fees, and I would be financing this.

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Rivians Now for Sale Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.33.23 PM

I am in no rush, and want to just make the right decision with hopefully the best deal. Given the Refresh that is coming up, the depreciation of EVs and the above 2 options in terms of leasing vs purchasing and the associated priced cars, what would you recommend?

mcarver316

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22/R1T/20AT/RUS
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I am based in Los Angeles, and was going to pull the trigger on the $699/mo Quad motor lease deal that is currently going on the R1S, and was going to do a 0 down, which would give me a $902/mo payment for 36mo with 10k miles. Below breakdown of what I was going to do. This would be on a 92K MSRP.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.30.39 PM.png

I then came across the Demo Cars Shop and made the following reservation on a 2023 R1S with 5464 miles on it. The config is superior to the lease option with upgraded interior color (need to see the green in person) and 20" All Terrain Dark wheels. Most importantly, it is priced at $73,400+taxes/fees, and I would be financing this.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.33.23 PM.png

I am in no rush, and want to just make the right decision with hopefully the best deal. Given the Refresh that is coming up, the depreciation of EVs and the above 2 options in terms of leasing vs purchasing and the associated priced cars, what would you recommend?
This is very personal decision. For me, the demo R1T I purchased just hit the right check boxes (pre-price hike pricing, point-of-sale tax credit and full warranty).

The 'what' and 'when' of the refresh is being debated quite a bit. If you are indeed not in a hurry, you can continue monitoring the demo inventory and news on the refresh for more intel. Either way, Rivian makes amazing vehicles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mcarver316

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22/R1T/20AT/RUS
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

How often are R1S being listed? Been watching site for about two weeks and I’m only seeing R1Ts. Thanks.
Not very often- I think Rivian is still on their first round of demo vehicle sale- America loves SUVs, so the R1S can disappear as soon as they come up-- mostly from cancellations, for one reason or another at this point.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Where is your R1S located? I was able 'expedite' my order by requesting a demo drive. Once in the service center, I told the demo drive representative I have an R1T on order in their facility. She made some calls and was able to schedule delivery in 5 days.
ATL - so not local to me. Will ping my sales guide tomorrow as it's been 2 weeks since I reserved.

How often are R1S being listed? Been watching site for about two weeks and I’m only seeing R1Ts. Thanks.
I've only seen 3 dumps. At the beginning back in early March when the demos first appeared... once again in late March and then late April. Every time the R1Ses sold out in minutes. I recall seeing one in March and thinking "yeah I should put my name on this" and it was gone before I could reserve it lol

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I just signed the agreement on a demo model. Works out great for me: ironically, I live not too far from Normal, IL (about 150 miles), but the truck I'm buying is in Richmond, VA. But I had a trip to Richmond (for other business) already planned. So I'll just take delivery of the truck and drive it home to Illinois! I'm getting a very good deal on it--I think one reason for this is that VA is one of the places in which demos can't be registered and Rivian can't ship demos (I don't understand any of that, but I'll roll with it). So they just want the thing off the lot! Also, the color scheme, which I _love_, is "spinach omelette" (as a former New Mexico resident, I prefer "green chile cheese omelette"): Compass Yellow on the outside, Forest Edge on the inside. That's actually my preference, but I know lots of people (including Dr. Scaringe) dislike it. I'm cool with that--for what we're paying for these things, we can get what makes us happy!

Anyway, the process was utterly painless, so far: did a test drive in Normal last Thursday. Didn't even know about the demo program until Saturday. Clicked on the order button on Sunday. Got a call from a sales guide as I was driving to lunch today (Monday) and the deal was done by 7:00 p.m. I'm sorry that others have hit real speed bumps! But it was unbelievably swift and painless in my experience.

FYI: they _did_ apply the federal tax incentive to my bill directly, so I don't need to wait until tax time to get it back.

I am so looking forward to doing the shakedown drive from VA to IL! Should be a blast!

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I just signed the agreement on a demo model. Works out great for me: ironically, I live not too far from Normal, IL (about 150 miles), but the truck I'm buying is in Richmond, VA. But I had a trip to Richmond (for other business) already planned. So I'll just take delivery of the truck and drive it home to Illinois! I'm getting a very good deal on it--I think one reason for this is that VA is one of the places in which demos can't be registered and Rivian can't ship demos (I don't understand any of that, but I'll roll with it). So they just want the thing off the lot! Also, the color scheme, which I _love_, is "spinach omelette" (as a former New Mexico resident, I prefer "green chile cheese omelette"): Compass Yellow on the outside, Forest Edge on the inside. That's actually my preference, but I know lots of people (including Dr. Scaringe) dislike it. I'm cool with that--for what we're paying for these things, we can get what makes us happy!

Anyway, the process was utterly painless, so far: did a test drive in Normal last Thursday. Didn't even know about the demo program until Saturday. Clicked on the order button on Sunday. Got a call from a sales guide as I was driving to lunch today (Monday) and the deal was done by 7:00 p.m. I'm sorry that others have hit real speed bumps! But it was unbelievably swift and painless in my experience.

FYI: they _did_ apply the federal tax incentive to my bill directly, so I don't need to wait until tax time to get it back.

I am so looking forward to doing the shakedown drive from VA to IL! Should be a blast!
Compass Yellow for the win. I hope you're not a Bears fan lol. I wanted a Red R1S for the wife to go with my yellow R1T but couldn't have Chiefs colors in the driveway. So we found an awesome Black, college colors not Steelers lol.

Sponsored

mcarver316

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22/R1T/20AT/RUS
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

ATL - so not local to me. Will ping my sales guide tomorrow as it's been 2 weeks since I reserved.

I've only seen 3 dumps. At the beginning back in early March when the demos first appeared... once again in late March and then late April. Every time the R1Ses sold out in minutes. I recall seeing one in March and thinking "yeah I should put my name on this" and it was gone before I could reserve it lol
According to the Rivian guide, only orders from Normal, IL can be shipped to other states. In all other states, the customer will have to travel and pick up.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

According to the Rivian guide, only orders from Normal, IL can be shipped to other states. In all other states, the customer will have to travel and pick up.
Yes but that was not true back in early March when demos first appeared. Rivian did ship them across the country but changed that rule a few weeks later. Rivian guide told me no POS tax credit either (I booked R1T first in early March but let it go) but it seems that has changed recently too. Now it seems you can buy and register demos in the states (I.e MD) they list as not possible lol.

ATL a week or two ago would have been perfect. R2/R3 demo there and another event nearby. I just think something is wrong with the demo.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.30.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.33.23 PM.png

How are you finding R1S's in the demo inventory? Everytime i check it's all R1Ts...

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I don't think it's you, momo, I think there just aren't any R1Ss available. When I look at:
https://demovehicles.rivian.com/collections/all
I see a bunch of R1Ss, but all have been "claimed"! I have no good ideas about why the SUVs are getting snapped up more quickly than the trucks, but my best guess is that a small miscalculation at the corporate level led to the disparity. Anyway, I don't think it's anything you are doing wrong, just the luck of the draw.