First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
One of the website updates with todays launch of the dual motor and standard range battery configurations (I hear the prices changed a bit too… ) had a curious side effect on the R1S product page.

The text under “Capability” that previously referenced a “longer range” R1S being announced later is gone, replaced by this paragraph:

“From the hottest places to the coldest — from 130ºF to -25ºF — our battery systems were built to explore, delivering between 260 – 320+ miles of range depending on the battery pack and motor that you select. The Dual-Motor and 21" wheel combination is the most efficient, with the 20” and 22” wheels having a range reduction of 10-15% and 5-10% respectively. Estimates will vary depending on driving style and conditions.³”

I happened to have an old screen shot of what it previously said:

Rivian R1T R1S Death to the longer range R1S?! 1646194444029
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Man, that would really suck. Obviously with the price jump, everything is in the air, but I was still sort-of hoping to pull off an R1T as my "multi-purpose" vehicle, and a max-pack R1S for daily driving & long trips with 400+ miles of range.

Feels like everything is falling apart at once.

OP
OP
jtshaw

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Man, that would really suck. Obviously with the price jump, everything is in the air, but I was still sort-of hoping to pull off an R1T as my "multi-purpose" vehicle, and a max-pack R1S for daily driving & long trips with 400+ miles of range.

Feels like everything is falling apart at once.
Yeah. I take this less as a “door is closed” and more as a “we haven’t yet figured out how to do this” type of situation but that is obviously speculation. My guess has always been that there wasn’t an obvious well protected space for the bigger pack on the R1S because of the short wheelbase.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, I've been expecting that since they originally started messaging that it would be coming later. That along with cancellation of the 5 seat version. I'm just really glad I didn't give up my LE config (and corresponding delivery window) for the 5 seat config that is no more....

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I saw something last night that I hadn't seen before. It said the shorter wheel base of the R1S prevented the max pack and it would only be offered with the R1T. I think it was in one of the articles I read from a 3rd party about the price increase.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I noticed this today, while looking at the website - totally missed it in the pricing debacle.

Seems the “Larger” pack R1S really is dead, at least for the next few years and all current preorders holders. Sad.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
It's a real shame the max pack isn't coming to the R1S. That's the only reason I put in a reservation. I have unique Overlanding use requirements and the "Large Pack" isn't going to cut it. By the time I load the R1S up with gear, decent off-road tires, in cold temperatures, probably looking at under 200 mile range.

Then add in off-roading part of the trip and power use at the camp-site, "Large Pack" is just not going to cut it. You can't carry extra electrons. So I purchased a Diesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I can carry extra Diesel in Jerry Cans, plus the Diesel is much more efficient in the cold and during off-roading.

So basically means I just have to flip the Rivian when it comes in.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's a real shame the max pack isn't coming to the R1S. That's the only reason I put in a reservation. I have unique Overlanding use requirements and the "Large Pack" isn't going to cut it. By the time I load the R1S up with gear, decent off-road tires, in cold temperatures, probably looking at under 200 mile range.

Then add in off-roading part of the trip and power use at the camp-site, "Large Pack" is just not going to cut it. You can't carry extra electrons. So I purchased a Diesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I can carry extra Diesel in Jerry Cans, plus the Diesel is much more efficient in the cold and during off-roading.

So basically means I just have to flip the Rivian when it comes in.
Sounds like your concerns are more with EVs in general than pack size since the R1T is coming with the Max pack but yet you opted for diesel Gladiator over Max Pack R1T. Nothing wrong with that.

And, technically, the Diesel is not more efficient. Its advantage is in energy density and being able to store a lot more energy for a trip. Even with the Max Pack, the Rivian is only carrying the equivalent of a little over 5 gallons of gas.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Sounds like your concerns are more with EVs in general than pack size since the R1T is coming with the Max pack but yet you opted for diesel Gladiator over Max Pack R1T. Nothing wrong with that.

And, technically, the Diesel is not more efficient. Its advantage is in energy density and being able to store a lot more energy for a trip. Even with the Pax Pack, the Rivian is only carrying the equivalent of a little over 5 gallons of gas.
I've owned two EV's, for my Overland use current EV's do not have the energy density to go real remote. Yes a Diesel Rubicon Gladiator is way less efficient than a Rivian, but I can carry a crap ton more energy.

The reason I went with the Gladiator is I plan to hack open the back of the cabin and combine the rear bed with a cap into one large camping space with a rubber accordion bellow. I am not interested in roof/bed-top tents that the R1T would require. The R1T's gear tunnel adds too much complication to doing what I'm doing with the Gladiator.

Plus any external gear added on racks to a Rivian is going to cause a much larger penalty to range than it would on a Diesel Gladiator.

Another thing is the Rivian still doesn't have a winch option. Any real off-roading requires a winch as backup. Rivian says a winch is coming, but I'll believe it when I see it on a production truck.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've owned two EV's, for my Overland use current EV's do not have the energy density to go real remote. Yes a Diesel Rubicon Gladiator is way less efficient than a Rivian, but I can carry a crap ton more energy.

The reason I went with the Gladiator is I plan to hack open the back of the cabin and combine the rear bed with a cap into one large camping space with a rubber accordion bellow. I am not interested in roof/bed-top tents that the R1T would require. The R1T's gear tunnel adds too much complication to doing what I'm doing with the Gladiator.
Precisely, thanks for affirming my observation and providing the additional context around your plans for the Gladiator and how it will become a suitable R1S alternative for your use case.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Another thing is the Rivian still doesn't have a winch option. Any real off-roading requires a winch as backup. Rivian says a winch is coming, but I'll believe it when I see it on a production truck.
Forgive my ignorance, is a winch an OEM option you can order with the gladiator? Controllable with the vehicle's app?

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Forgive my ignorance, is a winch an OEM option you can order with the gladiator? Controllable with the vehicle's app?
No, but the front steel bumper you can order from factory is winch-ready (you just add the mounting plate). Hopefully Rivian will eventually provide a winch-plate/bumper mod.

I plan on getting the Warn Zeon Platinum series winch, which has a wireless remote.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

And, technically, the Diesel is not more efficient. Its advantage is in energy density and being able to store a lot more energy for a trip. Even with the Max Pack, the Rivian is only carrying the equivalent of a little over 5 gallons of gas.
In compete agreement here. I don't quite understand all the fuss about the max pack.

Yes it can take you further but not significantly further. For all those that bring up towing as a main issue, Max Pack will probably only extend the range by 20~30 miles, if that much, and certainly not hundred miles. In other words, it simply requires more planning to get to your destination.

If the reason is remoteness and not have infrastructure, then why are you looking at an EV? Maybe in 10~15 yeas but not today.

I know all you outdoors people who will disagree with me but if your priority is what you say it is, then the reality doesn't match with expectations for your use case. There are viable options with ICE and maybe even PHEV.

In time, EV range will increase, just as ICE did. My first car had a range of less than 300 miles. Today I think I can go 450 miles. Just be patient and maybe by the time 3rd or 4th gen Rivian comes along, it will be there.
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy