Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I just installed bluetooth monitors on both 12v batteries to monitor vampire drain. But a side effect is that I can see if they are getting charged regularly -- they are, in my case.
Can you show how you installed the monitor and are using it? Do you use it while driving or just stationary? Any thoughts on how to tell if the batteries and charging system are healthy or not based on the data you are getting?
Sponsored

OP
OP

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
There's literally no electronics involved. First pull unlocks the door and the second pull opens it. Door handles don't need to be presented on the outside of the vehicle to open it as the locking mechanism still works either way.

Some people have had issues due to their cables freezing up but that's an entirely different problem. Odds of every door having that issue at the same time are zero.
You are absolutely correct thanks again. How did you know so much detail?

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Can you show how you installed the monitor and are using it? Do you use it while driving or just stationary? Any thoughts on how to tell if the batteries and charging system are healthy or not based on the data you are getting?
Here is a graph of voltage since I installed them. I compared both 12v batteries and they have essentially the same graphs, which does seem a little odd. I would think they would discharge at different rates. The monitors run 24/7, parked or driving, shipping mode or not, because they are connected directly to the battery terminals. The monitors use ~0.013W so insignificant. For an AGM battery, charging is around 14v, float charge around 13.5v, and nominal 100% charged battery around 13v. The truck has been sitting in a garage, GG off (I think, I will update if not), no connectivity or waking up, and yet you can see that after it stops charging, it immediately begins to slowly drain. I will do a shipping mode test next week but I expect the same.

Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries rivian_12v_graph

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Here is a graph of voltage since I installed them. I compared both 12v batteries and they have essentially the same graphs, which does seem a little odd. I would think they would discharge at different rates. The monitors run 24/7, parked or driving, shipping mode or not, because they are connected directly to the battery terminals. The monitors use ~0.013W so insignificant. For an AGM battery, charging is around 14v, float charge around 13.5v, and nominal 100% charged battery around 13v. The truck has been sitting in a garage, GG off (I think, I will update if not), no connectivity or waking up, and yet you can see that after it stops charging, it immediately begins to slowly drain. I will do a shipping mode test next week but I expect the same.
More data as promised. I had to stitch a couple screenshots together to achieve the pics. Labels are inset:

Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries riv_7day
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries riv_noGG
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries riv_shipping2
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries tesla

As you can see, the Tesla loses next to zero electrons. Rivian shipping mode reduces drain but not perfect yet. Temps in the 40s and 50s. No connectivity to either vehicle.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Here you have it folks, a solid shipping mode test. As you can see (not very clear actually but I checked closer in the app) the 12v batteries last about 20 hours before they need to be recharged by the big batteries. This is much better than "non-shipping" mode - GG off, no connectivity - it only goes about 4-6 hours without charging. Going to check back in and post the kW lost in the trip meter later today, I had to rush this morning to the office and only had time to gather bluetooth data. :) Temps 40s to 50s.
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries riv_shipping_final

Sponsored

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Here you have it folks, a solid shipping mode test. As you can see (not very clear actually but I checked closer in the app) the 12v batteries last about 20 hours before they need to be recharged by the big batteries. This is much better than "non-shipping" mode - GG off, no connectivity - it only goes about 4-6 hours without charging. Going to check back in and post the kW lost in the trip meter later today, I had to rush this morning to the office and only had time to gather bluetooth data. :) Temps 40s to 50s.
riv_shipping_final.jpg
These charts have been very informative. What would be the warning signs of weak 12v battery or one about to go bad on a chart like this?

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

These charts have been very informative. What would be the warning signs of weak 12v battery or one about to go bad on a chart like this?
Wish I could tell you but I don't have a clue! But I will try: I suppose if voltage dropped quickly after recharging rather than a steady linear decline, and also if the battery needs to be recharged very often, or the voltage drops below 12.3V. It seems to start charging when it reaches 12.3v. My guess is that the inverter would hide any symptoms of bad batteries by attempting to charge them more often, but surely there is some logic in the code to detect charging "too often". Any time the truck unlocks, it starts charging, and keeps charging until long after you park it and walk away, so I would say that typically a 12V battery failure would have to be a catastrophic one in order to brick the truck because the HV battery acts like a backup to the 12V's.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Final update! Shipping mode is about 2x better than normal drain. According to the trip meter (if it can be trusted), with calculating how many times it charged per day, each charge takes about 800 Wh (+/- 30). So if you are in shipping mode, you will lose around 800 Wh/day, and in non shipping mode, AVERAGE of 1600Wh/day, at least if you have my truck. YMMV. One thing is proven clear here though, shipping mode does cut drain in half. Images are 5 and 6 April (yesterday and today)
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries 5_Apr_sample
Rivian R1T R1S Dead 12v batteries 6_April

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT