Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's because it's not. It's an improvement to cell design, yes, but still constrained by thermal loading, total system voltage, and any number of other small issues.

And the Ultium system isn't being praised for the cells (which are pretty standard, and can be improved once cell technology improves). Ultium's advantage comes from it's system design and manufacturing process. Which yes, is the best on the market today.
It's certainly the only one I'm aware of that has planned upgradability. We're still probably 4-5 years out before we'll see that come to fruition, but it would be pretty amazing if GM actually follows through with that.
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ yeah, it's not Elon's name but employees and Tesla, inc on the patent. But it's pretty common to use 'Elon' in place of 'Tesla'. We really never know who came up with what at Tesla, but we know who filed the patent. I've seen a paper on tabless cells going back to 2006 IIRC, so not even original to Tesla, inc. Tesla patented their design for it and is producing it which creates a lot of resentment among Musk detractors.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The Cyber Truck is the most famous EV Concept Car in history. There is a 100% chance it will not go to market the same as when they took deposits.

The second most famous EV concept is the next generation roadster. They also took massive deposits on those and have no plan to manufacture them at the moment.

If you are frustrated with Rivian communication - be thankful you aren't waiting on Tesla Vaporware to become a real product.

Sponsored

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
The Cyber Truck is the most famous EV Concept Car in history. There is a 100% chance it will not go to market the same as when they took deposits.

The second most famous EV concept is the next generation roadster. They also took massive deposits on those and have no plan to manufacture them at the moment.

If you are frustrated with Rivian communication - be thankful you aren't waiting on Tesla Vaporware to become a real product.
What sort of information are you in possession of that would validate that position that they won't make that truck?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What sort of information are you in possession of that would validate that position that they won't make that truck?
They have already modified the truck proportions twice on the concept. That original size is not going to market. They still don’t have a validated interior or exterior design nor any actual pricing. They have just recently realized that they have to slap a massive windshield wiper on the thing because they failed to anticipate that might be needed.

They had a massive party last week called the “cyber rodeo” and all they could do was drive the concept on stage again and say we plan to start production “sometime next year”. They said the same thing in 2019, 2021 and now 2022. It’s always - next year.

Tesla has a long history of announcing things they don’t follow through on unless it’s to get attention or to get funding (private or government grants). The cyber truck may be another on that list (battery swap stations, solar roof tiles, robotaxis, personal robots, etc).

I guess I have to throw the question back to you - What have they done so far that makes you so confident that they are going to have a cyber truck in customer hands next year?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I know it’s not totally fair to fully criticize a concept vehicle, but this still made me laugh. Given Tesla’s resources and Musk’s big mouth I would have thought this would be a bit further along by now If they truly plan to make and sell this truck.

https://jalopnik.com/the-latest-tesla-cybertruck-prototype-looks-even-worse-1848777645
Agreed it's not fair to judge quality of build based on this. BUT, I think it is definitely an indicator of how far away they actually are from having a production-ready vehicle.

Also, that wiper.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Agreed it's not fair to judge quality of build based on this. BUT, I think it is definitely an indicator of how far away they actually are from having a production-ready vehicle.

Also, that wiper.
Agreed. I am definitely not the target audience for this thing so I’m sure I’m being overly judgmental, but….

They will need to sell those wiper replacements at Home Depot so people can use a proper cart to check out.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck photo leaked! ? H-2667?$MediumRHD$

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Tesla has a long history of announcing things they don’t follow through on unless it’s to get attention or to get funding (private or government grants). The cyber truck may be another on that list (battery swap stations, solar roof tiles, robotaxis, personal robots, etc).
Tesla has delivered on every product it has promised. Yes, it has a history of products getting frustratingly delayed (Model S, Model X, Roadster 2, CT, FSD, Solar roof) some products starting production on time (Model 3), and some products getting delivered ahead of schedule (Model Y). They have an immutable habit of "flexible" timelines. But the vehicles they deliver have always exceeded the reveal specs on range and performance. And they remain the only company that has scaled EVs to above a million units a year (closing in on a production rate of 500k / quarter).

The only example one can find of an abandoned product (if you can call it that) is the swap stations. OTOH, they announced and delivered spectacularly on the Supercharger network (because battery swaps were stupid and SC network is awesome and somewhere along the way they realized that).

If history is your guide you would bet that the CT, roadster, and Semi will all start delivering next year and then arrive in volume in '24. You would bet that all three will have longer range and better performance than originally promised. You would also bet on fairly significant price rises.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla has delivered on every product it has promised. Yes, it has a history of products getting frustratingly delayed (Model S, Model X, Roadster 2, CT, FSD, Solar roof) some products starting production on time (Model 3), and some products getting delivered ahead of schedule (Model Y). They have an immutable habit of "flexible" timelines. But the vehicles they deliver have always exceeded the reveal specs on range and performance. And they remain the only company that has scaled EVs to above a million units a year (closing in on a production rate of 500k / quarter).

The only example one can find of an abandoned product (if you can call it that) is the swap stations. OTOH, they announced and delivered spectacularly on the Supercharger network (because battery swaps were stupid and SC network is awesome and somewhere along the way they realized that).

If history is your guide you would bet that the CT, roadster, and Semi will all start delivering next year and then arrive in volume in '24. You would bet that all three will have longer range and better performance than originally promised. You would also bet on fairly significant price rises.
1. Tesla has failed to deliver the $35k Model 3
2. Tesla (Musk) promised a Tesla would drive itself all the way across the US on its own in 2017
3. Musk Promised 1 million robotaxis by 2020 - so far they have no robotaxis and no plan to deliver any.
4. Tesla took $50k deposits on the new Roadster in 2017 and $250k deposits on the Founders edition roadster and still have no final version of the car or production timeline.
5. In 2017 Musk promised the Tesla Semi truck would “deliver to customers” in 2019
6. June 2017 - “all superchargers are being converted to solar power” - where are those again?
7. Battery Swap stations were announced in 2013. Still no battery swap station except for the one they built to get the grant money and closed when they cashed the check.

Bet all you want. I bought Tesla stock at $50 and have made a ton of money off it. But not because I wasn’t fully aware that half their claims are full of shit.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Only speaking for myself, I include all products that Musk talks about into one big basket (because he is such a prolific shitposter), and there are definitely plenty of brilliant ones. But there are also quite a few misses as well. The tunnels are idiotic. Hyperloop was also his idea. And it remains to be seen what will happen with the silly robot or his brain implant, But it’s not looking good…. Not going well for the solar roof tiles either.

Tesla is still a young company compared to the legacy manufacturers. In the beginning most of their products were hits as well. Over time they all had designs that face planted and Tesla will have some of those too as time goes on. I could be totally wrong but CT could be their first failure as a car manufacturer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Are you not counting the Plaid+ as a canceled delivery of an announced product?

They also cannot get credit for CT, Roadster 2, semi, or FSD until they are actually delivered. At this point they are not, does not mean they will not be but until they are….
Sponsored