Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Brian I just saw this update…better, but I still think running the horizontal supports along the bed rail will give better support (less movement) of the bed rail attachment points, thus strengthening and making a safer rack.

F713425C-0538-4DE0-BF48-3021715796A7.jpeg
Brian, I think someone else has already asked this…but, what have you found to secure the rack to the trucks bed rails (hard points)? I have been searching, but haven’t found a clamp that will snap or lock in like the Rivian cross bars do.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m all ears. This was just trying to get a quick vid but haven’t been able to get a more secure latch otherwise.
Try locking them with the key before going for the second click when closing the cover. I had that shaking/loose issue too trying to click it in THEN lock. I learned to lock it BEFORE clicking in and it goes tightly.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Watch Overland Ruff Rax. They built one for the Optima Rivian build along with a roof rack which I have my eye on..

For anyone interested it sounds like Overland Ruffrax will have some Rivian rack solutions for sale in 2 weeks, at least that is what they told me on instagram.

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Definitely curious how the mounts work!

EucB

First Name
Euclid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Retired
This is my finished cab high crossbar design.
Anything news since your post in July. I am interested in a solution like this for carrying our 14’ kayaks.

Sponsored

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
^Thanks gents. I get two clear and certain clicks on the tower hooks, the first click engages the initial hook as it is cantilevered out by pushing down, the second click when clamping the latch which tightens the hook to the bedrail. It is the same fitment whether or not I lean onto the top of the tower while latching, same outcome if the hooks are pointing fore or aft. Even if the towers were not budging, the mid extention section in the cross bars would move at the slider joints.
Did you ever sort this out? If not, the rubber fitting around the foot of the crossbar is removable. You might need a screw driver or something to help pry it off. Once removed, there's an allen key that can be turned to make adjustments. Probably, you'll find that once you remove the fitting and try to lock it in place, it will be solid (I did at least). Play with the allen key adjustments and putting the fitting back on until it locks securely.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^Thanks @Rivuylkill, the locking first procedure did not help my situation. Bolting a bike rack or storage box to the crossbars braced it more solidly so took the lazy route. Will definitely take your recommendation on the hex key adjustment, much appreciated.

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and F350
I've been waiting to hear from Yakima whether they had any plans to build this and they got back to me on Monday. Their answer was "this could potentially be our next modification for a "BedTrack Kit", but there is nothing in the works right now". They make the current crossbars for Rivian. I didn't want to compete with Yakima. I have my pricing worked out and would need to sell them for $2,950. Does that seem like a price most folks would be willing to pay?

Sponsored

Singlearrow

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would be interested at that price point- but I would want to get a better understanding of weight capacity, frame stability/flex under accel, etc. could it handle a 80lb fishing kayak and a canoe on the top rack? What’s the connection technique to the rails? Thanks for working on this!

Aonach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - Rivian Blue
I'm now thinking of keeping it simple and getting one of these. I don't see anyone coming forward with a set of high crossbars that are going to even be within a reasonable amount. I figure this can do everything I need in the meantime for a 5th of the price, is lightweight, and can install when I need to. Doesn't look cool but I couldn't get the lumber home the other day and had to return it to the store. Felt like an idiot in my expensive long load dysfunctional truck.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Yakima/Y01149.html

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm now thinking of keeping it simple and getting one of these. I don't see anyone coming forward with a set of high crossbars that are going to even be within a reasonable amount. I figure this can do everything I need in the meantime for a 5th of the price, is lightweight, and can install when I need to. Doesn't look cool but I couldn't get the lumber home the other day and had to return it to the store. Felt like an idiot in my expensive long load dysfunctional truck.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Yakima/Y01149.html
Wonder if there are any concerns on clearing the gooseneck hinged tailgate