First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Big time conundrum! On one hand we all want our vehicles yesterday. Waiting for them to work thru the production bugs and snafu's is hard to do. Perspective: how would you feel if they got you the truck and you had nothing but problems? Or quality controls were poor? For me, I'd rather wait and let Rivian get as many production kinks out as possible before getting my truck. Having driven one in the last week in LA, I think they are almost there. I experienced very few glitches (windows did not want to go up the first time) and the quality and ride were amazing. I"m scheduled for june-july 22. I can be patient. BUT for giggles, I did put $$ down on a LE Fisker Ocean. Lots of cool tech. I could be happy with either truthfully.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Big time conundrum! On one hand we all want our vehicles yesterday. Waiting for them to work thru the production bugs and snafu's is hard to do. Perspective: how would you feel if they got you the truck and you had nothing but problems? Or quality controls were poor? For me, I'd rather wait and let Rivian get as many production kinks out as possible before getting my truck. Having driven one in the last week in LA, I think they are almost there. I experienced very few glitches (windows did not want to go up the first time) and the quality and ride were amazing. I"m scheduled for june-july 22. I can be patient. BUT for giggles, I did put $$ down on a LE Fisker Ocean. Lots of cool tech. I could be happy with either truthfully.
Not really a conundrum.

rush It and have QC issues, or take the time to do it right.

There Is only one chance at quality.

Seattlejoshua

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Occupation
Finance
Not really a conundrum.

rush It and have QC issues, or take the time to do it right.

There Is only one chance at quality.
Exactly. Look at Peloton. They tried to go fast on the bike+ and delivered a massive amount of warranty replacements with it. Their P&L reflects it too.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Well, I think that’s precisely why Ford would want to buy/takeover Rivian. They already have a substantial investment in the company and are actively helping Rivian. If Rivian were to begin going under, it would make sense that Ford would be a primary bidder to take it over. The Lincoln brand isn’t what it once was. Pure speculation of course but Ford has a lot of skin in the game that they would presumably want to protect.
Ford is already on the record saying they will sell Rivian shares at some point. As for buying them, they cannot afford it, In fact none of the legacy automakers can afford to buy Rivian and while developing their own EV transition product lines.

The only real buyer for Rivian is Amazon. Amazon probably is already the single largest external investor for Rivian. And keeps JB in the game against EM in addition to space access.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Exactly. Look at Peloton. They tried to go fast on the bike+ and delivered a massive amount of warranty replacements with it. Their P&L reflects it too.
there’s lots of compelling reasons to make a high quality product, not only because it’s good for continued business but also because warranty claims suck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
The problem is, they never communicate effectively to pre-order holders.
1)My delivery window is March-April… I have no confidence that it will happen. 2)We were supposed to be introduced to our guides.. looks like guides are on the back burner
3) RJ said more communication and visibility was forthcoming (paraphrasing). The opposite has occurred.

luckily some non-employees finally got a truck and we are getting some much needed information on functionality. If not for these few owners our knowledge of operational functionality would still be near zero.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This new batch of delivery timeframes seems to align well with all LE R1T's delivered by Jul 2022 and R1S's by Aug. 2022. Still feeling it for those early preorders that configured MAX pack instead of LE's. I Hope Rivian lets 2018-2019 preorders reconfigure to LE if they want.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This new batch of delivery timeframes seems to align well with all LE R1T's delivered by Jul 2022 and R1S's by Aug. 2022. Still feeling it for those early preorders that configured MAX pack instead of LE's. I Hope Rivian lets 2018-2019 preorders reconfigure to LE if they want.
Seems like Rivian will let them reconfigure to an adventure with large pack but not an LE. I don't think there will be any more LE's.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Seems like Rivian will let them reconfigure to an adventure with large pack but not an LE. I don't think there will be any more LE's.
That is correct. The Launch Edition was sold out within the first week of the Configurator being open.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is correct. The Launch Edition was sold out within the first week of the Configurator being open.
"sold out" is a construct of Rivian here. They've managed to make new LE's available for people who started working for Rivian after the window closed. We also know they've had LE cancellations that they don't want to backfill with. I can't think of a good reason Rivian couldn't reopen LE for 2018/2019 preorder holders pretty easily, other than trying to avoid incurring losses on wheels and potential paint revenue.

Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
I am concerned about overall production numbers. The delivery windows indicate that Rivian will only be able to produce 70,000 vehicles over the next 2 years. Relatively slow ramp.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

"sold out" is a construct of Rivian here. They've managed to make new LE's available for people who started working for Rivian after the window closed. We also know they've had LE cancellations that they don't want to backfill with. I can't think of a good reason Rivian couldn't reopen LE for 2018/2019 preorder holders pretty easily, other than trying to avoid incurring losses on wheels and potential paint revenue.
Those are potential reasons, but Rivian was also promising a certain L.E. exclusivity, and that may be driving their decision to not open it up to others. Regarding their employees being able to order L.E.s, I think that makes sense. Im not certain, but employees may have been encouraged to allow non-emoyees the first shot at them, especially knowing some L.E. reservation holders would not convert to a sale.

We may never know, but they did open the Configurator with an admonition that when the L.E.s are gone, they're gone. As they said from the front of the stagecoach in the old westerns, "Shoot, or give up the shotgun!" ?

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Those are potential reasons, but Rivian was also promising a certain L.E. exclusivity, and that may be driving their decision to not open it up to others. Regarding their employees being able to order L.E.s, I think that makes sense. Im not certain, but employees may have been encouraged to allow non-emoyees the first shot at them, especially knowing some L.E. reservation holders would not convert to a sale.

We may never know, but they did open the Configurator with an admonition that when the L.E.s are gone, they're gone. As they said from the front of the stagecoach in the old westerns, "Shoot, or give up the shotgun!" ?
Wish they would let us fill in if any LE reservations went unpurchased. IMHO will be 20-30% loss rate when comes time to pay up. I asked CS today and they said that it was not a possibility to move to an LE even if they have a number of reservation cancelations

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wish they would let us fill in if any LE reservations went unpurchased. IMHO will be 20-30% loss rate when comes time to pay up. I asked CS today and they said that it was not a possibility to move to an LE even if they have a number of reservation cancelations
I don't necessarily disagree, but again, I suspect they plan to make good on that exclusivity. I also get that they likely don't want to allow reservations to move to from a full price to one that has built-in discounts and giveaways that were put in place as an incentive to configure early.

Just my best guess.

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Again, I suspect they plan to make good on that exclusivity. I also get that they likely don't want to allow reservations to move to from a full price to one that has built-in discounts and giveaways that were put in place as an incentive to configure early.

Just my best guess.
Seems reasonable. Was just hoping to correct my mistake. Apr 2019 reservation. Am a tesla owner and feel like you should always get the most range available so went for the Max pack instead of the LE
Sponsored