• Total voters

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
Does/will the price of crude oil and gasoline affect anyone's decision to buy a Rivian or EV for that matter?

Gas is $1.65 in Texas, $1.30 in OK and near or under $2.00 in most area of the country....

Just curious how many people with pre-orders will be sticking with their order, regardless of gas prices. Please take poll.

(I bring this topic up because while 2 countries engage in an oil price war to destroy the US shale market in the short term, their longer play appears to keeping the EV industry muted and from taking over marketshare... (even at the short term expense of their own economies....).. Tesla stock is well, down... Rivian orders will surely suffer if gas prices stay low... and the major automobile manufacturers will all abandon or put on indefinite pause their EV lineup plans... gas guzzlig SUV sales will again rein supreme for another generation once the economy starts back up...
Sponsored

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
This is just a temporary drop. I chose Rivian for Rivian.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's not so much the environment, but the driving dynamics of an EV far surpass anything with an ICE to make me want to go back.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It was environment for me, but I've also kept my last car for 20 years and didn't want to be tied to gas that far out for the next one, because who knows where gas will be in 2040? I think the only thing that might be a bummer is seeing batteries get massive improvement over that time and potentially not having a cost-viable option for upgrading.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
None of the above.
Gas prices will not affect my decision to continue driving EVs, but the environmental aspect is just the icing. The cake is the myriad other benefits.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Looks like most here are in the same camp as me. It's the other benefits of an EV, in a vehicle I really want to own; environmental friendliness is an added bonus.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I agree with others that want the Rivian for the Rivian. Performance of a Ferrari and the ability go off road are my motivators. The other benefits are less maintenance, less expensive to operate, and oh yes, good for the environment.

Doublemfarms

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250,GMC Yukon XL Denali
I’m less likely to purchase a Rivian the lower oil goes because it’s demolishing the economy and therefore my ability to write checks for expensive toys.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Once anyone with a drop of techie blood in him drives a BEV he isn't going back to ICE whatever the price of gas. If that happens to normal people too then ICE cars are history. So my question is as to whether BEVs will penetrate the non techie market too. My wife can drive the car for sure but there is no way she would be able to find the nearest super charger or plan a trip or turn on the bio hazard filter.

Given the current level of market penetration and the fraction of fossil fuels used by the private automobile part of the transportation sector my decision to purchase a BEV or no is immaterial to the future of the planet. Someone who has never looked at the numbers may feel differently about this. So you are missing the choice "Don't care about gas price or the environment - sticking to my order."
Sponsored