First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Chevy Tahoe
Occupation
Technology
I tried installing my crossbars today on our R1S for the first time. Everything was going fine. The front most crossbar went on just fine. The furthest rear anchor point on the driver side just wouldn’t give me me the full latch needed and so the lock cover wouldn’t come down all the way to lock into place.

I used a lot of force to try to get it seated but still no luck. Considering I was able to do the other three points just fine, I don’t think it’s my method. I wondered if it was just that side of the cross bar So I removed it and flipped it around. Still on the driver side I had the problem but the previous end locked just fine into the passenger side.

maybe the tolerances are just slightly off on the roof latch point? Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
That’s interesting No issues with mine. They went on quick.

Rivian R1T R1S Cross bar issue - won’t latch on one roof anchor IMG_7674

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I tried installing my crossbars today on our R1S for the first time. Everything was going fine. The front most crossbar went on just fine. The furthest rear anchor point on the driver side just wouldn’t give me me the full latch needed and so the lock cover wouldn’t come down all the way to lock into place.

I used a lot of force to try to get it seated but still no luck. Considering I was able to do the other three points just fine, I don’t think it’s my method. I wondered if it was just that side of the cross bar So I removed it and flipped it around. Still on the driver side I had the problem but the previous end locked just fine into the passenger side.

maybe the tolerances are just slightly off on the roof latch point? Anyone else experience this?
They are adjustable, I had to adjust mine. If you take the rubber piece off you will see a screw to turn to adjust the latch point. I think there is a thread on this forum with more detail.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

They are adjustable, I had to adjust mine. If you take the rubber piece off you will see a screw to turn to adjust the latch point. I think there is a thread on this forum with more detail.
Adjust the cross bar or the latch point on the truck side? One of my bars was noticeably more difficult to latch than the other.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Adjust the cross bar or the latch point on the truck side? One of my bars was noticeably more difficult to latch than the other.
The bottom of the crossbar. The piece comes off on the bottom of the leg, you can use an Allen wrench to adjust the lock point. The first one took awhile as I kept putting the bottom back on to test but once I got a feel the other two legs went quick. Only one of the legs on my set actually double locked, the other three I had to adjust.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Red Beard

Red Beard

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Chevy Tahoe
Occupation
Technology
@SANZC02 Thanks for the tip on the crossbars adjustable mechanism. I didn’t know that was possible. Unfortunately, it still didn’t help in this case. Before and after any of my adjustments I could get the clicks but final step where the cover over lock comes down and clicks into place just won’t close completely.
Since all the crossbar ends I’ve tried on this anchor point have the same issue but work as expected on other anchors points I’m still baffled. I can’t visually see any difference in the anchor points so if I’m right it must be very small.

I think I might have to set up a service appt which seems like overkill and will be embarrassing they fix it in 2 minutes but it’s seems like I’ve tried all the possibilities in to rule out it being the crossbar’s fault or my ineptitude in the normal installation since I can do it properly on the other anchor points. I want it to be my fault instead of some bigger issue though!

ccostanz

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Orthodontist
I’m currently having the same issue that you were having. Did you figure out a fox yet? Thanks!

OP
OP
Red Beard

Red Beard

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Chevy Tahoe
Occupation
Technology
What worked for me was to tip up one end of the crossbar into the air at about a 30 angle while latching the other end into the troubled anchor point. Then mine locked. After that it was just bringing the other end back down and latching/locking it like normal.

I will add the I did play with adjusting the end latch of the crossbar with a hex wrench like others commented but with all my attempts I feel like it was basically back to how it was set originally when I had success. I just used my crossbars for the first time today on a 250 mile drive with a rooftop box and it was solid.

ccostanz

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Orthodontist
Thanks! I’ll try that and I’ll try the hex adjusting as well.

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
Thank you for the tip about removing the bottom of the foot and adjusting it with the hex wrench. I never would’ve figured it out had a not seen this thread. But even so, it was a nightmare trying to figure out the exact tension adjustment. Eventually I did it. Thank you to everyone who suggested that.
Sponsored