Sponsored

Crash test (using Rivian R1T) shows electric vehicles may overpower safety barriers

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems like much ado about nothing. The guardrail appears to do its job, traffic barriers are designed to deflect and scrub speed, very much like a crumple zone in a vehicle they are not designed to completely stop a vehicle on impact.
Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Seems like much ado about nothing. The guardrail appears to do its job, traffic barriers are designed to deflect and scrub speed, very much like a crumple zone in a vehicle they are not designed to completely stop a vehicle on impact.
Guardrails are intended to keep vehicles on the road. That's their job. Going through or over a guardrail is a failure.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wait, how did they drive it for this test… wasn’t being towed by a cable… and I doubt they would use a human driver, at least I wouldn’t do it.

I want to know what kind of remote control setup they have to accelerate to a set mph and steer accurately.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wait, how did they drive it for this test… wasn’t being towed by a cable… and I doubt they would use a human driver, at least I wouldn’t do it.

I want to know what kind of remote control setup they have to accelerate to a set mph and steer accurately.
nevermind upon closer inspection there appears to be some kind of shuttle attached to the front wheel.

I was hoping for a 7000 lb 1:1 scale remote control car.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
nevermind upon closer inspection there appears to be some kind of shuttle attached to the front wheel.

I was hoping for a 7000 lb 1:1 scale remote control car.
That's how they would have done it on Myth Busters!

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Guardrails are intended to keep vehicles on the road. That's their job. Going through or over a guardrail is a failure.
They actually have more criteria than that when designing and installing gaurd rails…

Excerpt from article…

”The guardrail can operate to deflect a vehicle back to the roadway, slow the vehicle down to a complete stop, or, in certain circumstances, slow the vehicle down and then let it proceed past the guardrail.”

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
They actually have more criteria than that when designing and installing gaurd rails…

Excerpt from article…

”The guardrail can operate to deflect a vehicle back to the roadway, slow the vehicle down to a complete stop, or, in certain circumstances, slow the vehicle down and then let it proceed past the guardrail.”
Yet the preferred result is to prevent the vehicle from going off the road. Yes, engineers know that they aren't going to design a guardrail system that is 100% foolproof all of the time, that much should be obvious. But the intention is to prevent vehicles from leaving the road way. That's why you always see guardrails on mountain roads where the drop-off is severe.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is a good point. Years ago, Pennsylvania officially changed their terminology to "Guide Rail". Guard Rails are extinct in Pennsylvania.😄

Rivian R1T R1S Crash test (using Rivian R1T) shows electric vehicles may overpower safety barriers 1706842098340

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Better article about the testing. Funny to me they tested due to the heavy weight but still stripped it down for testing. At least knowing it was funded by the Army in part for defense research explains why they had all the concrete barriers behind the metal guide rail.
Still seems like a pointless wasteful exercise though... Big thing hits thing designed for smaller thing in more destructive way. Can't really call the results surprising can they?

https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/toda...s-weigh-highway-safety-and-electric-vehicles/

Rivian R1T R1S Crash test (using Rivian R1T) shows electric vehicles may overpower safety barriers 20240131-evcrashtest-03

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

In fairness, neither of those barrier types is meant to stop a vehicle traveling at near 90-degrees direction of travel. They’re meant to stop vehicles going *parallel* to them that swerve/veer into them.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs