Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 450h +, Tesla model Y
Occupation
Owner of law firm
Clubs

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here. So not only am I a bad writer, im a noob threader…. .lol.
I have been holding off on getting my reservation filled for my R1T.
Rivian has contacted me that my configuration is ready to fill but i have been very very apprehensive with doing so.
I read a few articles about fixing dents and scratches that are very expensive for the R1T.
First and for most it’s a truck and I tend not to baby it…… like a car.
So I was wondering if im overreacting or not about the very expensive minor costs?
Thank you.
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here. So not only am I a bad writer, im a noob threader…. .lol.
I have been holding off on getting my reservation filled for my R1T.
Rivian has contacted me that my configuration is ready to fill but i have been very very apprehensive with doing so.
I read a few articles about fixing dents and scratches that are very expensive for the R1T.
First and for most it’s a truck and I tend not to baby it…… like a car.
So I was wondering if im overreacting or not about the very expensive minor costs?
Thank you.
Out of warranty costs will likely be quite high for big ticket items like suspension system etc. You don’t have much to worry about within warranty though.

Dents and scratches are fixed like any other vehicle. Don’t see why it would be more for Rivian. Though, the aluminum body panels are more sensitive to dents so don’t park too close to other cars in parking lots I guess.

Reactions: Rad

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Body work for ALL vehicles is off the charts expensive right now. Is a Rivian as tough as a heavy duty truck? No way. But that isn’t what it was designed to be. I come from the camp of using it for whatever I need to use it for and if it gets a few dings along the way I’m not thrilled about it, but it’s a part of life.

PDR is the route I would go for minor stuff anyway.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Out of warranty costs will likely be quite high for big ticket items like suspension system etc. You don’t have much to worry about within warranty though.

Dents and scratches are fixed like any other vehicle. Don’t see why it would be more for Rivian. Though, the aluminum body panels are more sensitive to dents so don’t park too close to other cars in parking lots I guess.
Hopefully not too high or they will kill the resale value of these things which then kills the trade in value which hurts new sales.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think this fear of super high costs comes from people who aren't buying cars that are priced as high as Rivian to start with. I usually shop in this segment and all the cars are expensive to fix.

OP
OP

Squirrel614

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner of law firm
Clubs

Thanks all, so do you think i should get mine? I currently drive a newer SUV that has both. Gas and plugin electric. I love it but it doesn’t have a utility of a Truck
(haul plywood, plaster board etc). I want a truck but, yes im over thinking it and yes im scared of the costs associated with minor dents etc. Im not sorry about me but my wife will drive this and she is accident prone…. Lol

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Hopefully not too high or they will kill the resale value of these things which then kills the trade in value which hurts new sales.
I was in Normal a week ago for the new toneau cover (excellent btw) and they said to trade your Rivian with them. Most of the the employees are clamoring for them in any condition.
I have 37,000 on my truck with a couple of very small dents. They certainly dont interfere with my enjoyment of the vehicle.

OP
OP

Squirrel614

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner of law firm
Clubs

I was in Normal a week ago for the new toneau cover (excellent btw) and they said to trade your Rivian with them. Most of the the employees are clamoring for them in any condition.
I have 37,000 on my truck with a couple of very small dents. They certainly dont interfere with my enjoyment of the vehicle.

Thanks so much Kent, I really want one bad but im just scared.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That's why we have insurance and warranties! Just get it and enjoy it!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Don’t see why it would be more for Rivian. Though, the aluminum body panels are more sensitive to dents so don’t park too close to other cars in parking lots I guess.
Repair costs can be higher because the the whole side of the R1T in particular is one very long piece of metal vs. a standard pickup truck which has a distinct bed and a distinct cab.
If the bed portion of the R1T is damaged.. literally the whole side of the vehicle needs to be removed and replaced where on a standard pickup just the bed side panel can be replaced. A huge difference in parts and labor time on the same repair between the two vehicles.

And yes, your right concerning the soft aluminum/steel alloy used in the vehicle side skins.. it dents from someone just thinking about it.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Thanks so much Kent, I really want one bad but im just scared.
I wouldn't get one if you live in the north end of the Midwestern states at this time. Range anxiety is real but diminishes over time.
I have saved 400 dollars per month not buying gas.
My Rivian home charger wired direct to a 60 amp breaker works well at 25 miles per hour.
Service has been great. People have been great and the truck is an absolute dream to drive.
It has been one of the more satisfying purchases of my 76 years.
Do what you can to get the 7500 in tax rebate. That is real money saved.
Sponsored