Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

He never missed a Starbucks...

But for a freaking refresher because he doesnt do coffee which is I guess is valid if you are going to a starbucks LOL.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

He actually did need help finding one in Utah driving the mach e to CA if I remember right. ?
That's easy! They're both within five miles of downtown SLC. Of course, decaf only.... ?

I remember driving all day, New Year's Day of '86, on icy, snowpacked roads, in my move to Idaho from L.A., via Telluride. I had been slipping and sliding for at least ten hours on my wonderful L.A. Winter tires, commonly known as "Slicks", in my VW Sirocco. I stopped in a crowded casual dining place (Bob's Big Boy?) at the dinner hour and stepped up to the counter. When asked what I wanted, I said simply "Just a big cup of black coffee". I got this blank stare as the near-by tables went silent.

I got a very polite response that "I'm sorry, but we donā€™t serve coffee here." Silly me. I took in that statement, processed it fully, and wistfully asked something like "Why not?". The waitress very politely said, "Well.... you're in Provo..... Utah". Tired from driving on snow and ice all day, after six days and nights in Un-Provo-like Telluride, I still didn't get it, and then the light came on. "DUH!", I thought.

"Oh, thank you! I'll see myself out". Halfway out the door, a nervous-looking patron followed me, and, after looking around to make sure nobody overheard the conversation, said "There's a truckstop on your way to Salt Lake City that has pretty good cof... um, I hear they have pretty good coffee". I was so thankful that he took pity on me. That late in the day, the coffee was bitter and luke warm, but it got me to Idaho to start a new chapter in this Adventure called life.

I've enjoyed every chapter since and I'm really looking forward to next one that the wonderful folks at Rivian are helping to craft. I know the coffee will be much better along the way. ? ā˜•

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That's easy! They're both within five miles of downtown SLC. Of course, decaf only.... ?

I remember driving all day, New Year's Day of '86, on icy, snowpacked roads, in my move to Idaho from L.A., via Telluride. I had been slipping and sliding for at least ten hours on my wonderful L.A. Winter tires, commonly known as "Slicks", in my VW Sirocco. I stopped in a crowded casual dining place (Bob's Big Boy?) at the dinner hour and stepped up to the counter. When asked what I wanted, I said simply "Just a big cup of black coffee". I got this blank stare as the near-by tables went silent.

I got a very polite response that "I'm sorry, but we donā€™t serve coffee here." Silly me. I took in that statement, processed it fully, and wistfully asked something like "Why not?". The waitress very politely said, "Well.... you're in Provo..... Utah". Tired from driving on snow and ice all day, after six days and nights in Un-Provo-like Telluride, I still didn't get it, and then the light came on. "DUH!", I thought.

"Oh, thank you! I'll see myself out". Halfway out the door, a nervous-looking patron followed me, and, after looking around to make sure nobody overheard the conversation, said "There's a truckstop on your way to Salt Lake City that has pretty good cof... um, I hear they have pretty good coffee". I was so thankful that he took pity on me. That late in the day, the coffee was bitter and luke warm, but it got me to Idaho to start a new chapter in this Adventure called life.

I've enjoyed every chapter since and I'm really looking forward to next one that the wonderful folks at Rivian are helping to craft. I know the coffee will be much better along the way. ? ā˜•
That reminds me of a fun stat. The top 5 lotto sales locations in Idaho either are, or at least used to be on the border of Utah. Something like 20% of Idaho lotto tickets used to be purchased by Utah residents.

And a joke about how many Mormon friends to bring fishing so you don't get to share your beer. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

ā˜•
That reminds me of a fun stat. The top 5 lotto sales locations in Idaho either are, or at least used to be on the border of Utah. Something like 20% of Idaho lotto tickets used to be purchased by Utah residents.

And a joke about how many Mormon friends to bring fishing so you don't get to share your beer. ?
I know that joke well and remember the busiest lotto sales and liquor sales were both along that quiet, unpopulated border. At least that was the case until Utah started liberalizing things a little with the Winter Olympics.

Those Idaho liquor stores apparently caused a mysterious form of temporary amnesia. ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I over to UT because of polygamy. I figured that if most guys have multiple wives, then I donā€™t need one! Iā€™m just a giver like that. ?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I remember when a Mormon cousin came to visti for thanksgiving. For his benefit the wine was served in a pitcher so, of course, smarrtass kid that I was (I haven't changed much) I had to ask "Why is the wine in that pitcher?". Some adult hissed through clenched teeth "It's cranberry juice".

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I remember when a Mormon cousin came to visti for thanksgiving. For his benefit the wine was served in a pitcher so, of course, smarrtass kid that I was (I haven't changed much) I had to ask "Why is the wine in that pitcher?". Some adult hissed through clenched teeth "It's cranberry juice".
I was invited to a cookout last night. Anywhere but here, Iā€™d just assume BYOB, but here itā€™s always a crap shoot as to whether alcohol is appropriate. So I discretely take a bottle of wine in a cooler. When I get there, I notice that no one has an obvious alcoholic beverage in their hand, but everyone has some sort of mug they are drinking out of. I notice them discretely refilling from their coolers, so I do likewise. Reminds me of the joke people would use when I lived in the south - How do you tell the difference between and Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodist will say hello to you when you see them in the liquor store. ?

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I was invited to a cookout last night. Anywhere but here, Iā€™d just assume BYOB, but here itā€™s always a crap shoot as to whether alcohol is appropriate. So I discretely take a bottle of wine in a cooler. When I get there, I notice that no one has an obvious alcoholic beverage in their hand, but everyone has some sort of mug they are drinking out of. I notice them discretely refilling from their coolers, so I do likewise. Reminds me of the joke people would use when I lived in the south - How do you tell the difference between and Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodist will say hello to you when you see them in the liquor store. ?
Reminds of the family parties we went to and my 3 yr old had a meltdown because I would not open a cold beer for him! Lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: