Construction in progress on RAN - Inyokern, CA

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Over at TMC, a new Supercharger site was being discussed when one of the members pointed out that in the same lot, there is a Rivian RAN location being built. A permit pull verified this.

Address: 6525 Inyokern Rd.
Stalls: 10 in a row, plus what appears to be a standalone (maybe a towing pull-through?)

Note: Photos courtesy of @danrjones over at TMC, not my photos.
Rivian R1T R1S Construction in progress on RAN - Inyokern, CA Inyokern_Rivian
Rivian R1T R1S Construction in progress on RAN - Inyokern, CA 20210821_070652
Rivian R1T R1S Construction in progress on RAN - Inyokern, CA 20210821_070745
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Wonder if they're coordinating at least on some new sites to share backbone costs. That's awesome though.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wonder if they're coordinating at least on some new sites to share backbone costs. That's awesome though.
Seems unlikely, considering things like Tesla suing rivian for hiring people from Tesla.

There are probably just a very limited number of locations in a town like that to put a bunch of DC charging.

OP
OP
ohmman

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Seems unlikely, considering things like Tesla suing rivian for hiring people from Tesla.

There are probably just a very limited number of locations in a town like that to put a bunch of DC charging.
Between the real estate and the electrical infrastructure, I think you're right. I've been following Tesla's Supercharger buildout for many years and it's a challenge to ensure there is enough electrical capacity in any given location, that the property owner is amenable to the installation of chargers, that safety isn't a big issue, and that it's close to highways or common routes. There are a lot of factors, so it won't surprise me if Rivian locations are quite close to existing Supercharger locations.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I had the same thought. Maybe I misunderstood but it just seems like too much of a coincidence if they're both installing equipment in the same parking lot at the same time.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I had the same thought. Maybe I misunderstood but it just seems like too much of a coincidence if they're both installing equipment in the same parking lot at the same time.
If I’m the owner of that lot, I’m remting space to whichever charging outfit wants in. It’s clearly the prime spot in town. Especially if I also own the gas station.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If I’m the owner of that lot, I’m remting space to whichever charging outfit wants in. It’s clearly the prime spot in town. Especially if I also own the gas station.
Good point. I hadn't thought about the property nowhere reaching out to the different networks.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Good point. I hadn't thought about the property nowhere reaching out to the different networks.
Most of the networks have a basic “contact us” form that includes an option for property owners who want to propose a charger location. It’s pretty easy for them to initiate the contact.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Most of the networks have a basic “contact us” form that includes an option for property owners who want to propose a charger location. It’s pretty easy for them to initiate the contact.
Yeah I know, it just didn't pop in my mind when I was thinking about this. Silly oversight on my part.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Looks like McDonald's is trying to take advantage of the supernetwork ?

https://www.teslarati.com/mcdonalds-piggybacks-tesla-firebaugh-supercharger/

SmartSelect_20210822-054216_Chrome.jpg
Ha! Go Mickey Ds...

RJ mentioned access to food and experiences are factors in their determining charger locations. It's clearly wise forethought. I haven't made a cross country EV trip so I find the Out of Spec EV trips informative. I find it amusing how they will calculate charger stops with German precision based on multiple trip calculators, charge curves, headwind apps, etc. then see them pull into a charging station, hook up, then look around to see there's no restaurants within walking distance...and they're hungry.:CWL: Kinda missed something there didn't ya, lads?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Ha! Go Mickey Ds...

RJ mentioned access to food and experiences are factors in their determining charger locations. It's clearly wise forethought. I haven't made a cross country EV trip so I find the Out of Spec EV trips informative. I find it amusing how they will calculate charger stops with German precision based on multiple trip calculators, charge curves, headwind apps, etc. then see them pull into a charging station, hook up, then look around to see there's no restaurants within walking distance...and they're hungry.:CWL: Kinda missed something there didn't ya, lads?
The Rivians will put them beside Whole Foods, who'll hang out a sign: "Tell Alexa the recipe you want, and we'll source the ingredients and deliver them straight to your camp kitchen while you charge. Professional chef available for anyone named 'thrill' who needs to stay away from kitchen toys."

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ha! Go Mickey Ds...

Kyle is also good at missing his turn and forgetting what town he’s in. ?

still my favorite car Reviewer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
He never missed a Starbucks...
He actually did need help finding one in Utah driving the mach e to CA if I remember right. ?
Sponsored