First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
I am on a long road trip from PHX to Blaine WA. Great RAN charging for much of the way. Kingman Az, Barstow CA, Buttonwillow CA, Santa Nella CA.
I stopped in Davis CA to visit family. Surprisingly, although Davis is a very envoronmentally conscious city, it is a void for EV charging. Lots of level 2 destination chargers, a Tesla supercharger that is not open to Rivian, 4 EA's of which only 3 work, 2 EvGo's one functional. So needing something a bit faster than what my hotel trickle charger could give me, I ventured 9 miles to Woodland to a Tesla Supercharger that was open to Rivians. It is an 8 station location across the street from a Costco. I went on a Saturday. When I got there there were 3 stations open. The layout required that I block 2 to use one. This is going to cause a lot of problems as the adapters reach the market. BTW, I bought an A2Z just for this trip and it has functioned flawlessly the 3 times I used.

Back to the Supercharger. After I plugged in there was only one station left. A Tesla pulled up next to me and I apologized and explained that the layout required me to use the cable from his charger. He said no problem and moved to the vacant station. Next guy pulls in a few minutes later. I apologize, tell him I will only be 10-15 more minutes and he says no problem and pulls out to wait for the next station. Right away a Model S with lots of flashy trim add ons pulls in. I apologize and explain the situation to the young man in the muscle shirt with his girl friend beside him. He immediately goes into a testosterone fueled rant about me having no right to be there, it's for Teslas, it's worng for me to take two chargers. I say I am sorry, can't be helped and I will be done in 10 minutes. He tells me it can be helped by getting my non Tesla POS out of there. He continues to rant at me and my non Tesla and that I have no right to do this. I politely explain that I do have a right. That Elon sold the right for me to be here charging knowing that it would take 2 stations. I say you need to complain to Elon because he's the one who sold out your exclusive use. He continues on then moves his car in a sulk. A few minutes later my 10 minutes is done and I unhook and leave, although by this time I was considering passive aggressively continue to charge way past 70%! Anyway as I pull away He continues to yell while impressing his GF.

I can certainly see how if these stations are not retrofitted with longer cables or dual side access a situation like this could escalate. A little more testosterone in the Model S and a lot more in the Rivian (I am 77) and it could well have gotten out of hand.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can't wait till the NACS DC extension cord is available hopefully later this Summer.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is going to continue to happen. Telsa does a terrible job with PR/Marketing, except for spending money on Twitter, to try to get people to give Elmo his $55b.

I haven't had an issue yet, but I get lots of odd looks at the Tesla stations I've been to with my a2z.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I’m sorry this happened.

Although it does make me want to start charging at SC locations exclusively with the hopes of pissing off charming people like Mr. Muscles. 🤔

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I have 57 charges at TSC's with my R1T at this point and can happily say I've never encountered anything like this. Most are excited to see new faces/vehicles. I've had a couple that have looks of disapproval, but that could be about anything these days.

Sponsored

240vPlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Rivian R1
Clubs

Its not worth engaging someone who is clearly annoyed/angry. Rather than try to explain best to apologize and tell them you will only be there for 10 minutes. Even though your 100% right...further discussion and trying to prove a point could escalate a situation.

Agree Tesla needs to retrofit chargers open to NACS with longer cables ASAP or provide an extension.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

You are a patient, understanding, and considerate individual. Glad you got your charge. Safe and enjoyable travels!

You can show the Tesla zealots the screen below form the Tesla app:

Rivian R1T R1S Conflict at the Supercharger IMG_2103

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Two types of Tesla owners: The first are the ones that bought it before Elon really jumped the shark and are subsequently kind, polite and generally fine humans, and the second are the ones embracing the shark jumping.

Which one was he, we’ll never know 😂

(Just because they embrace their overlord doesn’t make them too bright - otherwise he’d direct his anger to the idiot up top)

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

He immediately goes into a testosterone fueled rant about me having no right to be there, it's for Teslas, it's worng for me to take two chargers. I say I am sorry, can't be helped and I will be done in 10 minutes. He tells me it can be helped by getting my non Tesla POS out of there. He continues to rant at me and my non Tesla and that I have no right to do this. I politely explain that I do have a right.
This would have been the ideal time to explain the difference between a "right" and a "privilege." In truth, neither of you have a "right" to be there or to use that charger, however you have both been afforded that privilege by Tesla.

Unfortunately too many people these days have little-to-no understanding of the difference between a right and a privilege, and that 10 minutes of charging would have been the ideal time to explain it to him.

Tanuki68

First Name
WS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Tesla Y, 1991 Miata, Cake Kalk &
Occupation
Retired 6/2024
I’ve had a Tesla since 2015 and friction at super chargers is nothing new. Hopefully this simmers down or gets resolved like previous flair up points.
1. People parking next to you(when other stalls are open) and reducing your charge rate when they plug in V1 superchargers. The chargers then shared the load.
2. People plugging in and then going in to the gym, restaurant, theater (this led to idle fees)
3. Douche bags blocking chargers (see photo from Oxnard where the guy got towed). His wife was standing there flipping the bird and cussing at all of us while we watched And laughed.
Rivian R1T R1S Conflict at the Supercharger 1716133428485-1

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’ve had a Tesla since 2015 and friction at super chargers is nothing new. Hopefully this simmers down or gets resolved like previous flair up points.
1. People parking next to you(when other stalls are open) and reducing your charge rate when they plug in V1 superchargers. The chargers then shared the load.
2. People plugging in and then going in to the gym, restaurant, theater (this led to idle fees)
3. Douche bags blocking chargers (see photo from Oxnard where the guy got towed). His wife was standing there flipping the bird and cussing at all of us while we watched And laughed.
1716133428485-1j.jpg
What a waste of the oxygen we share.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

This is precisely why I don’t like being around other people. 😒

You handled it well though. And it went about as well as you could expect it to go without getting too escalated.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Damn.....now I'm worried.....too bad EA (from everything I've read and seen on YouTube) sucks.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Damn.....now I'm worried.....too bad EA (from everything I've read and seen on YouTube) sucks.
I’ve only had issues with EA once, and that’s after dozens of visits at various locations in CA and NV. YMMV though.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
There is zero need to worry. Any given situation there's always a chance you'll run into the small minority of morons. Know your rights, avoid escalation. If unavoidable, important to know your rights.
Sponsored