Sponsored

Comparing the ride quality of the R1T vs. R1S

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Yesterday a I ran my R1S in sport mode, possibly the lowest setting but I don't recall what it chose. Coming out hard on a tight, banked corner I opened up the throttle. The front end felt like it was going to lift the front wheels and it became go cart twitchy. The suspension was very hard and bouncy causing the front end to crash over any imperfections. On the freeway it would pitch and bounce pretty bad. I suspect at high speed it would lose control. Maximum cornering power and control is probably achieved at a taller suspension setting where the body won't get pitched around. Handling feel was very direct and communicative. It manages to hide its 7000lb bulk pretty well. The 22s are very tight and firm which communicates to the driver. There is no vagueness in the handling. There's no mushy Chevy steering or brakes for sure. The caster angle feels appropriate and stable. The king pin angle and overall geometry seems to keep the camber perfect in the corners and that low center of gravity and low roll center handles like a sports car. I haven't done any threshold stops but the brakes feel solid. Eventually I'd have to test compare them to the BMW. BMW and Porsche would be the measurement bar for street brakes.

It feels lighter and more nimble than our gx470. The GX has 33" AT tires and a lift along with a soft suspension and 140k of wear both towing and hard 4wheeling. It is predictable in turns but low cornering power and a high center of gravity. The R1S will walk away from it on any pavement scenario up to 112mph. Despite the GX driving like a leather couch on the road the R1 has a much better suspension to soak up bumps. This however when the R1 also has the AT 20s. With the 22s, the ride is firmer like a sports car. Tires make an enormous difference in ride. I'm not sure of the GX's max speed. It's gone to 100 but it's just not an appropriate vehicle for that. It's a measurement bar in an off road test. That will be interesting. Without body armor, the R1 will be limited on where I take it for sure. It's so pretty (and expensive, lol) Again tires make a difference here so I'd take that into consideration and airing down is a huge factor in off road traction.

It's going to out accelerate my 4.5s 0-60 Audi and the handling is competent enough not to fall behind in the turns because of that. The big Audi is the same overall length/width as the R1S but obviously much lower and lighter. On the open highway the Audi doesn't begin to wake up until after 80mph and it feels rock solid at speeds up to 150. The R1 can't be tested for high speed stability.

The little BMW we have still has the best handling of them all. Small and light is hard to beat with BMWs suspension tuning. I used to have an Rx7 which was also a super fun handling car. The lowest hp of the bunch but still will eventually catch the Rivian as they can exceed 112mph. The old BMW is a convertible so it's a loud noisy machine with wind coming in everywhere and more rattles than the rest. I'm hard pressed to hear other cars around me in the R1 and have to look more. Hey about a drag race against the BMW while towing a BMW?

I had a Lexus IS350 which is also a compact sports car. The R1 handles so much better than that. The IS understeered horribly and was scary in high speed turns. I was never sure what that suspension was going to do.

The R1 does lots of things really well. I'm impressed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Agraber22

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Occupation
software
Let's be careful with what some may take away from this thread. Yes, the longer wheelbase of the T improves stability vs the S but that's to be expected. However, that absolutely does not suggest that the ride of the S is by any means poor - it's just not the same as the T. It's fine to express a preference for one over the other (I prefer the S for my own reasons) but people reading this feedback shouldn't interpret that as meaning the S is to be avoided.
I agree, I have a R1S and thoroughly enjoy driving it daily in city and on highways. Switching between modes gives the driver what they want whether its R1T vs R1S.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So… how’s your OC interior holding up? ;)

That reminds me, I need to clean and protect the seats with some ceramic coating. Haven't got around to doing it yet. Might be a good time to get that done before I throw some 22" sport wheels on it.

For now I just use interior detailer to clean the seats and keep them looking fresh.

Sponsored

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
I had thought from the beginning of the R1S they should have offered a full wheelbase (ala Suburban) version. They could also offer the shorter wheelbase (ala Tahoe) and let the consumers decide which they prefer. It's not too late and I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a long wheelbase S sometime. It would offer a lot more room inside.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What year is your 325ci?
2006. They carried over the e46 convertible into 2006 because there was no such thing as an e90 convertible at the time.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had thought from the beginning of the R1S they should have offered a full wheelbase (ala Suburban) version. They could also offer the shorter wheelbase (ala Tahoe) and let the consumers decide which they prefer. It's not too late and I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a long wheelbase S sometime. It would offer a lot more room inside.
The R1S is the size of the Landcruiser/LX. Though shorter than the Tahoe, it's wider and the same wheelbase. 10" longer than a 4runner or gx. It doesn't feel like the enormous EVs like the f150, Silverado, Hummer have found their market. The efficiency just isn't there yet. Better to go smaller for that market share I think.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

2006. They carried over the e46 convertible into 2006 because there was no such thing as an e90 convertible at the time.
Ahh, right. I have an ‘06 330i, which is an e90. I really like that car, and agree with all your comments regarding its handling. Thankfully mine doesn’t have wind noise or rattles despite its age (and hard driving).

In comparison, the R1 acceleration is otherworldly to me, especially given its mass and size. The tech and comfort for long trips is also much better.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That reminds me, I need to clean and protect the seats with some ceramic coating. Haven't got around to doing it yet. Might be a good time to get that done before I throw some 22" sport wheels on it.
Depends.

On a serious note-pls share thoughts on the coating you go with. I'm trying to find a weekend with some time so I can do that. Cheers.

Sponsored

rivianbuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 RANGE ROVER SUPERCHARGED
Occupation
DRINK MAKER

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
comes up as a banned site. Could you send me the domain name? I'll piece the link
Just Google r1s-road-handling-issues.4815/, comes right up.

strapp1000

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2021 Ford Explorer King Ranch, 2006 Toyo
Occupation
IT
I have had my R1S since July 2023 and put 5k on it (city and highway). The ride quality has been disappointing from day one; it has improved with the OTA updates, just not enough. I have driven the R1T(loaner) a few times over the exact same Chicago roads and always came away thinking it was noticeably smoother and more composed. I am trading for a 2023 R1T next week, I couldn't continue to try and fool myself to thinking I was happy with the vehicle dynamics.
Sponsored