Coast Mode/Regen Brakes Make Me Car Sick

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Try snow mode for a few days. Don’t let the name fool you as it works in any condition and lowers regen considerably and make accelerator a bit softer. Good luck
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You just need more practice with one pedal driving. Once you get the hang of it I think you will find it’s smoother than coasting/ braking in an ICE vehicle.

Has Rivian said they will allow regen to be turned off completely in the future? I don’t see that happening.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Repeat after me - "The accelerator pedal is not an on/off switch". Seriously. Most people get used to driving an ICE by lifting completely off the pedal when decelerating. Don't do that. When you want to slow down, lift pressure off the accelerator slowly, using it to control the deceleration. You could even think of it as an "upwards" brake pedal of sorts. IMO, you actually are in better control of the vehicle using decel regen.

"ICE deceleration syndrome" can be a hard habit to break for some people, but it really is that simple. Done properly, passengers cannot tell the difference.

Fes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
Nope. Throttle pedal modulation is your friend. Once you get the hang of treating it like both accel and decel, you’re golden.

Some people tend to fight it because that’s how their ICE vehicles have worked … it’s not a winning strategy.
100% agree. I was actually excited for the challenge of one pedal driving. Ive been missing my years of driving a manual trans car and feeling like I had more control over the velocity dynamics-- not to say this is the same, but the idea of feathering and sort of controlling the smoothness of the car is enticing to me.

It took me about a week before I really felt comfortable and wasn't embarrassed with someone in the passenger seat. My wife actually took to it immediately-- not sure what that says about her.

For the OP, just stick with it and get more seat time. Get good foot position on the accelerator pedal and maintain consistent pressure on the decel. Allow it to be gradual and linear. Also, we drive with high brake regeneration. I'd really suggest not going to snow mode unless it's a last possible resort. Id maintain the normal mode and keep working at it and give it time. 4 Days really may not be nearly enough time to master it, especially if you are driving in the hills with a lot of curves and switchbacks.

Best of luck to you and stay positive!

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Adjust your seat so that your heel is almost touching the bottom of the accelerator pedal. You butt should be slid all the way back in the seat. Do not try to push the pedal with just your toes. Pivot your foot from the heel and slightly wedge the right side of your foot for added friction when decelerating. This will give you more control allowing for slight movement of the pedal for better control.

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As others have pointed out, attempting to coast on a BEV with regen is plain and simple driver error. In some cases this is due to a lack of understanding of how one-pedal driving works and in some cases it's simply having to overcome decades of ICE driving habits. This is really an issue of reprogramming the driver, not the vehicle.

In a BEV, taking your foot completely off of the accelerator is basically the equivalent of pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor on an ICE vehicle - and this is something you would never do outside of emergency braking. Driving ICE vehicles, you have already mastered the ability to modulate the gas pedal to accelerate smoothly and mastered the ability to modulate the brake pedal to decelerate smoothly. Now, for smooth driving in a BEV, you just have to accept the fact that the same pedal controls both acceleration and deceleration and learn to modulate both the application and removal of pressure on the pedal. Depressing the pedal results in acceleration, releasing the pedal results in deceleration. How far you depress or release the pedal controls the rate of accleration/deceleration.

Stationmaster

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 1951 MG TD MKII
Occupation
retired educator
Adjust your seat so that your heel is almost touching the bottom of the accelerator pedal. You butt should be slid all the way back in the seat. Do not try to push the pedal with just your toes. Pivot your foot from the heel and slightly wedge the right side of your foot for added friction when deceleration. This will give you more control allowing for slight movement of the pedal for better control.
This is the best advice I have ever read on this topic.

Well written!

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is my first EV. I was a bit concerned about the one-peddle driving so I got two very long test drives, thanks to Rivian. It didnt take me long to get used to it. It does require a change in driving habits compared to ice cars; as others have noted. Hank in there mate.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

As others have pointed out, attempting to coast on a BEV with regen is plain and simple driver error. ...

In a BEV, taking your foot completely off of the accelerator is basically the equivalent of pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor on an ICE vehicle
What term should we be using to indicate no accl nor decel inputs where only drag and drivetrain resistance impact the vehicle speed? That's what I consider "coasting".
Seems like half on here call coasting what I would consider "foot off all pedals".

Sponsored

Ric G

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, BMW E30M3, Suzuki SJ410, Mercedes EQB300
Occupation
Self Employed
I've noticed that I do have my driver's seat a bit more forward compared to other cars I've owned. I think that helps to get the right foot at an angle to modulate the throttle pedal smoothly. I'd suggest as others have to leave in high regen and try to get used to not using the brake pedal. Now I can drive the entire commute to work and only use the brake pedal on occasion. (e.g. when another driver does something stupid). We have a Mercedes EQB and it has the flappy paddle "shifters" to adjust regen. It is so much more difficult to drive smoothly vs. the Rivian. Its regen will never stop the car, even in high (which is a - negative on the display) it will continue to roll and never Hold. I've resorted to lowest regen and just drive it like an ICE vehicle :confused:. The Rivian is so much better and predictable, once you get used to it, it's fantastic and so easy to drive smoothly.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Did you ever have a set of [electric] slot cars? That's the best parallel. After some practice, you get good at rounding the corner without flying off the track. Same idea for your R1.

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm guessing that people who have never driven a manual transmission ICE are the ones who have the most problem adapting to the regen braking.
Manual transmission ICE, mopeds, golf cart, some riding mowers, etc... many places to get a taste of one pedal driving without even stepping in an ev. My wife can't drive manual but had no problem picking up regen braking in one session. Just takes time to get the smooth driving part mastered.

Oh and cant wait to see the low speed adjustments in the next update - one pedal parallel parking on a hill is not usually smooth for me.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
My wife describes one-pedal driving as being close to a golf cart (with a lot more power). We actually comment to each other if we have to touch the brake pedal while driving. It's usually because we're going a little too fast and the light changes. We've gone weeks without needing to touch the brakes.

OP
OP

RivianDad2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Audi R8 V8, Toyota Prius
This is all helpful advice. Thank you! I never learned to drive a manual, but I’ve spent some time in doing engine breaking in manual mode going through canyons in my R8, which has a pretty dramatic downshift from fourth to third and third to second.

The advice about sitting closer and having my whole foot on the pedal is helpful, and I’ll definitely try that. I’m used to sitting pretty flat, and I currently have the seat back in a position that allows me to keep my legs relatively straight.

I may try Snow Mode too, as I’m not terribly concerned about maximizing efficiency for local driving, which has been where I’ve had the most problems (lots of stop signs and lights).
Sponsored