RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

when I'm bouncing up against the speed limiter that I'm usually in a fit of rage at someone who's being quite rude on the roads and doesn't realize what a Rivian is
Maybe Rivian foresaw this and decided for safety reasons to save us from ourselves :p
Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Are the 22s noticeably better than the 21s ? I locked in from the shop, so it was originally coming with 22 sports for a $3.5K upgrade. I've asked them to go back to the 'free' 21s. Clearly you thought 22s were worth the upgrade - curious if you still feel the same ? (I'm getting some 20s with snow tiresfor the winter, so the 22s will just be for non-winter). thanks
i have gone through the same upgrade 21 --> 22 and wish i didn't. you get a bit of wheel vibration over 90 and they say it is normal. it was not worth the $4k or so with labor. now i have been trying to sell the 4-21 wheels for months.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Well this whole thread is depressing ! I just locked in my QM on Friday, so waiting for a delivery date. I had no idea we were capped at 110 mph. I regularly drive my Y on I-70 to Leadville, and have certainly gone faster than that up hill. Damn.
Shame on you!

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Add YOLO mode, charge $10,000, use $10,000 to cover warranty claims.
Or even a no-cost "YOYO" (You're On Your Own) mode where you press a button to relieve Rivian of all liability and warranty coverage, in exchange for 40% increase in performance, unlocked battery pack capacity reserve down to 0, plus full access to all service menus and logs.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I’m not clamoring for more power, but if Rivian gave it to me, I won’t refuse haha.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Are the 22s noticeably better than the 21s ? I locked in from the shop, so it was originally coming with 22 sports for a $3.5K upgrade. I've asked them to go back to the 'free' 21s. Clearly you thought 22s were worth the upgrade - curious if you still feel the same ? (I'm getting some 20s with snow tiresfor the winter, so the 22s will just be for non-winter). thanks
I have not driven the 21s, I drove a couple of R1Ts with the 20s and my R1S with the 22s. I’m happy with them, did a long trip last January/February had some snow and rain and felt they handled that weather well. They are great in dry weather.

I know when I got my Tesla years ago I wanted the 21s but stayed with the 19s for the better range, was the only thing I ever went back and fourth over after the purchase on if I made the right decision. I have never thought twice about the 22 decision.

My thing was I wanted to stay under 80k, with the free LG paint I was able to do the dark 22s at 79k, my other configuration I considered was ElCap with the free bright 22s, that was 78k but once I saw the dark 22s on LG my decision was made.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I regularly get to drive at top speed (111/112mph) on the autobahn and it drove pretty smooth. A bit of hood flutter but not worrisome. I drive hard and my R1T is amazing.
The Autobhan is a fun place. One time, I was doing about 155 overtaking another car at a slightly slower speed when a Porsche "flashed" me. The other car slowed down and I got in the right lane. The Porsche disappeared. Must have been close to 200mph. Glad you're enjoying the Rivian there!

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
My thing was I wanted to stay under 80k, with the free LG paint I was able to do the dark 22s at 79k, my other configuration I considered was ElCap with the free bright 22s, that was 78k but once I saw the dark 22s on LG my decision was made.
thanks. And shows how the pricing has changed for us late comers. I need to drop from the 22s to the 21s to stay under $100K ! Admittedly I do have a couple of up-sell items (yellow paint, ocean breeze interior), but the extra $3500 to go from 21s to 22s seemed like something I could save. That's both for answering my question.

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

Maybe Rivian foresaw this and decided for safety reasons to save us from ourselves :p
I love EVs but it absolutely allows people to do stupid things faster. Most people, including myself, have no business being behind a 850hp, 7000 pound rocket sled but it sure is fun!

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

I regularly get to drive at top speed (111/112mph) on the autobahn and it drove pretty smooth. A bit of hood flutter but not worrisome. I drive hard and my R1T is amazing.
I would kill for the German driving culture here in the states. Pass or move over.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

22's are way better on twisties. Stickier rubber.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
i have gone through the same upgrade 21 --> 22 and wish i didn't. you get a bit of wheel vibration over 90 and they say it is normal. it was not worth the $4k or so with labor. now i have been trying to sell the 4-21 wheels for months.
I’ve heard people say they get shake on the 22s, I’ve never had that, not over 90 very often but here in SoCal 80-85 on freeways is not that uncommon and mine are good. I have 11.5 K on them, have rotated twice, at 5500 and 11,250.

I do only rotate front to back and keep tires on the same side. I have found over the years that trying to do some sort of X pattern I would sometimes get a shimmy so just keep them on the same side on my rotations now. Also makes for easier rotation as I just jack up the side and swap them.

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Honestly, bump up the governor to 120 MPH in `sport` mode, then detect when launching (brake + accelerator pedal) to unlock a boost of power at launch. Get a quicker 0-60 time, a quicker quarter mile time, and get under Elon's skin.

Call it Anti-Elon mode. (Kidding on this one)
Sit back and re-tweet Elon and Tesla for the next week or so. (Not kidding).

Unlock this mode for $5,000.

Also, unlock the tank turns for a $2,000 one-time payment and have it geo-locked so it's restricted from being used in parks/trails and fails fast (meaning no GPS signal, no tank turn).

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

In reality all of these numbers are more for bragging than useful. My Model S supposedly has a 4.3 zero to 60 and a 140 top speed. The 4.3 seems pretty quick and I’ve never had it over 110.
Should you ever find yourself on a runway with that Model S, be warned that some brilliant designer added an easter egg that flashes the speed in red when you get within ~10mph of the limit. As if that's a good time to mix shit up for you.
Sponsored