Sponsored

Closing charge port door is a pain -- Am I missing something?

OP
OP
tjmsquared

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
Why are you unplugging it? Just leave it overnight.

Or set it to not lock at home.
I just leave mine plugged in until I need to go somewhere. No need to unplug when charging is complete.
Is there a reason you have to unplug it before you go to bed? You could unlock before you leave for the day and unplug it then. I mean... I left our rivian plugged in the entire time we were on vacation... about 25 days and it was still there when I got home.
Plug in when I get home, unplug when I leave. Charging schedule set to only charge during my off-peak time of use period and I just let it do its thing.
Just leave it plugged in until your next drive.
Unless there's an undisclosed reason you need to unplug it.
I don't like leaving it plugged in because the charger is installed inside the garage but I park the truck outside. I don't like leaving the garage door open all night if I can avoid it. I do it from time-to-time when it needs a long charge, but typically let it charge for two to three hours and then unplug.

If you must do what you are doing, I would just leave it open and it'll close on its own when you leave in the morning and put it in Drive. Although I wouldn't be surprised though if it eventually just closes itself.
I have left the door open upon unplugging and it is always closed in the morning. It will auto close the next time it wakes up.
It never occurred to me to just leave it open. I'll have to try that tonight and see if it closes itself after a while or if it is open in the morning when I come out and it closes when I put it in gear.
Sponsored

carlthelemann

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
tjmsquared

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

Thanks! I knew there was some kind of simple solution to this problem that I was missing. I'll check out the under-door cord protectors.
The gasket on the bottom of the door is thick enough that I just close the garage door and it remains well sealed.

Sponsored

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

With one of the latest software updates, my charge port won't open with the button. So yes it's annoying I can't open it with the app, but not difficult to reach in and open, but I still put in a service ticket because it was an unexpected change.

Details if anyone has similar: I park inside my garage, set to not auto-lock at home, so doors are unlocked, but the button still doesn't open the charge port. I have my charge set to 85% from 9pm to 5am (offpeak); this piece has been working perfect after a software change this summer (the overheating not starting rate limit based on temp update). Most days I come home and plug in, unless I am lazy or think I may be going back out. I use about 15% a day commuting, so it's not mandatory to charge daily, but hey why not, never know when I may need to run across town or something. Previously didn't matter if I plugged in right away or remembered to go out and plug in before bed, I just touched the button and plugged in, even if I didn't have my phone or a fob, it just worked. NOW I touch the button and nothing happens, so have to reach inside and scroll to screen, and open. Most of the time I try within minutes of arriving home so I don't think the vehicle is "asleep" yet, but I guess I can test and open the door and go back and try the button.

TLDR: In past I never had the issue at home, with or without phone/fob, I could open the port and plug in. Now I need to open from inside the car.

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
This brings up a related question. I too have noticed that the charge port door will close itself. Can anybody explain how or why this happens? That would be useful to know. I don't think the car wakes up and then it closes. It doesn't wake up at all. That's part of the confusion.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I'm one of those people who like to charge (almost) daily to 70%. Every evening, I go out to unplug my car and it bugs me that I have to unlock it, close the charge port door, and re-lock it each night. Am I missing something? Is there some way to close the charge port door while the truck is locked? I can open everything EXCEPT the charge port via the app.
I'm confused after reading these reply's. My R1S door does close when locked. I just unplug it and tap the button on the door. It closes. I have done it many times. It will not re-open while locked. I park on the driveway and have only tried this at home. Proximity at home is disabled and I use the key fob, phone proximity is disabled.

Oh and I also would like the option to open the port with the app without unlocking.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I don't like leaving the garage door open all night if I can avoid it.
Now this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in awhile. I charged outside with the charger inside the garage for years. In my case the slab had a recess between the two parking spots that ran out to the driveway and I just ran the charging cable through that and under the door...no problem, ever. But you can just as easily snake the cable through by a corner and just put it through the weather striping or something. There's zero reason to leave the door open while charging...that's just silly.

Willyspu

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Farmer
Clubs

I wish you could open/close the charg port door from the app. I have pulled into the garage got the charger and then had to climb back in the car, get to the correct screen, open the charge port and then plug in multiple times. A real first world problem. :)

Sponsored

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
Same unplug before leaving each day. You don’t even have to close the charge port door from the outside. The moment you put it in gear it closes automatically.
Oh I didn't know that. I always close the door manually after I unplug the charger. I always have hard time to find that sweet spot where it open/close the charge door. Just by putting it in gear closes the charge door will help me in great deal. Thanks! Always learning :)

Reactions: LDC

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I wish you could open/close the charg port door from the app. I have pulled into the garage got the charger and then had to climb back in the car, get to the correct screen, open the charge port and then plug in multiple times. A real first world problem. :)
"Alexa open the charge port door" Thats what I do anyway.
Sponsored