Sponsored

Charging a Rivian from various outlets (tried 120v through the 14-50 mobile charger too)

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
It's a shame the 5-15 mobile adapter doesn't allow amperage adjustment but it's a safety thing for people who don't know a 5-15 from a 5-20. Using the TT30 to 5-15 adapters stacked is not a bad idea if you can support the plugs for a good connection. Going direct to the bus bar on the pedestal is really gutsy, LOL! Won't be long before EV charging gets banned then.

The TT30 does about 25% charge overnight which is fine. Here's how I use two TT30s. One for the EV into the actual TT30R and a 5-15 adapter for the trailer.
2024-01-04 18.20.33.jpg

However, it's crossed my mind to wire a 60A BR/QP series breaker to a 14-50R with a ground clamp and throw it in the charge kit. If renting a B&B, just open the panel cover and pop the 60 into spare slots and charge off the panel at whatever the mobile unit will muster. Problem being there's no guarantee on what panel someone will have and dangling wires out the front of the panel are less than optimal.
I used to bring a 50 amp breaker and pop it into a garage panel when visiting family in CA with my Tesla. Worked great. Never trusted the wiring to the garage and would usually dial it down to 24-32 amps though.
Sponsored

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

Reactions: rpo

Reed1T

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My solution is, I had a spare Tesla EVSE and threw that into my Rivian. Beside the Tesla unit, I have the Tesla adaptor pack. Has most of the outlets I will ever need.
I have a J-1772 48amp rated extension cord.

Then I have a regular heavy duty 110-120v extension cord.

And obviously, but should say it just in case, have a Teslatap which has been the most useful tool in my kit. There’s Tesla destination chargers all over the place, and they are usually putting out more then a non-Tesla unit it placed right beside.

Maybe I should throw my old Tesla - Chademo adaptor in there for good measure. But I don’t see it ever coming in handy.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread, but I fear my Dunning-Kruger level on the topic of daisy-chaining EV adapters is reaching dangerous heights.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

@rpo and @HaveBlue :

Thanks for the back-and-forth; it may help me not burn down something someday.

FYI, I did find a wiring diagram for another manufacturer's version of the TT-30P/5-15P to 15-40R adapter. It appears (to me) to be wired in the way you both suggested.

Diagram:
Wiring Diagram.jpeg

Product: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ad...MBoCQCYQAvD_BwE#exp-productdetails=.questions

Again, thanks!
Yes that's the RV version. The EV version would not use the W anywhere but instead would use the X or Y in place of the W on the 120V ends.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I hadn't seen this thread, and I have to say the geek in me absolutely loves it. The attorney in me absolutely hates it though! 😂 😂

I'm super intrigued by the idea of plugging into a hotel parking lot's lamp post. So many hotels are lacking chargers!
I am curious about this light post option, too. Anybody have a picture of an example?

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I am curious about this light post option, too. Anybody have a picture of an example?
I really thought I had a pic, but the outlet on the lamp post in a hotel parking lot that I made an adapter for was a 240v 30 amp (L6-30?) receptacle. 80% continuous should have meant 24 amps available, but there was a very concerning amount of voltage sag of 30 volts (probably because the lights were on this circuit too), so I dialed it down to something like 12-14 amps, and it was fine.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I really thought I had a pic, but the outlet on the lamp post in a hotel parking lot that I made an adapter for was a 240v 30 amp (L6-30?) receptacle. 80% continuous should have meant 24 amps available, but there was a very concerning amount of voltage sag of 30 volts (probably because the lights were on this circuit too), so I dialed it down to something like 12-14 amps, and it was fine.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Was this an ad hoc cable you made specific to one visit to a particular hotel? Or have you found these types of sockets on lamp posts regularly?

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Was this an ad hoc cable you made specific to one visit to a particular hotel? Or have you found these types of sockets on lamp posts regularly?
Yep, I was at this hotel in northern Idaho for a week, and saw the outlet upon arrival. I carry a cheap voltage tester in my EVs and found there was 240v, and then asked the hotel if I could use it to charge. They did not care, so I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple feet of wire and the receptacle/plug and made the adapter on the spot. Used it again at the same hotel a couple more times too in subsequent years too.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yep, I was at this hotel in northern Idaho for a week, and saw the outlet upon arrival. I carry a cheap voltage tester in my EVs and found there was 240v, and then asked the hotel if I could use it to charge. They did not care, so I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple feet of wire and the receptacle/plug and made the adapter on the spot. Used it again at the same hotel a couple more times too in subsequent years too.
I see. Sounds like you travel in a similar style to me. I almost always have an assortment of SOOW cables, NEMA 14-50 receptacles, breakers and plugs. Can be very useful if you are willing to spend the time creating the adapter.

I will be on the lookout for outlets on the base of light posts moving forward!

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Here's a table of the residential Nema plugs. The L series commercial are the round twist lock types.
Rivian R1T R1S Charging a Rivian from various outlets (tried 120v through the 14-50 mobile charger too) nemaspecs

JamesTiberius

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Clubs

Hi all, bought this off off Amazon…take two non parallel 120V (non GFI) and connected to make 240V with 14/50 male. Also got the 50amp breaker off of Amazon for added security. Charger is good at 32 Amps!

Rivian R1T R1S Charging a Rivian from various outlets (tried 120v through the 14-50 mobile charger too) IMG_6544

OP
OP

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
Hi all, bought this off off Amazon…take two non parallel 120V (non GFI) and connected to make 240V with 14/50 male. Also got the 50amp breaker off of Amazon for added security. Charger is good at 32 Amps!

IMG_6544.jpeg
Just to confirm, you are not trying to pull 32 amps through two 120v outlets, right? That is double (or more) what should be used or you will be flipping breakers or causing more mayhem.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yea but he's got a 50a breaker so all good. 😁
Sponsored

• Haha