Sponsored

Charge port location poll: what standardized location would you like to see?

Where should Rivian (and other makes) standardize charge port locations?

• Total voters

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
After the R2, R3/R3x reveals yesterday and renewed discussion of charge port locations, let's take a poll. Which side do you prefer: left, right, both? Do you want front so you can pull in and/or not worry about a hitch-mount rack or trailer getting in the way? Or maybe you want to back so your wheelman can charge in blastoff position?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
After the R2, R3/R3x reveals yesterday and renewed discussion of charge port locations, let's take a poll. Which side do you prefer: left, right, both? Do you want front so you can pull in and/or not worry about a hitch-mount rack or trailer getting in the way? Or maybe you want to back so your wheelman can charge in blastoff position?
Where's the 'who cares?' option?

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I selected "blastoff position" aka R rear but I'm also happy keeping it at L front.
Can't swap corners unless you want to make RAN unworkable.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I think the frunk logo should hide the NACS charging port.

Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I think it should not matter and what should change is how charging stations are created to be parking spots: fenced from one side.

They should be like gas station, open from all side so you can park left or right, front or back. Put a dispenser that has cables on both sides (like gas stations) and paint 4 boxes around its four corners. Repeat a dispenser at the edge (ergo it share two of its boxes with the next dispenser.
It works for gas stations, should work here too.

Or do the mega sites then it would not matter that much.

DevonD

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - waiting on R1T
Way too many options. Votes will be wasted on locations/combinations that won’t ever happen. Mind as well add an option for a DC port on all 4 corners. Dual DC charging points won’t happen. RJ went on a podcast and explained why the port is in the rear. With R2 having purely RWD options, there are no high voltage cables up front so it would add too much cost to run them to a front charge port. It’s going to be on the rear of the vehicle. The poll should be whether it’s the left or right side. Maybe then Rivian will see this and make the change.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I believe this is all very simple from Rivian's perspective...
They have commited to their RAN superchargers and are being consistent with that orientation...
Tesla network be damned...

There's a benefit too for Rivians...if two stalls are linked (shared circuit), then taking up two stalls means you get the entire circuit to yourself (usually ~120-150kw).

I've actually seen Teslas employ this tactic by parking too far to the side and over the line it blocks anyone from sharing the circuit...so while Rivians will be unpopular at T Superchargers they will be in and out pretty quickly...

Last edited:

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

So many variables here... My thoughts are:

• Driver side front or rear makes the most sense, however I do prefer driver side rear, as I like to back-in to charge my Tesla
  • Most vehicles sold in the states have a fuel door on driver side, so its odd to see on the passenger side (most imports use passenger side fuel door).
  • Passenger side rear is great for street parking side chargers, where you can pull up to a space and a charger is available to plug right in. No need to walk around the other side to charge. I don't see this much in the states, though.

DevonD

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - waiting on R1T
They have commited to their RAN superchargers and are being consistent with that orientation...

There's a benefit too for Rivians...if two stalls are linked (shared circuit), then taking up two stalls means you get the entire circuit to yourself (usually ~120-150kw).

I've actually seen Teslas employ this tactic by parking too far to the side and over the line it blocks anyone from sharing the circuit...so while Rivians will be unpopular at T Superchargers they will be in and out pretty quickly...
That’s true. But when you consider there are fewer than 500 RAN handles and 50,000+ supercharger handles in North America, you would think it would make the most sense to go with the grain rather than against it. Especially if you’re adopting their plug and getting access to their network.

I could be wrong, but I believe it was only the 150kw V2 chargers that did power splitting. 250kw V3 and up enabled site wide power sharing. No longer would the cars on podiums A/B have their power halved and charge rate reduced. So anyone intentionally blocking chargers, especially when there’s no advantage, are just being jerks

Sponsored

sparkles

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
A rear port sucks with a trailer or rear mounted accessory, or even just pet/cargo access to the lift gate while charging. Every car should have a port on each front corner or front fender, left side for easy day to day use, right side for convenience/eventual street parking chargers.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Very confusing poll. All you needed is driver front, driver rear, passenger front and passenger rear. I don't even know what side left or right is lol.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta

Rivians are not compatible with the V2 chargers anyway, and I believe only the V2 chargers share power. V3s are independent and sharing isn't an issue. Taking up two spaces is an issue, however, if the existing V3 cables don't reach in the current port location.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I wish all charging stalls were are built like gas pumps, as in, on the side where you can pull through.

This would allow for short cords to be used without any compatibility problems, ensures all stations could handle vehicle towing payload, and makes it so that drivers don't have to back in or out.

I understand that this would increase cost due to the amount of cabling needed to connect to the power source.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Where's the 'wireless charging' option?? :D
Rivian R1T R1S Charge port location poll: what standardized location would you like to see? 1710017265800
Then surely no one can complain, right? ....RIGHT? ...Bueller?
Sponsored