Sponsored

Charge port location poll: what standardized location would you like to see?

Where should Rivian (and other makes) standardize charge port locations?

• Total voters

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Where's the 'wireless charging' option?? :D
1710017265800.png
Then surely no one can complain, right? ....RIGHT? ...Bueller?
Someone will always complain..🤷🏼‍♂️

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

If I could go back in time and put the charge point standard location in law/rule that *ALL* EVs would have followed going back to the iMiEV/Leaf/Model S, I'd go front-center. With wireless charging also required.

But since we can't do that, it doesn't matter. Existing vehicles have them at all possible locations, we're going to need to accommodate them for decades to come, so standardizing now doesn't matter any more.

Reactions: sub

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
What about an option for two charge ports maybe one front and one rear. Let the user decide and fund the option

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I think passenger front makes the most sense.

However, I’d trade my preferred location for anything that becomes standardized across the industry.

There are very valid reasons to keep charging cables as short as possible. Longer cables need to be thicker to carry the same current. Not to mention the higher likelihood of driving over and damaging a longer cable.

Standardized locations would also make stations easier to design in the future. This is probably a bigger deal than reconfiguring the stations already in existence.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Middle behind the license plate, as it was, as it shall be.

...or passenger side.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The problem with the gas station pull-through setup is it's a really inefficient use of space compared to parking spots. Since people are charging for 5-10x as long as they are pumping gas, there need to be more charging stations.

Parking spot charging will be common for a long time which means front ports are much better. Too many things can interfere with backing into a spot or accessing the rear of the vehicle.

Street parking charging is going to need to be standard for EVs to expand to apartment dwellers and big cities. Therefore passenger side is better.

So the answer is front right. The main arguments against it are the way current stations happen to be set up, but that is nothing compared to the total infrastructure we need to build in the next 20-30 years and use for the next 100+, so this should not be based on accidental legacy decisions.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I like the idea of front center (or rear center but problematic for a truck). It could be one of the few things Renault.... err "Nissan"... has gotten right in recent decades 😆

Aliberty

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Retail
Clubs

So many variables here... My thoughts are:

• Driver side front or rear makes the most sense, however I do prefer driver side rear, as I like to back-in to charge my Tesla
  • Most vehicles sold in the states have a fuel door on driver side, so its odd to see on the passenger side (most imports use passenger side fuel door).
  • Passenger side rear is great for street parking side chargers, where you can pull up to a space and a charger is available to plug right in. No need to walk around the other side to charge. I don't see this much in the states, though.
Right rear would be the most ideal for future curb side parking charging, plus can see port open in rear view mirror

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Front driver side, because i am selfish and that's where i installed my charger in my garage.
Sponsored