First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
This thread is to serve as a way to connect Rivian owners who may be traveling in areas far from public chargers and find themselves in need of some charge so they can get to the level 3 chargers. I suggest that if you are willing to host someone that you put a note on this forum with your state, charge capacity and a general location (NOT your actual address, let people message you with their info and need before you hand that out!).
Sponsored

OP
OP

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
First node: Montana, Thomson Falls area, 48 amp Rivian wall charger. PM if you are in the area and need a charge.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Create a master Google Sheet to track all this.

There's also an app for that... PlugShare. You can share your home charger.

danruss

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vermontroads.net
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think the intent here is to have the home chargers only available on an as needed basis.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This thread is to serve as a way to connect Rivian owners who may be traveling in areas far from public chargers and find themselves in need of some charge so they can get to the level 3 chargers. I suggest that if you are willing to host someone that you put a note on this forum with your state, charge capacity and a general location (NOT your actual address, let people message you with their info and need before you hand that out!).
This is a great idea! We need to petition Rivian to create a section of their app for listing a Rivian Adventure Community Network. That way we can keep this exclusive to our community so that folks aren't bombarded by everyone looking for a charge especially in areas where you are going to be hard pressed to find a charger of any kind.

This wouldn't cost Rivian much at all - would help build a sense of community and brand loyalty - and provides significant added value to their growing network.

As someone else mentioned, once you list yourself on Plugshare, you will have random people trying to charge at your charger at all hours of the day. Not advisable unless you are prepared for an onslaught.

Sponsored

OP
OP

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Create a master Google Sheet to track all this.

Thanks. I did put an entry on PlugShare after this suggestion but I really want to make this mainly available for my fellows Rivianaires. Of course, we get so little EV traffic around here I doubt I will ever get a call from a PlugShare person. If I do get swamped by plugshare people I will remove that listing.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Second node: Oriental, NC, 48 amp Rivian wall charger. PM if you are in the area and need a charge.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
This was common in 2012-2016 but the proliferation of public charging means most people prefer avoiding someone's garage. Plugshare still has home chargers, but checkins are rare. And the L2 rate is so poor this is almost always an overnight affair.

If you put it on plugshare you likely won't get much traffic.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This was common in 2012-2016 but the proliferation of public charging means most people prefer avoiding someone's garage. Plugshare still has home chargers, but checkins are rare. And the L2 rate is so poor this is almost always an overnight affair.

If you put it on plugshare you likely won't get much traffic.
V2V with fast charging would be pretty useful for this kind of a situation, but there's still so much better infrastructure nearby where I'm at, it's pointless to offer.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Charleston, SC (West Ashley) Rivian 48a charger

Simpsonville, SC Nema 14-50 plug (40a max)

PM me, I check in here frequently enough

Sponsored

OP
OP

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Living in a rural area sure makes a difference! The nearest public charging to my home is 120 miles away.

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would suggest using the fast charging within 30 miles of my house that's closer to the freeway and easier to access than my house.
Sponsored