ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If I have to use a wake word in the Rivian I would want it to be "Rivian", "truck", or "RJ". Or maybe "Kit" if it was a sports car/adventure car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Not sure if this helps, but the left scroll-wheel button on the wheel activates Alexa without using the wake word—so you could just press that and say your command, no need to say "Alexa" ever.

I would personally prefer the physical in most situations, but I'm also a little paranoid and can't stand cloud-based spyware. So I will most likely be disabling the Amazon integrations completely if there's no on-vehicle voice control.
That’s actually perfect - I prefer the “hit the button then talk” vs the inevitable execution of a command that I did not (intentionally) say.

I had a boss, recently, whose name sounded a tiny bit like Siri. I could not pick up the phone without inevitably triggering every Apple device in my office.

Thanks!

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Echo devices allow the following wake words: Alexa, Echo, Computer, and Ziggy.
I would imagine those 4 options would be available in a Rivian.
Ziggy! đź‘Ť

Perhaps...the combo: disabling the Alexa wake word, and then using the button on the wheel to activate?
That's what I'm hoping for in future OTAs. Just let me push the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel (it doesn't do anything right now anyway) to invoke Alexa.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If I have to use a wake word in the Rivian I would want it to be "Rivian", "truck", or "RJ". Or maybe "Kit" if it was a sports car/adventure car.
Truckasaurus

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm all good with my kids names of Ask Jeeves and Altavista ... those names are NEVER spoken in casual conversation.
Pfft ... what kinda Yahoo names their kids Ask Jeeves and Altavista? Bing Bing Bing ... this guy!

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Pfft ... what kinda Yahoo names their kids Ask Jeeves and Altavista? Bing Bing Bing ... this guy!
Heck, it’s better than naming them DuckDuckGo!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That's what I'm hoping for in future OTAs. Just let me push the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel (it doesn't do anything right now anyway) to invoke Alexa.
You can already do that my guy (but left scroll wheel):
Rivian R1T R1S Change Alexa wake word? Screenshot_20220626-094948_OneDrive

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That’s actually perfect - I prefer the “hit the button then talk” vs the inevitable execution of a command that I did not (intentionally) say.

I had a boss, recently, whose name sounded a tiny bit like Siri. I could not pick up the phone without inevitably triggering every Apple device in my office.

Thanks!
Per Reddit (so YMMV) - an owner was able to change the wake word just by asking Alexa to change the wake word. I don't have my truck yet, so cannot confirm.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

But I digress. Because she is in fact a holder of that name, and she has no interest in changing it, AND I would like to use the voice control features in my truck … can you change the wake word to something besides “Alexa”?
I feel for you and your kiddo. Amazon should have put more thought into this and went with a unique / fictional character name that no one would otherwise say….”Ford Prefect” would be my suggestion.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Per Reddit (so YMMV) - an owner was able to change the wake word just by asking Alexa to change the wake word. I don't have my truck yet, so cannot confirm.
I'll try that...my guide said 'not yet'....but doesn't hurt to try.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I feel for you and your kiddo. Amazon should have put more thought into this and went with a unique / fictional character name that no one would otherwise say….”Ford Prefect” would be my suggestion.
I have definitely said “Ford Prefect” way more times than “Alexa” in my life.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Marketing
Howdy! Discovered this answer yesterday... Just ask Alexa to change it's wake word! I asked it to change it's voice (we use the "New Voice" (Male) in our house and it worked, then a prompt popped up explaining how to change the wake word.

Hope this helps!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Any mention of changing Alexa’s name immediately reminds me of this.
Sponsored