Sponsored

Challenging PR for R1T (rear window replacement cost)

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
It’s appropriate to do so on a rivian forum. Doing it on Xitter sounds like whining about poor service from Delta Airlines
I see how you think that - but the actual criticism is not inaccurate.
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I see how you think that - but the actual criticism is not inaccurate.
His criticism lacks context on Xitter. The context is that Rivian is new, is scaling, and doesn’t readily have spare parts available. Which explains both the high cost and why Safelite probably couldn’t obtain the parts. Thus, the lack of context doesn’t help.

This context is understood here on the forum, since we know about Rivian.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Amazing how much people make here. People seem to be defending and normalizing a windshield repair cost that is literally about 5% of the actual vehicle price.

Name me another vehicle that cost $80K with a $4k windshield repair bill.
Look at any thread where someone imagines a new feature.. within minutes someone always posts "I'd pay extra for that!".. and that is how we get $4,000 rear windows.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

Whenever Rivian has some bad news regarding earnings or anything and starts trading lower stories like these come out to ride that trend and allow shorts to make money.
[Checking my shorts]

Darn... no money.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I will never stop wondering why the majority of people immediately believe stories like this without question. Other than knowing his name and job title, we don't know anything about the man sharing this story or his motivation for doing so. And since he provided the bare minimum of details, it makes me even less likely to take it at face value.

At least one person in this thread had their rear glass replaced by an independent shop for much less than he was quoted. There has to be more to the story and the fact that he didn't provide more it calls into question his credibility IMO.

Show us the quote from Rivian and the quote from Safelite. Are they even for the same work? If not then why did he portray it that way?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I will never stop wondering why the majority of people immediately believe stories like this without question. Other than knowing his name and job title, we don't know anything about the man sharing this story or his motivation for doing so. And since he provided the bare minimum of details, it makes me even less likely to take it at face value.

At least one person in this thread had their rear glass replaced by an independent shop for much less than he was quoted. There has to be more to the story and the fact that he didn't provide more it calls into question his credibility IMO.

Show us the quote from Rivian and the quote from Safelite. Are they even for the same work? If not then why did he portray it that way?
See above. Rivian does indeed charge $4200 before tax for this service. I didn't have to pay this but the numbers are there.

The Independent quote doesn't seem to include the spoiler, remove and replace, so I'm not sure how that worked. It also doesn't mention the back seat.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Only when the manufacturer has a monopoly on service. Then you get monopoly prices.

Apparently the CEO’s Taycan (which is pricier than a Rivian) is cheaper to repair. $4000 for a rear windshield and $8000 for a bumper is outrageous, even for an expensive car, IMHO.
Not sure where the price for the bumper ($8000) came from but it was only $552.46 (+ install) on my recent repair after a kid backed into me. Not cheap but not $8000 either...

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not sure where the price for the bumper ($8000) came from but it was only $552.46 (+ install) on my recent repair after a kid backed into me. Not cheap but not $8000 either...
Pretty sure that reference was for the whole thing: R&R, paint, part. Not just part like you are saying.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Pretty sure that reference was for the whole thing: R&R, paint, part. Not just part like you are saying.
You are correct...I misread initially. That is $552.46 for R&R and part...it's plastic so no paint...

Still, the point is, it's a far cry from the $8000 quoted from a previous post...

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
See above. Rivian does indeed charge $4200 before tax for this service. I didn't have to pay this but the numbers are there.

The Independent quote doesn't seem to include the spoiler, remove and replace, so I'm not sure how that worked. It also doesn't mention the back seat.
Thanks - I missed that post! Surely Safelite was not quoting for all of that to be done. Were you under the impression that any rear glass replacement requires all of that to be done?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks - I missed that post! Surely Safelite was not quoting for all of that to be done. Were you under the impression that any rear glass replacement requires all of that to be done?
That was my impression, I believe the spoiler is not a re-usable part so if it needs to be removed for a glass replacement then I guess this is the result. While it is possible that the vandalism also damaged the spoiler they did not mention that.

The backseat I was surprised about but this might have been needed to cleaning out the broken glass.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Eventually, everyone saying, “What’s the big deal since insurance is paying for it,” will indirectly be paying for it over time through higher insurance premiums.

We’re already seeing people post about Rivian/Nationwide and other carriers raising rates all of a sudden after a year or two by 20% or more. Well, this is the reason. These Rivians are expensive to repair and aren’t well designed for easy repairs. (Munro also has mentioned that about these Rivians).

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That was my impression, I believe the spoiler is not a re-usable part so if it needs to be removed for a glass replacement then I guess this is the result. While it is possible that the vandalism also damaged the spoiler they did not mention that.

The backseat I was surprised about but this might have been needed to cleaning out the broken glass.
Charging to clean out broken glass? No way. That would be highway robbery.
Imagine being charged to clean the wheels during a wheel alignment.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Charging to clean out broken glass? No way. That would be highway robbery.
Imagine being charged to clean the wheels during a wheel alignment.
I think you mis-read. I am saying removing the back seat may have been required to clean the glass out. Most likely it just needs to come out to replace the back window, they also replaced the tray behind the seat.

My invoice did have a line item for 2 hours of labor to detail the interior, not charged due to it being vandalism at the SC. If someone throws a rock through your window someone is going to have to clean up the glass, why would Rivian do it for free if not their fault?
Sponsored