Ceramic brakes?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I cannot remember if I heard a video or read an article on the type of brakes that Rivian has…are they ceramic?

also, anybody have the wheel offsets Yet?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I cannot remember if I heard a video or read an article on the type of brakes that Rivian has…are they ceramic?

thanks in advance!
The only thing I have seen is that the front are six-piston Brembo's and from MT work very effectively. Ceramics are usually a super expensive option.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Steel discs for sure. Do you mean ceramic pads?

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I haven’t seen ceramic brakes mentioned, and wouldn’t expect them to be much use for an EV.

The Rivian is a very heavy vehicle, but like other modern EVs the regen means that brake requirements are actually pretty modest.

AFAIK the real advantage of ceramic brakes (apart from bragging rights) is longevity and lack of fade under repeated applications such as on a track. It’s hard to imagine a use case on the Rivian where they’d be better than standard brake materials.

The bright yellow caliper paint already confers most of the advantages, without the significant expense. This is also true of Porsches that aren’t actively running on a track.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ceramics are pretty expensive ($10k on my vette) so I highly doubt they will be on the Rivian. Maybe on a future one, but not the R1.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ceramic brakes? No thanks.

noisy, expensive, and very unnecessary on a truck.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I haven’t seen ceramic brakes mentioned, and wouldn’t expect them to be much use for an EV.

The Rivian is a very heavy vehicle, but like other modern EVs the regen means that brake requirements are actually pretty modest.

AFAIK the real advantage of ceramic brakes (apart from bragging rights) is longevity and lack of fade under repeated applications such as on a track. It’s hard to imagine a use case on the Rivian where they’d be better than standard brake materials.

The bright yellow caliper paint already confers most of the advantages, without the significant expense. This is also true of Porsches that aren’t actively running on a track.
Many people tracking their Porsches change the PCCB rotors to iron.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

Because no one would ever need to stop or expect to generate a lot of continuous friction heat causing greater brake fade in non-ceramic materials from an 8,000 lb EV with a full battery towing 11,000 lbs downhill.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Because no one would ever need to stop or expect to generate a lot of continuous friction heat causing greater brake fade in non-ceramic materials from an 8,000 lb EV with a full battery towing 11,000 lbs downhill.
Regenerative braking work wonders. Ceramic rotors are totally unnecessary and I read above the maybe its for the pads - which makes sense.

Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Starting at the top of a hill with a full battery and a full load would potentially be an issue, but I’d consider that an edge case, easily mitigated by planning.

if you find yourself on the top of a mountain, there’s no reason to charge the battery to 100%.

if you stop halfway up, charge to 100%, and then change your mind and decide to go back down instead…. Yeah that’s going to be problematic. In that case, you’ll be kicking yourself for not bringing one of the many pickups on the market equipped with ceramic brakes. ;p

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI

thanks in advance!
Ceramic pads are quite common as they generate less visible dust and California limits the use of metallic/semi metallic pads because of the dust. There's no significant difference from the road user perspective otherwise. Metallic pads are more common for track/race use because they're more effective at the high heat levels encountered while racing.

Carbon fiber discs are a different matter altogether and I think this thread is getting confused. The truck is not coming with carbon fiber discs.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Ceramic pads are quite common as they generate less visible dust and California limits the use of metallic/semi metallic pads because of the dust. There's no significant difference from the road user perspective otherwise. Metallic pads are more common for track/race use because they're more effective at the high heat levels encountered while racing.

Carbon fiber discs are a different matter altogether and I think this thread is getting confused. The truck is not coming with carbon fiber discs.
This makes more sense.

i started thinking, and it’s been at least 10 years since I did brakes on a car. For the last seven, my daily driver has been a Tesla Model S.

I do have to make sure I use the friction brakes after driving in the rain to clean rust off, but at the current rate of wear, I’ll be too old too old to drive before the car needs new brake linings. I seriously think they’ll go several hundred thousand miles, and the rears probably will last the life of the car.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for all the information!

I ask only because I saw a post on the Tesla Plaid brakes catching fire when used in track-like conditions.

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-tesla-model-s-plaids-brakes-catch-fire-during-t-1848169116

The video had them going up to 100MPH then braking hard and they did it several times and was testing the temperature of the rotors after. Not a typical SUV/Truck thing, but got me wondering. The guys on the video were upgrading the Tesla Plaid brakes.

Thanks again for the info!

Regarding the wheel offsets...that has still been an illusive bit of data.

Reason for asking is looking at potential after market options.

I originally configured 22"s on my LE then moved to 20". I may just get both but wanted to check on what is out there on the market that can suppor the R1's....

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Regarding the wheel offsets...that has still been an illusive bit of data.

Reason for asking is looking at potential after market options.

I originally configured 22"s on my LE then moved to 20". I may just get both but wanted to check on what is out there on the market that can suppor the R1's....
Someone took pictures of the stamping on the back of the 20" wheels. They are 20x8.5, ET48. The center bore is still unknown.
Sponsored