Sponsored

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord Charger_01

Decided to do my own charger install this time after getting quotes. We have an existing Tesla and charger that we are keeping so will be our second fuel station. Mine is simpler than most as have secondary panel in the garage and can completely de-energize it from a breaker in main panel. In the end it only cost me about $250 in supplies, but I did already have the wiring and cutting tools needed.

I wanted a ceiling mount so could use minimal materials and to take advantage of the 25ft cord that comes with the Rivian Wall Charger. The wiring is the most expensive so makes sense to not just have it all coiled up on the wall like it is on our Tesla charger. Having the black cable run across the ceiling in not the "cleanest looking" install but I don't really care since its in the garage.

Also wanted the cable to drop down from the ceiling. This is a bit challenging especially if trying to get it in a specific location and I did not want extra cable or anything sitting on the garage floor on the end. It needed to go over the bay we will continue to park the Tesla.

Was an interesting project figuring out how to come out of my breaker panel, the routing so could secure everything on studs while still getting it where needed, where to leave room/order of assembly so could connect the rigid plumbing, how to offset the rigid plumbing so could run it into the wall charger, and probably the most thought went into how to drop the cable down without strain on the cable.

Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord Charger_02.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord Charger_03.JPG

Realized coming out of my breaker panel was much easier from the bottom rather than the top. There was a mess of wires at the top already and only the Tesla charger wires at the bottom so much more working room. Had to change my routing for this but glad I did as was much easier.

I did not want to buy a 1in conduit bender as it alone is $100 (or could have rented one). I thought this might get me when trying to offset the conduit to enter the charger box but realized I could just leave a gap off the ceiling after coming up the wall and this worked really well.

Glad I did not do custom bent conduit leading up to the charger and just used 90 degree elbows. Having more "sections" made the assembly a bit easier and where needed room to slip the conduit together could loosen the sections to give some wiggle/pivot room.

Securing the Wall Charger was a bit tedious as no wiggle room for error the way it secures to the mounting bracket and to bring in the conduit and wiring at the same time essentially, but the "hook" it normally slips over to secure by gravity when on the wall still really helped make it possible as a one person install (really recommend a helper for this).

For the cable drop down I looked at some high dollar custom solutions as well as some other DYI stuff, but thought had to be an easy way to both hang the cable from the ceiling and provide strain relief. Just did not want to damage the wiring over time as it is a good amount of weight dropping down. Eventually I remembered had purchased a kit for mounting tools using various hook types for my garage. I had a left over "broom hook" that swivels and also a heavy duty velcro cable strap from that kit I thought I would never use. Amazon link . I bent the hook a little to ensure the cable strap would not slide off the end. This works perfect to secure the cable to the ceiling and allows it to pivot some. Still struggled with what to do for strain relief for a while. My initial calculations had several feet of extra cable that I knew wanted to coil up one way or another and then realized this acts as natural strain relief if can secure it well as coil. Couple zip ties and done ...
Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord charger_04.JPG

I mentioned not wanting to have to buy extra materials than needed. Well, it was not exactly planned this way but in the end I had 2in of extra conduit, 0in extra of the 6g wire from charger to the electrical panel, and hopefully exactly enough of the 25' cable with a drop down coil to get the plug into the R1S ... I am not really sure as I don't own one just yet haha, so hopefully the calc's are correct.

FYI, the instructions included in the box for the setup of the Wall Charger to connect to WiFi/App is not really correct. I searched on the support site and found proper instructions and had zero issues getting connected.

Hopefully helps someone ...
Sponsored

Last edited:

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '19 Model 3, a bunch of old jeeps
Occupation
Engineer
Looks nice! I hate having to step over my cable when it's plugged in so this is an interesting idea. How far off the ground does it hang? When plugged in, the shape of the connector causes the cable to point downwards, so you'll need some extra length for it to loop back up towards the ceiling. You may have already accounted for this but I can't tell from the picture. I guess worst case you can adjust your strain relief service loop as needed. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Looks nice! I hate having to step over my cable when it's plugged in so this is an interesting idea. How far off the ground does it hang? When plugged in, the shape of the connector causes the cable to point downwards, so you'll need some extra length for it to loop back up towards the ceiling. You may have already accounted for this but I can't tell from the picture. I guess worst case you can adjust your strain relief service loop as needed. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Yes great point on needing a little extra to loop back the handle back up and I had meant to mention that. Was not until after completing and visualizing how I would actually grab it and plug in that I realized this. I initially thought I might have an extra foot or two but it is going to be real close when combine with slight parking differences. I can do a slight adjustment to the way I ran the last part across the ceiling if need a little extra, so I think one way or another will be good. The very tip of the plug as it sits suspended is 18in off the ground currently.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Is this install to code? I know there is regional/municipal intricacies involved, but I thought I remember my electrician telling me there was a specific height range off the ground for EV chargers (and it's not a huge range). This was also 3 years ago and and I might also be remembering incorrectly or remembering something specific to Denver and/or CO.

To clarify, I'm not crapping on it and it looks very interesting, just curious.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

Sponsored

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Is this install to code?
The NEC states that switches, breakers, or disconnecting means shall be readily accessible, but the charger is hardwired and doesn't have a disconnect. It's also within sight of the panel so the breaker can serve as the disconnect if needed. It's really no different than the outlet on the ceiling for the garage door motor. The enclosure might not be rain tight when mounted like this which obviously isn't a concern indoors. The OP used 6AWG wire, assuming it's THHN for use in conduit and paired with a 60A breaker it should be fine. EMT conduit needs a strap within 3' of the terminations and at least every 10' in the center. Without measuring the strap closest to the panel it looks close but is probably good.

Unconventional, sure, but I don't see any code violations.

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
EMT conduit needs a strap within 3' of the terminations and at least every 10' in the center. Without measuring the strap closest to the panel it looks close but is probably good.
Oh yeah, you reminded me another mod I did was that 90 degree conduit body used to bring the wiring out just below the breaker panel is internally rigid mounted (i.e strapped) to the stud the electrical panel is hung on . Just drilled out two vertical holes in the body and used screws. That was one of the "tricks" that really helped me run the conduit and wiring without a helper since it was secured well to not have everything flopping around as built out the next section of conduit before strapping it.

Used 1in EMT conduit (don't go smaller), 60amp breaker, and 6g wiring (6/2 Romex specifically). FYI, can buy Romex by the foot at the big box stores rather than fixed package length to likely save some $$. The 6g is the largest the Rivian Wall Charger will take at the terminals so don't overthink this.

One other random tip for those doing metal conduit, a square #2 bit works best by far to tighten the EMT conduit set screws on slip fittings.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Is this install to code? I know there is regional/municipal intricacies involved, but I thought I remember my electrician telling me there was a specific height range off the ground for EV chargers (and it's not a huge range). This was also 3 years ago and and I might also be remembering incorrectly or remembering something specific to Denver and/or CO.

To clarify, I'm not crapping on it and it looks very interesting, just curious.
See below, from NEC 2023. The "coupling means" (vehicle connector) has storage height requirements, but the EVSE enclosure does not.

I did not go back and look, but I think an older version of NEC might have specified the enclosure height.

Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord 1686707108942

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
YOU SHOULD BUY THIS ....
NO SIR ... exactly what I wanted to avoid. Is not for ceiling mounting, no strain relief on cable with just a suspended cable clamp (yes, I am overthinking this), likely adds tension to the cable while plugged in, one more thing to mess with each time plug it in, many $$$'s more, and not to mention others think three stars of it so far. It just manages extra cable length that I don't have/want.

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
See below, from NEC 2023. The "coupling means" (vehicle connector) has storage height requirements, but the EVSE enclosure does not.
Good find. So there's a minimum height requirement but not a maximum. Here's a handy document that pulls together all the requirements for EVSE installations and the relevant NEC sections, including 625.50: https://newbuildings.org/wp-content...le-Family-Permitting-and-Inspection-Guide.pdf

Used 1in EMT conduit (don't go smaller), 60amp breaker, and 6g wiring (6/2 Romex specifically).
6AWG NM-B cable (sometimes referred to as romex) might not meet code since it's rated for 60C and only supports 55A max current. Here's an ampacity chart from a wire manufacturer that compares different wire types with temperature and current ratings: https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/.

Section 210.19(A)(1) of the NEC states "Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum branch-circuit conductor size shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125% of the continuous load." This means for a 48A load, the conductor needs a 48*1.25 = 60A rating, and 6AWG NM-B cable doesn't meet this requirement. But note that on the ampacity chart, 6AWG SE cable or THHN wire are rated for 60A+ at 75C/90C. MC cable uses THHN and also meets this requirement.

There's a lot of debate on whether 6/2 NM-B can be used for EV chargers. I thought post #35 on this forum was pretty relevant: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/tesla-charging-station.2561702/page-2. It gets confusing because the NEC states you can use a 60A breaker on 6AWG NM-B despite the 55A rating, but that doesn't change the fact that the conductor is not rated for 60A so 210.19 still applies.

Some wire manufacturers use THHN wire inside the NM-B cable jacket. But the NEC restricts NM-B cable to 60C regardless of the internal conductor. From an engineering perspective, I think NM-B is de-rated because it could be run inside attics at high temperature and are typically fastened with staples that could crimp the insulation. Your install inside a conduit in a garage with a short run negates these concerns. I would feel comfortable leaving it as is, but it technically doesn't meet code.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Charger_01.png

Decided to do my own charger install this time after getting quotes. We have an existing Tesla and charger that we are keeping so will be our second fuel station. Mine is simpler than most as have secondary panel in the garage and can completely de-energize it from a breaker in main panel. In the end it only cost me about $250 in supplies, but I did already have the wiring and cutting tools needed.

I wanted a ceiling mount so could use minimal materials and to take advantage of the 25ft cord that comes with the Rivian Wall Charger. The wiring is the most expensive so makes sense to not just have it all coiled up on the wall like it is on our Tesla charger. Having the black cable run across the ceiling in not the "cleanest looking" install but I don't really care since its in the garage.

Also wanted the cable to drop down from the ceiling. This is a bit challenging especially if trying to get it in a specific location and I did not want extra cable or anything sitting on the garage floor on the end. It needed to go over the bay we will continue to park the Tesla.

Was an interesting project figuring out how to come out of my breaker panel, the routing so could secure everything on studs while still getting it where needed, where to leave room/order of assembly so could connect the rigid plumbing, how to offset the rigid plumbing so could run it into the wall charger, and probably the most thought went into how to drop the cable down without strain on the cable.

Charger_02.JPG

Charger_03.JPG

Realized coming out of my breaker panel was much easier from the bottom rather than the top. There was a mess of wires at the top already and only the Tesla charger wires at the bottom so much more working room. Had to change my routing for this but glad I did as was much easier.

I did not want to buy a 1in conduit bender as it alone is $100 (or could have rented one). I thought this might get me when trying to offset the conduit to enter the charger box but realized I could just leave a gap off the ceiling after coming up the wall and this worked really well.

Glad I did not do custom bent conduit leading up to the charger and just used 90 degree elbows. Having more "sections" made the assembly a bit easier and where needed room to slip the conduit together could loosen the sections to give some wiggle/pivot room.

Securing the Wall Charger was a bit tedious as no wiggle room for error the way it secures to the mounting bracket and to bring in the conduit and wiring at the same time essentially, but the "hook" it normally slips over to secure by gravity when on the wall still really helped make it possible as a one person install (really recommend a helper for this).

For the cable drop down I looked at some high dollar custom solutions as well as some other DYI stuff, but thought had to be an easy way to both hang the cable from the ceiling and provide strain relief. Just did not want to damage the wiring over time as it is a good amount of weight dropping down. Eventually I remembered had purchased a kit for mounting tools using various hook types for my garage. I had a left over "broom hook" that swivels and also a heavy duty velcro cable strap from that kit I thought I would never use. Amazon link . I bent the hook a little to ensure the cable strap would not slide off the end. This works perfect to secure the cable to the ceiling and allows it to pivot some. Still struggled with what to do for strain relief for a while. My initial calculations had several feet of extra cable that I knew wanted to coil up one way or another and then realized this acts as natural strain relief if can secure it well as coil. Couple zip ties and done ...
charger_04.JPG

I mentioned not wanting to have to buy extra materials than needed. Well, it was not exactly planned this way but in the end I had 2in of extra conduit, 0in extra of the 6g wire from charger to the electrical panel, and hopefully exactly enough of the 25' cable with a drop down coil to get the plug into the R1S ... I am not really sure as I don't own one just yet haha, so hopefully the calc's are correct.

FYI, the instructions included in the box for the setup of the Wall Charger to connect to WiFi/App is not really correct. I searched on the support site and found proper instructions and had zero issues getting connected.

Hopefully helps someone ...
McGrubber!!!!

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Nice. I thought about this but none of the cable lengths worked without either moving the plug (electrician) or adding an extension cord. I also didnt want to look up and see all that so I went for a simpler solution on the floor which also serves as a "stop here" mark for pulling the truck in.

Allows me to charge both the Tesla (backed in as i've done forever) and the Rivian (pulled straight in) with the chargers right next to each other by that pole. I use a J1772->Tesla adapter (from Tesla) to charge the Tesla.

Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord IMG_1118.JPG

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
Nice. I thought about this but none of the cable lengths worked without either moving the plug (electrician) or adding an extension cord. I also didnt want to look up and see all that so I went for a simpler solution on the floor which also serves as a "stop here" mark for pulling the truck in.

Allows me to charge both the Tesla (backed in as i've done forever) and the Rivian (pulled straight in) with the chargers right next to each other by that pole. I use a J1772->Tesla adapter (from Tesla) to charge the Tesla.

IMG_1118.JPG
What floor cable ramp did you buy this one look perfect for me too

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just an update on this.

I did end up needing to relocate it slightly to get it closer to the charge connection and some more length hanging down. It now sits only about 3/4in off the floor when not in use and now very easy to connect.

Very happy with this now that had a couple months using it and suspect more will be interested in this as good solution once have two EV's or just for using a garage bay that is better for vehicle layout/positioning rather than easiest to wire up to. Having the cable exactly where it needs to be and nothing to pull it out of really does help.

The charger has worked with no issues and its been record heat here in AZ and no problems with any of this or the wiring.

The cable hanging down also is a nice visual aid to parking in the garage to almost the exact same each time too.

Only thing I would do different if did it again would be to have it drop down slightly in front of the charge door rather than behind it as would make it ever so slightly easier to connect when door is open but this is really not an issue at all.
Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord AC9CA93D-04F3-4F05-9BD5-C2101CC79784

Rivian R1T R1S Ceiling mounted Rivian wall charger with drop down cord 836C3644-C711-402B-AF1E-601ABC970839
Sponsored

Last edited: