Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Haha. That’s on the playlist too. It’s a rather eclectic mix
I have both those on mine, too....but.....do you have Neil Diamond Soolaimon? Make it more eclectic and listen to that one on the Meridian.

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
The pick up line is the worst…

that said, if it’s going to be a while (and it sounds like it will…), tell the SC you want a Rivian loaner. Pinch of sugar and all… they have them, just not enough of them for all the work they’re doing (at least at my local SC). They hooked me up and it was illuminating to drive another R1T for 8 days while mine was worked on.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Just a reminder that we are driving a computer on wheels.

Faulty electronic parts usually fail early once the device is put into service.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
All of this is speculation but it seems like it's something more than just the 12v system. I would think you would see some symptoms before it went all haywire. But maybe I'm wrong.

As an aside, I happened to notice that in my Tesla, there is no "12v battery not charging indicator", nor does the R1T manual seem to have that indicator either like you would see in other cars. My Ioniq electric did have one (Also an EV). I would assume that if the track battery could not charge the 12v you would see some sort of descriptive error while driving. It's pretty easy to tell as you would not have the regular 13.5 to 14 volts in the system.

Anyway I'll stick to my ECM (Or ECU, or whatever Rivian calls their main processing unit) theory. There I put it on the internet so it must be true right :CWL:

In any case it sucks. I just got mine too and now I'm nervous I don't even have 500mi on it yet. Please keep us updated.

OP
OP

Slowduck93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Exec
Ok. After about a week I noticed that my app said the servicing was finished. So I called.
It turns out it took them a week to find that a connector that connects some kind of wiring to the rear left suspension was loose and fell apart. That caused everything to go into limp mode and all the subsequent “you can’t drive me except to the side of the road for a tow” symptoms.

no 12v issue. Nothing dramatic. Just a loose connector. They reconnected it and reseated it and apparently things are fine. The provided Uber credit SI I can get to the south San Francisco service center and pick up the Rivian tomorrow

I will say that the 800. Number service people and the south San Francisco service center staff I talked to were all incredibly nice, helpful, understanding, etc.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Ok. After about a week I noticed that my app said the servicing was finished. So I called.
It turns out it took them a week to find that a connector that connects some kind of wiring to the rear left suspension was loose and fell apart. That caused everything to go into limp mode and all the subsequent “you can’t drive me except to the side of the road for a tow” symptoms.

no 12v issue. Nothing dramatic. Just a loose connector. They reconnected it and reseated it and apparently things are fine. The provided Uber credit SI I can get to the south San Francisco service center and pick up the Rivian tomorrow

I will say that the 800. Number service people and the south San Francisco service center staff I talked to were all incredibly nice, helpful, understanding, etc.
I'm glad they found something that seems to explain the problem, but a loose connector on suspension component should not be causing braking trouble. I have a feeling that the ECU missing input is not being handled well.

OP
OP

Slowduck93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Exec
And you may be right. After 4 days of trouble free driving, it all started again. Parked in a parking lot, went to pull out and warning lights flashing, break pedal vibrating and VERY hard to depress, suspension needs service light, turtle/limp mode, auto headlights unavailable, system fault.

Reset the card (hazard and left steering wheel button for 20 seconds) and things went back to normal. I started driving (had to get my son to Swim practice) and called Rivian road side assistance line. They said if the reset worked, don’t worry about it. Even though this had happened before. 10 minutes later, doing 70 on the highway, it happened again. No breaks, steering got very hard (no power), everything shutting down. I pulled over, luckily by my exit. Reset the car again and drove slowly to my house where it happened again in the driveway twice.

I called and ranted a bit at Rivian, and they sent a tow truck and set up a rental car for me again (a Tahoe - the polar opposite of an electric vehicle…lol).

Towed again to South San Francisco.

That was Tuesday morning they towed the car. Today (Thursday) they called to give me an update. They have to remove and replace the brake actuators and the entire dashboard/control wiring harness. To do this they have to remove everything (everything!) in the car - seats, etc.

Work will take another 8 days.

Sheesh.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Wow! SCary. FYI-next time request an ev rental And they will.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Wow! SCary. FYI-next time request an ev rental And they will.
Interesting. Sounds like you were able to get an ev loaner. If so which service center?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Interesting. Sounds like you were able to get an ev loaner. If so which service center?
Bellevue. Had Kona for 4 days then a R1T for the remaining 3.5 weeks. I did request an ev ahead of time

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

1 connector loose and nothing works..... good times indeed

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

And you may be right. After 4 days of trouble free driving, it all started again. Parked in a parking lot, went to pull out and warning lights flashing, break pedal vibrating and VERY hard to depress, suspension needs service light, turtle/limp mode, auto headlights unavailable, system fault.

Reset the card (hazard and left steering wheel button for 20 seconds) and things went back to normal. I started driving (had to get my son to Swim practice) and called Rivian road side assistance line. They said if the reset worked, don’t worry about it. Even though this had happened before. 10 minutes later, doing 70 on the highway, it happened again. No breaks, steering got very hard (no power), everything shutting down. I pulled over, luckily by my exit. Reset the car again and drove slowly to my house where it happened again in the driveway twice.

I called and ranted a bit at Rivian, and they sent a tow truck and set up a rental car for me again (a Tahoe - the polar opposite of an electric vehicle…lol).

Towed again to South San Francisco.

That was Tuesday morning they towed the car. Today (Thursday) they called to give me an update. They have to remove and replace the brake actuators and the entire dashboard/control wiring harness. To do this they have to remove everything (everything!) in the car - seats, etc.

Work will take another 8 days.

Sheesh.
Sounds like trial and error.....
Sponsored