Catastrophic Failure?

Slowduck93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Exec
So I was on my way to get my son at middle school in my 1 month old R1T.

I stopped in the pickup line and went into hold state. I was there for about 5 or 10 minutes (it’s a slow line). I then pressed on the accelerator and all hell broke loose. Warning lights on the panel started flashing at me. The breaks didn’t work and I had to use a huge amount of force to stop the vehicle pressing the breaks. The breaks were vibrating (keep in mind this was from a dead stop to about 5 mph). A warning came on that said suspension needed immediate servicing. The break warning came on that told me to pull over immediately and call a tow truck. The anti-slip warning came on even the auto high beams said they were suddenly unavailable (it was daylight and I wasn’t using them).
R1T entered “limp mode” and gave me a max of 15 mph which was good because it was all I could do to stop it with the breaks vibrating and incredibly hard to press. Power steering went out.

pulled over and called Rivian service. They were friendly and helpful but 5 hard restarts of the car (didn’t know you could do that previously but holding the leftmost steering wheel button and the hazard button on the roof for 15 seconds seem to do it) didn’t help at all.

had to be towed to Rivian in south San Francisco.
Rivian hasn’t figured out what is wrong yet. They are running diagnostics that they say could take days.

any thoughts? Could this be a software issue or something more serious? The only clue I have is that on the service ticket they said “low voltage” issue.
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
could the vibration while breaking have something to do with ABS? seems like ECM may have lost it's mind. Too much going wrong at once.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Eesh . Sorry to hear.

Definitely has some of the symptoms of the 12v system, but I don’t recall anyone having it happen while the vehicle was in use.

Keep us posted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Slowduck93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Exec
Thanks gang. Yes. I thought about the 12v issue but wouldn’t that also affect the screens and sound system? That seemed to work just fine. Vibrating my way to the side of the road at 5 mph listening to Africa by Toto.

the vibrating was definitely breaks and only happened when you pushed on the breaks hard (which you had to do to stop).You may be right that it had something to do with ABS.
It’s so strange that this all happened at once. No signs of any problem for the first 650 miles and even up to that point things were just humming along beautifully.
Car was towed Friday. They started looking at it around 3pm today. I’m sitting here calculating my monthly payment and $/day I’m spending to drive this crappy enterprise cord explorer with 60k miles on it that rattles like I’m driving over gravel whenever I’m over 20mph.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Good luck! Rivian should of rented the loaner for you

OP
OP

Slowduck93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Exec
Yeh. Rivian rented the enterprise rent-a-car. But I didn’t think to demand a Rivian loaner. Not sure they even have them.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

One of the computer boards went bad. Lots of computers in these things with lots of electronics. As was the case with many early Tesla's, such errors can happen on early vehicles. We don't know what we don't know. Until these things are on the road for a while, what types of issues they will have are still to be discovered. Part of being an early adopter I guess. Just need to have patience. Rivian will do their best to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Your issue will also teach Rivian of the issue so that lessons learned can be applied to future software updates or hardware updates if necessary.

Sorry it happened to you. Never a comforting experience. Hopefully they had a loaner vehicle available for you, assuming you asked for one. Otherwise, they'll give you rental car credits to rent a car at no cost to you.

Best of luck. I went through my truck bricking. Wasn't fun, but Rivian did an admirable job at getting it resolved within a few days. These types of issues generally get priority, so I'm sure they'll do the same in your case. Hang in there.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks gang. Yes. I thought about the 12v issue but wouldn’t that also affect the screens and sound system? That seemed to work just fine. Vibrating my way to the side of the road at 5 mph listening to Africa by Toto.

the vibrating was definitely breaks and only happened when you pushed on the breaks hard (which you had to do to stop).You may be right that it had something to do with ABS.
It’s so strange that this all happened at once. No signs of any problem for the first 650 miles and even up to that point things were just humming along beautifully.
Car was towed Friday. They started looking at it around 3pm today. I’m sitting here calculating my monthly payment and $/day I’m spending to drive this crappy enterprise cord explorer with 60k miles on it that rattles like I’m driving over gravel whenever I’m over 20mph.
Different equipment is way less sensitive to voltage level than others. Typically display screens are designed to be a lot more tolerant than things like relays.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I’ll add my voice to the 12v chorus. The brake booster and power steering are both electrical and run off the 12v system, which could explain the brake and steering issues. The infotainment system makes much smaller demands so could still operate on a bad/low 12v system.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I feel similar braking feedback to what you’re describing when ACC is engaged, the truck stops in traffic & goes int (H) and you try to inch it forward. The truck really doesn’t want to do that, and I can hear/feel the brakes chattering/vibrating.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Having a car die in my kids school line is my worst nightmare haha! Oh the parent rage that would be unleashed on me.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I stopped in the pickup line and went into hold state. I was there for about 5 or 10 minutes
You didn't happen to be in ACC in the line, were you? In ACC after a period of time in Hold, it changes into "Press accelerator to continue" (wake me up when it moves again) mode.

Maybe next time use Park when you're parked 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored