Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sounds like a scene from Blood Simple or No Country For Old Men.
Both tremendous flicks. IIRC perhaps add a nail gun.
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Yeah, I guess youā€™d have to lay the compressed air cylinder for the cattle-killer on its side, which is a no-no. But I donā€™t think Anton would care.

Rivian R1T R1S CAT Off-Road Jack for my R1T (fit in gear tunnel & tested) 1664933278713

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not necessarily US. Just anything but China.
FYI, Rivianā€™s control arms, wheelsā€¦and probably more than a few other safety critical parts are made in china.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
FYI, Rivianā€™s control arms, wheelsā€¦and probably more than a few other safety critical parts are made in china.
True. It's hard to find a lot of things, expecially completed assemblies like a complicated truck with non Chinese components. But whenever possible, I do everything possible to avoid Chinese products.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
The Rivian version can be purchased here: https://rivianservicetools.com/Catalog/Product/TSN00597-300-A?groupId=111

Spoiler alert: It is not inexpensive.
If I understand correctly one would have to buy that jack stand or a similar stand directly from the MFR once they produce it, the EV pucks...and already have a 2-ton or 3-ton jack to pull off rotations at home.

Jack up one wheel, leave the stand behind.
Second, jack up the next wheel with a jack and EV pucks - and now you have two wheels essentially in the air at the same time. You don't need more than one of those fancy jack stands, right?

Am I missing anything else? Trying to figure out how much the above package would cost versus letting a Tire shop rotate them every 5k for me...nothing beats DIY though. ;)

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If I understand correctly one would have to buy that jack stand or a similar stand directly from the MFR once they produce it, the EV pucks...and already have a 2-ton or 3-ton jack to pull off rotations at home.

Jack up one wheel, leave the stand behind.
Second, jack up the next wheel with a jack and EV pucks - and now you have two wheels essentially in the air at the same time. You don't need more than one of those fancy jack stands, right?

Am I missing anything else? Trying to figure out how much the above package would cost versus letting a Tire shop rotate them every 5k for me...nothing beats DIY though. ;)
If you have the Rivian-compatible stand then you don't need the pucks. If you have a spare tire (really everyone should be configuring their truck this way, imo) then you only ever need to lift one wheel at a time to do a rotation, since you rotate the spare in to a position, then take the removed wheel to the next position, rinse/repeat and put the last wheel into the spare wheel well.

You will need a floor jack, of course. But if you're the kind of person who DIYs a tire rotation, I think it's fair to assume you should already have that.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
If you have the Rivian-compatible stand then you don't need the pucks. If you have a spare tire (really everyone should be configuring their truck this way, imo) then you only ever need to lift one wheel at a time to do a rotation, since you rotate the spare in to a position, then take the removed wheel to the next position, rinse/repeat and put the last wheel into the spare wheel well.

You will need a floor jack, of course. But if you're the kind of person who DIYs a tire rotation, I think it's fair to assume you should already have that.
Floor jack - check
Spare tire for my R1S - negative

I see how a spare tire would make these rotations much easier...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Floor jack - check
Spare tire for my R1S - negative

I see how a spare tire would make these rotations much easier...
Yea, I guess this is a definite advantage for the R1T folks, compared to the R1S.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Yea, I guess this is a definite advantage for the R1T folks, compared to the R1S.
Agreed - any way, thank you for listing out the steps for pulling this off!

I'll have to look into the pucks and a Rennstand once available!

This thread has become a"wiki" in my opinion for Tire Rotations on Rivians.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Eh, I'm going to dissent on the HF sentiment, here. HF can be fine for some things (I did buy some air fittings and a hose from them, recently) but I would not use anything from them for safety or life critical applications.

Harbor Freight has a long history of safety issues and recalls with their vehicle lifting products. They've recalled multiple jack stands within the last year, for example.

Harbor Freight may not be the same company they were 10 years ago, but they are still not in a place where you should trust your life to them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Agreed - any way, thank you for listing out the steps for pulling this off!

I'll have to look into the pucks and a Rennstand once available!

This thread has become a"wiki" in my opinion for Tire Rotations on Rivians.
Keep in mind (if you werenā€™t already aware) that you can also remove parts of the aero shield on the bottom and use any standard jack/jack stand. Ive done it, fairly easy but the pucks/special jack stands certainly make the job easier.

Info is on page 203 in the manual

Rivian R1T R1S CAT Off-Road Jack for my R1T (fit in gear tunnel & tested) 1664994282058

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Eh, I'm going to dissent on the HF sentiment, here. HF can be fine for some things (I did buy some air fittings and a hose from them, recently) but I would not use anything from them for safety or life critical applications.

Harbor Freight has a long history of safety issues and recalls with their vehicle lifting products. They've recalled multiple jack stands within the last year, for example.

Harbor Freight may not be the same company they were 10 years ago, but they are still not in a place where you should trust your life to them.
I guess it depends on how you look at it...

I chock and lift the vehicle (of course without placing any body parts under the vehicle), once at desired height I immediately place jackstands under the vehicle then lower the jack enough that 99% of the vehicle weight (on that side/end) is on the jackstands not the jack. At that point I leave the jack there pre-tensioned in case somehow one of the jackstands somehow lets loose. I don't trust any brand jack, even my 35yo Craftsman floor jack that was made in the USA.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I guess it depends on how you look at it...

I chock and lift the vehicle (of course without placing any body parts under the vehicle), once at desired height I immediately place jackstands under the vehicle then lower the jack enough that 99% of the vehicle weight (on that side/end) is on the jackstands not the jack. At that point I leave the jack there pre-tensioned in case somehow one of the jackstands somehow lets loose. I don't trust any brand jack, even my 35yo Craftsman floor jack that was made in the USA.
Just so I understand your argument... Are you saying that multiple pieces of poor-quality hardware is sufficient redundancy?

Because HF jack stands have specifically been recalled recently.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ I was referring to the lifting device, not the jack stands.

But, FWIW.. their new Daytona jack stands are ASME and PASE compliant and have some really great safety features:

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I was conversing with Rennstand via email today. They are planning on releasing a heavy duty/high-reach version of the Rennstand along with a Rivian-compatible puck. S00N.

They did caution about using the stand ā€œrawā€ without one of their adapter pucks attached to the Rennstand. Could be good advice but could also be a little Osborne-ism, too. But given the gravity* of the situation Iā€™d err on the side of caution.

*ISWIDT
Sponsored