First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, ID.4
Occupation
Software Dev & VOL FF
It's sad to see all the hate on the poor speaker. It is a really cool design that puts out good sound and is always there ready to party. I really hope they do the proper updates to it to fix the couple software problems it has. Im one of the ones who would have paid extra to have it.
You are lucky and have had a considerably better experience that I have. For me, pairing works poorly and sound volume is surprisingly not nearly loud enough. Third party products do a much better job — and are smaller!
Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Are you using it in the right way? (Sorry about the wrong question or asking it wrong way) it has been working flawlessly for me, as long as I turn it off after each use.

If I don’t turn it off and just put it back, I have seen the behavior your are mentioning; just a thought.

I do use it in my detached garage where it is parked quite often and while camping.
@beyondgravity - Can you give me your process for shutting it off after use? I have read the manual and I believe I am turning it off before docking it, but I get the constant on/off (or pairing/unpairing) noise even when I am not using the R1 and just happen to be within earshot. It drives me nuts!

I have heard the noise even after removing it from my Bluetooth list, so I don't think it's actually pairing/unpairing. It seems to be related to the R1 sleeping when at home and then waking up when I walk by with my phone, but I can't be sure that's what it is. I

OP
OP

Doctorjorts

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Surgeon
Clubs

I tried mine for the 1st time last night and thought, "Hey this things sounds pretty good. A lot better than my JBL speaker. I'll probably use this more than I thought". Then today, I answered my phone in my shop but couldn't hear anything. Turns out my phone was connected to the speaker that was docked in my truck 20 yds away. The speaker was turned off more than 12 hours prior to that.
That has been my biggest issue. Maybe the folks who’ve not had this problem just have a bigger house than I do 😂

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I can’t figure out the meaning of the buttons. Not intuitive at all. I reviewed the manual a few months ago when I first got the car but feel like I need to review again before I can successfully use it. As a result I don’t even try to use it.

On top of that, a couple of weeks ago it just started making these really loud connect and disconnect noises while we were driving. My daughter fiddled with it while I drove and gave her suggestions. She turned off Bluetooth on both our phones and did a few other things with no luck. Finally while she was in a shop I did something to it to silence it - but because I don’t understand the buttons I don’t remember what I did!

It’s a great concept - music, phone charging and night light in your tent - that probably should have been an option, and maybe could be rescued with software fixes (and better button icons on future ones).

Pacblue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I thought the light might be useful camping, maybe not need a lantern...well that is certainly not the case, dim and useless. I have actually not tried the speaker - may try that next. A decent, bright, rechargeable camp lantern would be hugely valuable. With its current mal-functionality I would WAY prefer a locking box there if the speaker function is....

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

So, I too have had LOTS of issues using the Camp Speaker. I haven't even attempted to use it for months. So, I tried this afternoon...

I must say, it worked as one would expect. I brought it from my truck to my office, turned it on, connected my phone and I have been listening to music for an hour and a half with ZERO issues. My truck is probably 30 feet from me and it is not dropping the connection to the Camp Speaker.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

The sounds the speaker makes when you walk next to the truck I dont think has anything to do with the speaker pairing. I delete the device from my phone after i'm done with the speaker and it still does it but one day I walked into the garage with no phone or key and it made the sounds. My best guess is the truck wakes up and that's the sound of im connected and charging still annoying though and I hope they fix it.

Riviam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor (Glacier White) 21” wheels
I thought the light might be useful camping, maybe not need a lantern...well that is certainly not the case, dim and useless. I have actually not tried the speaker - may try that next. A decent, bright, rechargeable camp lantern would be hugely valuable. With its current mal-functionality I would WAY prefer a locking box there if the speaker function is....
I'm sure this has been pointed out...but in looking through the updated Owner's Guide (10/10/23), there's a section on "Storage Drawer". Hope that's a nod to what's coming...

Rivian R1T R1S Can Rivian save the camp speaker? Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 8.10.10 PM

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Camp speaker is nice when it works, but that’s pretty rare.

Plus, I go camping to get away from all the noise, etc. I don’t wanna hear music while I’m in the woods.

Lhhaus

First Name
LH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW x1, 530i
I put mine on garage shelf and replaced with 3D printed storage drawer - find it's the best place for a kleenex box - the tall box with kleenex facing out works great!

Sponsored

tjp74

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MB AMG C43 Conv, 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Boeing
this thread makes me feel good that I am not stupid. I tried to pair it the first day after getting my R1S and gave up and never touched it. and I am an IT Engineer since early dotcom era and Ive rebuilt engines and automatic transmissions.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have had no issues pairing mine (Android). It sounds good. I have had it make the random pairing sound when in the dock but it seems to go away when I lock it. I do wish the pairing sound wasn't so damn loud though..

uphill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, undisclosed PHEV, undisclosed classic V8
I really hope they either fix this thing or open up the firmware for others to do so. The constant pairing/unpairing noise in my driveway or in the wilderness is always irritating. Always needing to re-pair it each use isn't great either.

I really like the thing otherwise.

Timothykf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt; 2022 R1T Forrest/Black
I like the comment about service tickets. I've had my truck for 12+ months tried to use the speaker a couple times in the beginning and realized is was worthless. its a waste of time!

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Well this morning I get in to go to work and its making that extremely loud ding sound. Pulled it out of the dock unit won't turn off just keeps making the loud ding sound like every minute. I was ready to throw it out the window. I guess that's Karma
Sponsored