Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Surgeon
Clubs

I was super pumped about the camp speaker at first - I use Bluetooth speakers at work frequently. I think the audio itself is actually pretty good. But as most of you have discovered, the pairing mechanism makes the thing almost entirely unusable. It will pair at random while sitting in the garage and “steal” phone calls. And then it will take forever to pair when you want it to. I tried it for a single workday and said never again.

So my question is whether Rivian has the ability to produce OTAs that will improve on the camp speaker? It should be straightforward to keep it from turning on when the darn thing is docked!! I know lots of people want extra storage there, which is fine, but I would personally still get a lot of use out of a (functional!) camp speaker.
Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I was super pumped about the camp speaker at first - I use Bluetooth speakers at work frequently. I think the audio itself is actually pretty good. But as most of you have discovered, the pairing mechanism makes the thing almost entirely unusable. It will pair at random while sitting in the garage and “steal” phone calls. And then it will take forever to pair when you want it to. I tried it for a single workday and said never again.

So my question is whether Rivian has the ability to produce OTAs that will improve on the camp speaker? It should be straightforward to keep it from turning on when the darn thing is docked!! I know lots of people want extra storage there, which is fine, but I would personally still get a lot of use out of a (functional!) camp speaker.
I agree. I would love the speaker to get an OTA update to Make it what we all want. Heck, maybe the lantern function will light up more too (I know, wishful thinking).

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

The pairing/unpairing chime always sounds at max volume on mine. Maybe they could start there? I haven’t seen any indications that this thing can get updates though.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The pairing/unpairing chime always sounds at max volume on mine. Maybe they could start there? I haven’t seen any indications that this thing can get updates though.
It should be able to because RJ talked about how they can update the lights to perform pulsing different colors, etc for a “disco mode” etc. it’s just not a high priority right now.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It will pair at random while sitting in the garage and “steal” phone calls. And then it will take forever to pair when you want it to.
We left it in a corner of the cabin and haven't looked back. It would wake me in the middle of night, through the windows and the truck, randomly making it's connection sounds while docked. Ironically, it never randomly connects unlocked. It has to have something to do with the docking. Either way, we have a storage bin there now and find way more use with that. The speaker is only used between Thanksgiving and New Year's to play holiday music because I know where my bread gets buttered.

I agree. I would love the speaker to get an OTA update to Make it what we all want. Heck, maybe the lantern function will light up more too (I know, wishful thinking).
I honestly could never get the lantern to function right. I'd end up disconnecting and reconnecting and erroneously calling my Ma before figuring out the light. There's no rhyme or reason to the buttons. This seems like an obvious cost-saving measure over little things like the 12v plugs that folks ACTUALLY use.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i thought the camp speaker was gimmicky before i got my vehicle. i found myself using it more (or trying to use it more) than i thought i would. however, as shared by others, its beyond frustrating to use because it doesnt pair well and when it does it doesnt stay paired.

my guess is due to the issues with the speaker and the lack of use, Rivian has pivoted and come up with an idea to create a storage drawer, which probably they should have out of the gate.

they should make the camp speaker optional, remove the existing wireless charging pad (which is also basically useless) and create a lockable storage drawer which has a slot in it for wireless charging of phones. *Rivian, this is free design advice for you. dm me if you need more.

Last edited:

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Are you using it in the right way? (Sorry about the wrong question or asking it wrong way) it has been working flawlessly for me, as long as I turn it off after each use.

If I don’t turn it off and just put it back, I have seen the behavior your are mentioning; just a thought.

I do use it in my detached garage where it is parked quite often and while camping.

Sponsored

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I agree, I've used it a few times but sometimes I pull it out and it has already drained because I forgot to delete it from the BT on my phone. Then it seems to have trouble pairing consistently.

This is not a new technology as I've had multiple BT speakers but this is something that feels incomplete and could have been replaced with something more useful such as storage or even large cup holders for hiking bottles (Nalgene, Yeti, etc).

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who has issues with this.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
The pairing is terrible. Literally the worst of any Bluetooth device I've ever used. I'll be switching to a drawer as soon as an option is available.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The only way this is going to see improvement from Rivian is if y’all submit service tickets.

If it isn’t working as it should: service ticket
Sponsored