DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Got an email about the wheels and...

You can now upgrade your R1T Launch Edition configuration with our new 20" All-Terrain Dark or 22" Sport Dark wheel options. While you’re at it, feel free to update your configuration — switch your model, paint color, interior and more — without losing your place in line for delivery. Just log into your account via the link below, click into your vehicle summary and scroll down to “Update Configuration” to get started.
Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Got an email about the wheels and...

You can now upgrade your R1T Launch Edition configuration with our new 20" All-Terrain Dark or 22" Sport Dark wheel options. While you’re at it, feel free to update your configuration — switch your model, paint color, interior and more — without losing your place in line for delivery. Just log into your account via the link below, click into your vehicle summary and scroll down to “Update Configuration” to get started.
Rivian R1T R1S Can now change Model? trap

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
No, you cannot change your model choice now. Unless Rivian sends you an email specifically saying you can change your model, you can't.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
No, you cannot change your model choice now. Unless Rivian sends you an email specifically saying you can change your model, you can't.
That's specifically what the email says:

New dark wheel options for Launch Edition.
Rivian R1T R1S Can now change Model? fc3f2811-9419-4f79-8fae-cd7e50e2feab

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
switch your model, paint color, interior and more
Sorry, missed the reference to switching your model. I haven't received this email yet.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I also got the same email. I want to change nothing other than the date I can drive it home.

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
This is an old thread, but wanted to wake it back up. I did some preliminary searching and didn't find much on this (apologize if this is already discussed elsewhere). I have an April, 2021 R1S order. It appears that R1T's are less scarce. I was wondering if changing my order to an R1T would get me into a Rivian any sooner than if I left it as an R1S.

But, I am paranoid that I'd lose my place in line, so I did a chat session with Rivian (which was not very helpful), and was told that it could negatively impact my delivery. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has anyone changed their model, and, if so, is there any way to decipher what it might do to your place in line?

The other concern I have is pricing. I am grandfathered in at the old price.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This is an old thread, but wanted to wake it back up. I did some preliminary searching and didn't find much on this (apologize if this is already discussed elsewhere). I have an April, 2021 R1S order. It appears that R1T's are less scarce. I was wondering if changing my order to an R1T would get me into a Rivian any sooner than if I left it as an R1S.

But, I am paranoid that I'd lose my place in line, so I did a chat session with Rivian (which was not very helpful), and was told that it could negatively impact my delivery. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has anyone changed their model, and, if so, is there any way to decipher what it might do to your place in line?

The other concern I have is pricing. I am grandfathered in at the old price.
You can change models as much as you like and retain your place in line, though it doesn't seem to be a typical 'line' per se. There have been plenty of stories of 2022 orders being fulfilled before 2018 orders, so we don't really have a great grasp of how orders are chosen for fulfillment. We do know that order date is only one piece of the puzzle, along with location and model. In general, though, R1T orders should be fulfilled quicker than R1S, as they haven't delivered any R1S orders at this point.

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
You can change models as much as you like and retain your place in line, though it doesn't seem to be a typical 'line' per se. There have been plenty of stories of 2022 orders being fulfilled before 2018 orders, so we don't really have a great grasp of how orders are chosen for fulfillment. We do know that order date is only one piece of the puzzle, along with location and model. In general, though, R1T orders should be fulfilled quicker than R1S, as they haven't delivered any R1S orders at this point.
I think location probably does matter. I am in St. Louis, two hours from Normal, Illinois. I have seen two R1T’s in my neighborhood alone. My hope was that since I am so close to Normal, St. Louis would be an early delivery destination. Not sure if that logic makes any sense. More likely, deliveries are prioritized based on how many there are for a specific region.

I am a Tesla driver and haven’t spent much time on these forums. But, I will tell you, the Tesla folks put together a massive spreadsheet with all kinds of data to help people track patterns with model X deliveries. That was a crazy ride!

Sponsored

brystal42

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 PHEV, Polestar 2, BMW 330i, Bronco
Occupation
Finance
I placed an R1S order in January 2021. I had yet to receive any indication of an updated delivery timeline. Hoping for a quicker delivery, I switched to an R1T in March, just after the price increase fiasco. Once I switched, my delivery was estimated to be December 2022 - January 2023. I was granted access to the RT1 shop in June, and I am picking up my R1T this week (or maybe next week).

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
I placed an R1S order in January 2021. I had yet to receive any indication of an updated delivery timeline. Hoping for a quicker delivery, I switched to an R1T in March, just after the price increase fiasco. Once I switched, my delivery was estimated to be December 2022 - January 2023. I was granted access to the RT1 shop in June, and I am picking up my R1T this week (or maybe next week).
I had a similar order for the R1S and was given an updated timeline for 2023 like a lot of others. Was thinking about switching to R1T but was scared I would get pushed back even further. Glad you were able to get the R1T but knowing my luck I'd get it after the R1S. Too bad I didn't do 2 reservations at the time to gamble on. I'm going for another First Mobile Drive in the R1T today, such a tease...

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
I had a similar order for the R1S and was given an updated timeline for 2023 like a lot of others. Was thinking about switching to R1T but was scared I would get pushed back even further. Glad you were able to get the R1T but knowing my luck I'd get it after the R1S. Too bad I didn't do 2 reservations at the time to gamble on. I'm going for another First Mobile Drive in the R1T today, such a tease...
I reserved a R1S due to the R1T reservations being "sold out". I really wanted the R1T, so when I found out around (late April) that I could switch to the R1T I did so right away without even considering the potential consequences. R1S delivery window I got was Sept - November, about 3 weeks after I switched to the R1T I got a call from my guide (Mid May) and took delivery in late May. Best decision ever (for me). Good luck.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I think location probably does matter. I am in St. Louis, two hours from Normal, Illinois. I have seen two R1T’s in my neighborhood alone. My hope was that since I am so close to Normal, St. Louis would be an early delivery destination. Not sure if that logic makes any sense. More likely, deliveries are prioritized based on how many there are for a specific region.

I am a Tesla driver and haven’t spent much time on these forums. But, I will tell you, the Tesla folks put together a massive spreadsheet with all kinds of data to help people track patterns with model X deliveries. That was a crazy ride!

I have similar thoughts on your regional allocation idea would make sense from a marketing perspective.
Sponsored