Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

This looks like the closest to how it is in the new configurator but does this now not have latching drawers? also what happened to the electric kettle?
Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? 1619041909689

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well, sure a nice one...I'm talking Amazon for $32 bucks. I'm talking plugging into the bed outlets.

1619039807214.png
That's a hot plate -- not an induction cooktop.

It may meet your needs... but not the same technology that Rivian is using.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
This is a tough one for me. Not sure which is worse, my FOMO or my FOCKERS.

Fear Of Missing Out is bad enough, but Fear Of Camp Kitchen Eliminating Retirement Saving is terrible! ?
There are many of us with that concern. Perhaps Rivian needs to meet the Fockers.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I don't think it's any more overpriced for what it is than any other manufacturer-branded accessory.

Sure, for many people, they may be able to check all the boxes that are relevant to themselves in a camp kitchen for a lot less money. For them, the utility isn't there, and they shouldn't buy it.

For the features (two-burner induction cook top, water pump, heavy duty slides, cable management), the package (fits directly in the gear tunnel, is ready to go without us needing to engineer and build something that will inevitably be of poorer quality), and the warranty, we'll be buying it. We have enough DIY experience in this space having done a Sprinter build to understand the value in the product, even at that price.

Sorry if you think it's cool but they priced you out. But it's really not as out there as the naysayers seem to think.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? 1619043134775

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Who's getting it? who thinks its over priced? ... I like the packaging just still on the fence about it because of the price.
Yes, I have it in my configuration. Yes, I think it is over priced. No, I'm not sure I'll go through with it.

Some thoughts:
It's just money, I can't take it with me when I die. Sure I could spend a bunch of time (and money) to build something, but I doubt the fit and finish would be as nice as the Camp Kitchen. Damn does it look nice.

I'm kinda leaning toward YOLO. Similar to getting the R1T in the first place.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't think it's any more overpriced for what it is than any other manufacturer-branded accessory.

Sure, for many people, they may be able to check all the boxes that are relevant to themselves in a camp kitchen for a lot less money. For them, the utility isn't there, and they shouldn't buy it.

For the features (two-burner induction cook top, water pump, heavy duty slides, cable management), the package (fits directly in the gear tunnel, is ready to go without us needing to engineer and build something that will inevitably be of poorer quality), and the warranty, we'll be buying it. We have enough DIY experience in this space having done a Sprinter build to understand the value in the product, even at that price.

Sorry if you think it's cool but they priced you out. But it's really not as out there as the naysayers seem to think.
I completely agree with this. That is why if I am camping and need a kitchen, it will be a full-size kitchen, inside of a 38' fifth wheel, pulled by a 1-ton diesel truck!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I’m in for now. We camp all the time. Ditching the propane as well as freeing up space needed for the stove and other things is a fun thought. I really hope they reassess and offer a base set of cookware and then optional upgraded sets for a fee. That would be a great gesture.

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? 1619048595097

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’m in for now. We camp all the time. Ditching the propane as well as freeing up space needed for the stove and other things is a fun thought. I really hope they reassess and offer a base set of cookware and then optional upgraded sets for a fee. That would be a great gesture.
I'm curious what Rivian will end up charging for the cookware.

Both Amazon and Williams-Sonoma hav a 10-piece All Clad D5 cookware set for $799. And Costco has a 13-piece for $999. You'd be the fanciest cook at the camp with one of those, I bet.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'm not sure why people think it is overpriced - it's easily the cheapest camp kitchen I've seen as any factory accessory on any pickup truck.

I'd be inclined to get it, but it doesn't check my priority boxes for camping kitcheny stuff. The sink is not useful in bear country - I wouldn't be washing dishes that close to the car, which is presumably close to my campsite. I need the induction cooktops, but I can find something standalone that I can set on the bed or on a camp table I already own and make do with that. The rest of the storage, on a slide out, with prep space, is perfect. I have built similar "camp boxes" that fit in the back of SUVs of mine in the past so everything could be easily stored and accessed. And, it doesn't have a fridge.

I'm anxiously waiting to see if they offer the base shuttle system as a standalone option, and even better, if there is a fridge option, but I'll be looking to find a way to fit a slide out fridge in the gear tunnel. If I can't make that work (I'm not convinced I'll be able to fit it since it's an odd shape), the camp kitchen may get added later.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Just posted some pictures that I had found in another thread. I am assuming yes based on:
Gear_Shuttle.png
I was just looking at that, good find. Hard to make out much detail, but the basic point is - I'd rather have a fridge mounted to that than a camp kitchen.

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As cool as the Camp Kitchen is, I have reservations...
  • $$$ As others have said, I could put my own kit together for much cheaper.
    • For induction? I'd have to shell a couple hundred maybe. Not thousands.
    • I already own camping stoves albeit, not electric. (propane or white gas)
      • I travel on my motorcycle with a Jetboil and set of small pans.
    • Plus, there is always good ol' campfire cooking.
  • Terrible use of storage space
    • As I said earlier, my base cook kit can fit on my motorcycle.
    • Of course, when cooking for groups my larger 2 burner stove takes up more space. But not a gear tunnel's worth!
    • Even a standalone induction is briefcase size.
  • Limited options when it comes to setting up/leaving camp
    • Just like Rooftop Tents, I don't like being tethered to the vehicle. Having options to move away from the vehicle is a must.
    • Does anyone want to pack up their tent or kitchen if they need to run to town real quick? What if we're in the middle of cooking and someone needs to run to town for beers?
    • Although I often camp close to my vehicle, I rarely pull my truck right up to the campfire. Certainly not when group camping.
Sponsored