Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I mean if you didn't know this was going to happen, you have your head in the sand. Being first to market with an EV truck, you had to know that all the legacy truck makers weren't going to just let that happen to their largest revenue stream without any response. And Amazon was going to just rely on one single startup manufacturer for their electric delivery strategy? No way. It's just the perfect storm of news.

Still, they have the ONLY EV truck on the market and the ONLY truck (ICE or EV) that:
  • does 0-60 3sec
  • has a 3' wading depth
  • handles like a sportscar
  • looks different and good and with a luxury interior
The Ford Lightning still looks like a Ford - tired and boring.

All that said, they do need to ramp production.
The Ford Lightning still looks like a Ford - tired and boring - that has been the best selling vehicle since time immemorial .
Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
The Ford Lightning still looks like a Ford - tired and boring - that has been the best selling vehicle since time immemorial .
May be so.... doesn't mean I want to own/drive one.

Reactions: Rad

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

May be so.... doesn't mean I want to own/drive one.
Nor do I, but there are a lot of folks who do. Probably orders of magnitude more than the Rivian at this point was what I was driving.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Nor do I, but there are a lot of folks who do. Probably orders of magnitude more than the Rivian at this point was what I was driving.
For the last 3yrs they have averaged ~900k F-150's sold each year. So yes literally an order of magnitude more :oops:

But probably a very small percentage of those the highest end Lariat trim and even then, different capabilities, different features, different use case than Rivian. So almost a different/new market.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Why the model Y? The starting price for that low quality vehicle is 60K, before you add anything with a 5 seat config, 318mil range. So the R1S at 70K -7.5K EV tax is 62.5K with 316mil range, that is a much much better value than the model Y, buy all means available. There is absolutely no reason to get the Y over the R1S unless you want a smaller vehicle. At that point though there are other EVs with better build quality available. The R1S is actually a competitor to the X, which it also beats on many fronts.

To your point, yes they need a global vehicle, and R1S is the best electric SUV so far at a good price range, so they just have to push that, and it should be rolling soon. They are also building another plant Georgia, so I do not see the hiccup.
You're exactly right, the R1S/R1T is a better value proposition for me too over Tesla, that's why I have ordered the R1T and actually want an R1S as my road trip vehicle once they get the Max pack available.

But, they need to be able to compete globally. People outside the USA don't buy giant SUVs and trucks.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
You're exactly right, the R1S/R1T is a better value proposition for me too over Tesla, that's why I have ordered the R1T and actually want an R1S as my road trip vehicle once they get the Max pack available.

But, they need to be able to compete globally. People outside the USA don't buy giant SUVs and trucks.
You make a good point. I think Australia might just be another customer for R1 vehicles, and maybe some areas in the middle east. Everyone else will just buy an R1 as a luxury or status vehicle.

But how long did it take Tesla to get the 3/Y out? So I think Rivian will run on the R1 only for about 4 to 5 years before anything else becomes a reality. That is why I believe it's a long term stock, basically, until they start selling in high volumes to China and India, the stock will not move much. The R2 will have stiffer competition as well, which is why they are trying to perfect the R1 so that their reputation will give them a head start.

I do not want to get some hate for what I will say now, but I think of Rivian as an electrified and better version of Jeep.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Their stock is a long term investment stock. If you wanted a quick dollar, that would have been if you bought at IPO price and sold when it hit 150. Otherwise, buy now, and let is sit for 10 years.

If anything, with the number of EVs coming up and major manufacturer's chipping in, Tesla should drop a bit.
I know, if this performs close to Tesla in the last 10 years one can retire early with a long term investment. LOL

Last edited:

Peter del Rio

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 rex, Jaguar XKR, Land Rover LR3
I do not want to get some hate for what I will say now, but I think of Rivian as an electrified and better version of Jeep.
A better electrified version of Land Rover without leather interior.

Land Rover / Range Rover is a niche player but Rivian is valued as major auto company which explains why it is trading in a classic stair step to a lower price where it will be valued with other niche players or be a candidate for a take over.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm buying more when it hits $30-40. They really blew it launching at such an unrealistic valuation (thanks Tesla hype!).

But longterm I think they have a good looking company and a thoughtful approach. I just don't know if they can ever live up to such and unrealistic valuation.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A better electrified version of Land Rover without leather interior.

Land Rover / Range Rover is a niche player but Rivian is valued as major auto company which explains why it is trading in a classic stair step to a lower price where it will be valued with other niche players or be a candidate for a take over.
Niche players:
Ferrari market cap - $47B
Porsche's likely market cap - >100B (yes, that's more than it's parent company)

Biggest Niche player of them all:
Tesla - $1T. I'm sure we can argue about whether they're a niche player (EVs). 2021 was VW's first year *really* selling BEV's, and the sold about half Tesla's total number.

Also, JLR does not have plans for the alternative revenue streams Rivian has, such has fleets. Nor does Ferrari or, really, Porsche. Rivian believes they have a lot of other paths of revenue (recurring fleet management value, fleet vehicles, energy solutions, recurring consumer revenue), and (hopefully) will garner a lot of value from their brand in a larger market over time.

Just because their first two vehicles remind people of a LR product, doesn't mean they plan to limit themselves the same way JLR does. Rivian plans to be producing about 1.5x as many vehicles in Normal alone than JLR as a whole sells in the U.S.. With Georgia they should be at about 5x.

We'll see obviously, but it doesn't seem like a great valuation comparison, while also underestimating the value that niche companies can bring.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I'm buying more when it hits $30-40.
If Rivian ever hits that low, considering that their eval, with all the funding they've received, does put them at a higher value, would mean Rivian would be going kaput. I mean, I do agree that currently Rivian is over-evaluated, but $30-40 would be under-evaluating them.

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
The R1s should do quite well in Australia, especially the R1S - with the caveat that we're a much smaller market overall, etc. The R1T might work - we've got a long history with "utes", but not much with "pickups". Given the likely high prices though, the volume will be lower than those of more mass market companies, especially from China and other Asian countries.

Of course, it will be years away before they get here since we need a RHD version (with 240V outlets as a minimum change, etc). The wait might be good for us though as we might be able to vote out the current inept government and have a chance for better EV support, which in turn might aid Rivian and other EV companies to come here. We need as many as possible to do so, since the conditions here won't promote any significant home grown solutions.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Their stock is a long term investment stock. If you wanted a quick dollar, that would have been if you bought at IPO price and sold when it hit 150. Otherwise, buy now, and let is sit for 10 years.

If anything, with the number of EVs coming up and major manufacturer's chipping in, Tesla should drop a bit.
I had a sell order at 180 :-/

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
And they were able to market it being low cost, starting at $39k, although in reality once configured to what most people will want it is online with R1T prices.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

And they were able to market it being low cost, starting at $39k, although in reality once configured to what most people will want it is online with R1T prices.
i think a lot people saw this coming. it's the exact same thing Tesla did with the Model 3. of course, if you had never been interested in EVs you probably expected that cheerier version just like you can get a cheaper version of any other ICE vehicle.
Sponsored